It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2001, 07:28 AM   #1

sweet__Girl HB User
zinc and vitamin b5

I would just like to give some information on two popular vitamin supplements that people are taking for their acne. First of all remember this is only my opinion but I have studied nutrition so I feel to be some what better informed. About zinc. First of all I feel zinc can be helpful to most to help heal breakouts faster(it helps with wound healing) and it also supports the immune system so possibly also prevents some breakouts. But the thing you must remember with zinc is that it is toxic in large amounts which I feel would definately not help with acne. Zinc supplements have even caused death in too high of doses. The normal amount of zinc someone needs in one day is 12 mg a day for women and 15mg for men. High doses when taken regularly over time block copper absorption, this can lead to a weak heart muscle. Doses even just a few mgs above the RDI (recommended daily intake) can also block iron absorption. Too much zinc over too long of a time will block zinc's normal escape route from the body and this is what leads to toxicity. I used to take zinc about 50 mgs a day, but I only took these for a few weeks then I cut down to the amount in a multi vitamin which is about 22.5%. Since zinc is fortified in many cereals and such taking too much from vitamins over too long a time plus foods high in zinc can in my opinion lead to a toxic state. Some foods high in zinc are whole grains, meat, soybeans, yogurt, and enriched cereals. Maybe it would be helpful to start with a higher dose and to cut down after a few weeks. This is only my opinion.
Also it is possible to be toxic from too much B5 (pantothenic acid), even though it is a water solube vitamin. I don't remember the actual RDI for women and men for B5 but my multivitamin has 25 mg and that 250%. A toxic condition with this can lead to problems with the digestive system, nervous system and could cause water retention. That's just some information I thought I would share, but I would recommend of course to talk with your doctor or at least a pharmacist to discuss with how much and for how long to remain on certain dosages if you chose to take any vitamin supplement.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2001, 04:22 PM   #2

Infinity HB User
Re: zinc and vitamin b5

Hey girl, I didn't read far enough down to
have a comment for your B5 monologue, but
about Zinc: You *can* supplement with much
higher doses than the RDA, but you have to
do it on an empty stomach. If it is taken
on an empty stomach, it won't interfere with
vitamin absorption. Also, it's well-known
that you also need to supplement copper if
you take Zinc. You should do this at the
opposite end of the day that you take your
zinc, so that they're not competing for
absorption, but there's still plenty of
copper in your system when you take your
Zinc..

--=Infinity

Old 02-20-2001, 05:07 PM   #3

cynister HB User

I'm not so sure your B5 analysis is correct. Thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention but if this was true I severly doubt they'd even be allowed to sell B5 in 1000mg tablets/capsules. I'm no expert but I've read countless web sites on this vitamin now and very few profesionals have speculated at best that pantothenic acid can lead to being toxic in large doses... it's my understanding that it is very much like vit c in that you can safely take very large amounts of it.
Any medical justification to any of this?

Old 02-20-2001, 05:57 PM   #4

sweet__Girl HB User

Sorry to upset anyone but this is just what I have been taught in my college nutrition classes. I just looked this stuff up in my notes and textbooks. You are correct that it probably would be hard to overdose from vitamin b5 but it is possible. And you definately can become toxic from too much zinc. Ask your doctor.

Old 02-21-2001, 01:54 AM   #5

sternrad941 HB User

people have been discussing this crap forever. most people on this board understand the deal with zinc because its brought up so much. also, if you learned that pant acid can be toxic in college i suggest you transfer or something (if you're still there), because in every reliable book ive ever looked at i saw this---"Pantothenic Acid Toxicity: NO KNOWN TOXICITY" the only thing it may contribute to is diarear. take care

-sternrad-<p>[This message has been edited by sternrad941 (edited 02-21-2001).]

Old 02-21-2001, 05:05 AM   #6

Infinity HB User

Sweet girl I've read a slew of reports on
Zinc and I've never seen *anything* that
reported Zinc toxicity from constant use
of less than 100mg daily. If you have any
reports of this, please post the link.

--=Infinity

Closed Thread