It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2002, 10:15 PM   #1
(male)

just this guy HB User
whats all this Accutane talk im hearing...

i havent been on this board in a while so i dont know whats going on....

whats it this Accutane stuf???

i hear its for acne?

where can i get it?

does it work?

lol sorry i need to know

thanks....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2002, 03:59 AM   #2

Krekelman HB User
Re: whats all this Accutane talk im hearing...

It's prescription..it's the last thing derms will prescripe. They might be even more carefull now since the kind that flew the airplane in the building, used Accutane.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2002, 05:53 AM   #3

Rulle69 HB User

I have used accutane and its the BEST. And don't believe these preachers of doom, accutane isn't that harsh that everyone think it is. I was scared when I got the prescription when I read all these "accutane will kill you posts". Well, it cleared me up, I got no pimples at all and haven't gotten any since I stopped. During the course I only had some dry skin, dry lips and a slight stiffnes in my lower back. My liver and cholesterol values was PERFECT during the course and it was the best antidepressant I ever got my hands on. Never been happier, and I still am.

So go to your local derm and get a precription on accutane and you have a 90% chance of never getting pimples again.

The naysayers on this board are most likely among the 10% that don't get that good results/relaps. I don't believe in the depressive effect of this drug. Of course you get depressed if you are on this final solution and it wont clear you....

Old 01-09-2002, 06:21 AM   #4

agaddy HB User

I agree with the post above. Accutane is the only thing that works. How long your pimples stay away is another question, but as for my husband they have stayed away so far for 11 years...

Old 01-09-2002, 05:09 PM   #5

reeny HB User

I disagree. Accutane is definitely not the only thing that works and it DOESN'T WORK for everyone. I don't believe it cures acne. Just know the side effects and realize that they may happen to you. I will always wish I hadn't taken it and will always warn others.

Old 01-09-2002, 05:22 PM   #6

Enigma130 HB User

Reeny, what side affect did you get from accutane? Cuz I noticed you said you wished you never tried accutane... Is it any thing really serious? Are you ok? I'm thinking of using accutane if the topical medication I'm using right now dosen't work.

Old 01-10-2002, 03:38 AM   #7

Rulle69 HB User

A lesson in medical psychology.

If you read about a side effect, and are afraid of it. You will most likely "get" it. The power of the mind is extremely powerful.

Get your life a new start and get accutane. It will cure you. If you are young, have extremely sever acne or are female you may need to retake it.

Old 02-06-2002, 08:40 PM   #8

wendypooh18 HB User

Im 18 years old and am about to start acutane in about two weeks. I have had acne for 7 years and am tired of fighting it. I am scared of the side effects. i was thinking of backing out of taking it because of some stuff i have read if anyone has any advice please feel me in i well proble go through with it any way just to say i tryed it.
thanks

------------------
wendy

Old 02-06-2002, 08:46 PM   #9
Inactive

EddieD HB User

That whole airplane thing with the boy turned back negative about using Accutane.

Old 07-19-2002, 08:22 PM   #10

SanDiegoMike HB User

I just started Accutane 3 weeks ago.

I cannot understand why anybody would be "afraid" of going on Accutane. If you have a level head going into the medication, I don't see how Accutane treatment is going to warp your world into a suicidal wasteland. I jumped at the opportunity to get treated with Accutane.

In my opinion, Accutane side-effects should be tolerable to all but the MOST sensitive of patients. Chances are, if you've endured Acne to the point of needing Accutane, you will surely be able to endure the Accutane itself.

Remember, critics will always come out of the woodwork to "warn people" against it, while the other 90% of people who took the drug have nothing to say about it - because it did what it said it would do and cleared their skin. On the Internet, I frequently see people who say, "Accutane did not work". However, you must stop to think why these people are still posting to Acne bulletin boards - their acne was not cured. How many people on this board HAVE clear skin anyway? Probably close to 0%. It's a very skewed statistical pool to be asking questions to.

In person, among my friends and acquaintances (in other words, places OTHER than the Internet), Accutane has had 100% success (I have talked with at least a dozen people). Maybe the reason some people don't think Accutane works is because they stay inside all day looking at Acne forums while they're afraid to go outside and face the world with their blemished skin.

Well, rest assured, critics, that Accutane came with pages and pages of warnings. Believe me when I say it's in Roche's interest to warn people of side-effects. Acne sufferers don't really need your discouraging remarks about lost salvation. Remember, the placebo effect is very powerful, and you might be doing more harm than good although you have good intentions.

Old 07-19-2002, 08:33 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

ForgottenFaith HB User

"I cannot understand why anybody would be "afraid" of going on Accutane. If you have a level head going into the medication, I don't see how Accutane treatment is going to warp your world into a suicidal wasteland." I hope this dont offend anyone but I totally agree with that. Some people are stronger than others and with a mindset thinking that this drug will not do anything to you would really help.

Old 07-20-2002, 12:44 AM   #12

RAline HB User

I am on my 2nd day of accutane, and I was a little freaked out at first. In fact, I've read enough on these boards that I have decided to take a break from the internet for a while. I really believe that suggestion will push me over the edge. I have chronic anxiety disorder, so it's difficult enough not to worry.

However, I know those that had bad luck are just trying to help. It's hard to tell how any med will affect any one person. I am excited about the opportunity, and my derm told me that even if it doesn't clear my acne up completely, it will be much more manageable after having been on accutane. I can deal with that. I don't want to be on antibiotics forever because those wreck more havoc in the long run.

Remember, antibiotics are meant to alter your immune system. Well, they altered mine to the point that I thought I had a brain tumor. I was having all these neurological symptoms -- turns out -- it was the antibiotics.

So, I will be happy if I never have to be on them again. If I have to treat forever with a topical, no big deal. But I am being very careful with my health as I try accutane. I'm applying sunscreen and moisturizer liberally every day, and I'm already using eye drops (I wear contacts) and chapstick several times a day. I haven't started getting dry yet, but I know it's coming. I am also making sure I don't drive at night and don't drink alcohol.

So, I think I'm taking reasonable precautions.

I am going away for a little while. I'll keep a daily accutane diary, in hopes it will keep me patient and sane. I just want to tell all of you that I hope you do well and find success with whatever treatment you are using.

Old 07-20-2002, 03:08 AM   #13

DC HB User

I have trouble believing success stories when they are so inaccurate,

i.e.í So go to your local derm and get a precription on accutane and you have a 90% chance of never getting pimples again.í

This is complete misinformation and sounds like an advert.

The largest study on acne relapse associated with Accutane use is below and shows a different story.

----------------------
Predictive factors for failure of isotretinoin treatment in acne patients: results from a cohort of 237 patients.

Lehucher-Ceyrac D, de La Salmoniere P, Chastang C, Morel P.
Dermatology. 1999;198(3):278-83.
Service de Dermatologie, Hopital Saint-Louis, Paris, France.

BACKGROUND: The efficacy of oral isotretinoin in acne has been established, though the role of the mean daily dose (MDD) is still unclear.

OBJECTIVE: To determine the predictive factors of resistance to oral isotretinoin and the role of the MDD of isotretinoin on relapse of acne while taking into account patient characteristics and the total cumulative dose (TCD).

METHODS: Two hundred and thirty-seven patients treated with oral isotretinoin for the first time were enrolled by a single dermatologist. Patients with closed comedonal acne and with hyperandrogenism received adequate therapy prior to isotretinoin.

RESULTS: Closed comedonal acne was the only predictive factor of resistance to isotretinoin with an adjusted OR = 2.7 (95% CI: 1.0-7.3). The estimated rates of relapse at 1, 3 and 5 years were 14, 40 and 48%, respectively. Age and grade of facial acne were the only predictive factors for relapse with adjusted relative risks of 0.6 (95% CI: 0.4-0.8 ) for age >/= 20 and 1.5 (95% CI: 1.0-2.2) for grade > 3. CONCLUSION: MDD, TCD, closed comedonal acne and hyperandrogenism that have been adequately treated prior to isotretinoin treatment had no prognostic value for relapse.

----------------------

Anyway Accutane is a serious medication for a horrible condition i.e serious nodular acne and is reserved for only this type of acne because is has been associated with many serious adverse drug reactions. The FDA indicated last year that Accutane ranks 4th in the top ten list of drugs attracting serious adverse drug reactions (ADRís) out of 500,000 drugs.

Make sure if you are thinking of taking the drug you do your research on the drug so that you can make a well informed decision. Do not rely on posts by people that are inaccurate and promote the drug.

Take care

Old 07-20-2002, 03:41 AM   #14

DC HB User

SanDiegoMike

You state :

'Believe me when I say it's in Roche's interest to warn people of side-effects.'

This is completely inaccurate. I trust you unaware of the fact that Roche have been reprimanded for not passing on serious adverse drug reactions in relation to Accutane to the Food and Drugs Administration (FDA), falsely adverting Accutane and never warning patients about psychological side effects until 1998, some 16 years after the drugs introduction although they had thousands of people reporting depressive symptoms whilst on and off the drug. Also why did Roche warn France in 1993 that the drug could cause depression and other mental illness some 5 years before other countries? Why did they not warn the rest of the world?

Similar with birth defects, they only appropriately warned patients some 9 months after the introduction of the drug that it could cause birth defects when they started to be born, although Roche, from what I understand were warned some 10 years before by one of their consultants that the drug would cause birth defects.

Add to this the fact that Roche was convicted last year for instigating one of the largest corporate frauds and fined some $1 billion by both the US government and European Union; you do not have a company that is well known for its candour. With all this going on you want to tell us that itís in Rocheís interest to warn people of side effects that will no doubt affect ĎProfití!!!!!!!

Old 07-20-2002, 09:24 AM   #15

jeremy HB User

Anyone considering taking Roaccutane needs to do their own research (the good points and the bad points) and make their own 'informed' decision.

For me it was easy. I was at the end of my rope. I was desperate. I had moderate-severe acne for over ten years without a single day of respite. I started on Roaccutane and within 2-3months my acne stopped completely. I have not had another pimple outbreak since this time (about 5-6 years ago now).

For ***Me*** , this drug worked.

It turned my life around - I now have a normal life - something that I craved for every single day during my ten years of hell whilst I had acne.

I am not promoting the drug or the drug company that makes it - I'm just telling you all exactly what happened for me using this drug.

good luck and best wishes to everyone out there...

Jeremy

Closed Thread