It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2001, 04:43 PM   #1

q-tip2 HB User
Whats Hydroquinone cream?

Hi, ive been reading up that it helps fade hyperpigmentaion.

Do I need a prescription?
How fast does it work?

Also, i read that it works by killing cells that make melanin.

So, once those cells die, are they permanent? I mean, if I tan (not on purpose mind you) would i have sections that are tanned and sections that are untanned?

Old 06-17-2001, 09:03 PM   #2
(female)

EbonyF HB User
Re: Whats Hydroquinone cream?

Hello!

No you don't need a prescription for hydroquinone unless you're getting the 4% version. The most common in stores is 2%, and if you look hard enough, you may stumble across a 3% version. And as for how fast it works. Well it depends on the individual. Some people may see results within a week, and sometimes it may take up to a month. I have been using a cream with hydroquinone AND aha's, and I noticed improvements within a week.

Also, hydroquinone does NOT kill off the cells which make melanin. It just turns them off. That is why it is a MUST, I repeat, a MUST to wear sunscreen while using hydroquinone. Yes, some come with sunscreen in already, yet they never tell you the spf. So always dab on your daily spf on top of the cream.

If you don't wear sunscreen, then you're not helping the problem. You will either wind up re-darkening your marks (if you got them to lighten), or you will not see any improvement at all. SO make sure you where sunscreen.

Also, if you are looking for hydroquinone in stores, it is available in your local supermarket and/or department stores (ie: Wal-Mart, K-mart, Target, etc.) Just look in the ethnic, body lotion/cream, or acne med aisles and you will run into it. ..It is usually labeled as being a "whitening, lightening, brightening, bleaching" cream. That's probably why a lot of people don't know what "hydroquinine" is. It is usually in these products. Just check the ingredient label.

Well sorry for the rambling. I am studying for a class, and wanted to take a break heh. Well good luck!

p.s. Almost forgot. Just apply the cream to the MARKS. Not your whole face. ^_^

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2001, 10:41 PM   #3
(female)

goldengirl HB User

I've been using Retin A Micro and a hydroquinone 4% cream called Glyquin. Both are by prescription. I have seen great results in 1 week! I'm not kidding, it's the best my skin has looked in years. I'm not breaking out and my skin is getting really soft and smooth and even the color seems brighter and healthier. But you MUST use sunscreen religiously or it's all for nothing. You need one with UVA/UVB protection. I'm doing this in preparation for a beta peel in one month. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm trying to get rid of a lot of hyperpigmentation and red marks.

Old 06-18-2001, 08:52 AM   #4

q-tip2 HB User

Does it cost a lot?

Closed Thread