It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2001, 07:27 PM   #1

kmoney HB User
Can antibiotics make your acne worse down the road?

I had mild acne when I started using Benzamycine at 16. I used the drug with great success (completely clear) for 2 and a half years. When I turned 19 this year it just stopped working, and the acne came back except much worse than before. I assume the acne became resistent to the eyrthromycine antibiotic in the Benzamycine. Now it is more inflammed, and always near my chin and jaw area. So, my question is did the eyrthromycine antibiotic in the Benzamycine make my acne worse? Or is it that my hormones are just raging more now? I worry about this because I am about to switch from minocycline to zithromax, and I don't want my acne to eventually build up a resistence and be worse again down the road. Anyone have advice or a similar experience?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2001, 09:57 PM   #2

sweet__Girl HB User
Re: Can antibiotics make your acne worse down the road?

Maybe try benzaclin. It is the same as benzamycin only with clindamycin instead of erythromycin. I feel zithromax is a decent antibiotic that you only have to take about five days a month. Also are you a female? Chances are if you are female that your hormones are just changing. Maybe a bcp could help you since your breakouts are near the chin area and supposedly that is the area affected most by hormones. Hope this helped some. I really don't think antibiotics could worsen breakouts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2001, 02:33 PM   #3

Aquareina HB User

I heard that the benzoyl peroxide in benzamycin is supposed to prevent bacterial resistance against erthromycin. Also, if you're a girl then bcp might be a good option. Sweet Girl's right, breakouts on the chin and jawline are usually hormonally related. Good Luck!

Old 04-11-2001, 02:58 PM   #4

gianni HB User

Yeah, I heard the same thing, but consider this. Thi only way to prevent bacterial resistance is to kill the resistant bacteria. And if BP can do that, then why use the erythromycin at all?

-G

Old 04-11-2001, 08:56 PM   #5

kmoney HB User

thanks for the replies - I am a guy just to clear that up. I talked to my doc today who prescribed the benzamycine originally and later the differin and minocycline when the Benzamycine stopped working. He said I can probobly start using Benzamycine again because all the bacteria that was resistent to it has probobly been killed off by the minocycline in the past 16 weeks. I like that idea because the benzamycine was money for kmoney.

Old 04-14-2001, 02:28 PM   #6

mike_g HB User

Benzamycin seemed to stop working for me after three months or so. I've been using Benzaclin for the past two weeks and am very satisifed with the results. Besides containing clindamycin instead of erythromycin, the other major difference is that it does not contain alcohol.<p>[This message has been edited by mike_g (edited 04-14-2001).]

Old 04-14-2001, 03:39 PM   #7

sweet__Girl HB User

..so that's why it's not as drying. Usually benzamycin helps people for years at a time though.

Closed Thread