It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2002, 12:56 PM   #1
(female)

wendiblu HB User
Connection between acne and allergies?

I was just curious how many of you acne sufferers also had allergies? i have seasonal allergies and i am allergic to cats and some fruits and vegetables. i just thought there might be some connection. please write in

Old 08-04-2002, 02:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
Re: Connection between acne and allergies?

I personally have a breakout cycle. I breakout the most and worst between Mid-August through April or May (like 8 or 9 months) but when I was younger I used to be allergic to Burmuda Grass (maybe I still am but I don't get any of the symptoms, but I don't play in grass anyway) so that is something that I'm wondering about. I don't have any allergies (barely any asthma) I'll have to do a search on what allergens are highest in those months. Anyway, I posted this on the "diet causes acne...but HOW?" thread (more info under that topic though).

Gultens...
Try doing a search on Wheat Allergy, Gluten Intolerance, and Celiac Disease.

If you are allergic to grass, you may also be allergic to grains. This includes, rice, corn, wheat, barley, rye and some oats. On another acne board and PCOS board people had success low carbing, and even greater success (100% clear) on Lectin-Free and Gluten-Free diets. However Wheat is the biggest aggrevator and seems to fall under all the catagories that we've been seeing hormonal, physical, and skin improvements in when eliminated. It's a Grass, a Carbohydrate, A Lectin, and contains Gluten!

If you are intolerant to glutenous foods, it may take years, decades even before if finally screws your body up. Slowly glutens will mess up your digestive, metabolic, and hormonal systems in a way that make it look as if it's a problem with Candidasis, PCOS, Insulin Resistance, Hypothyrodism, Diabetes, etc. All of those hormonal problems and more can have acne as a SYMPTOM!

Remember Gluten is in A LOT of products, hence why some people feel that avoiding dairy is the answer, well, they would probably get much better results avoiding Wheat products. If you want to be completely clear, you might have to avoid not only wheat, barley and rye, but other gluten containing foods too (their derivatives). Also, you don't necessarily have to be allergic to grass for this to be true, try getting tested by your doctor or just remove wheat from your diet and see what happens.

Oh and don't worry, there are plenty of recipes, mixes, and already made foods (some we already eat--some at the grocery store, restuarants, health food stores, or mail order)that will enable you to still have fun. Yup, despite being Gluten Free, you can still eat certain breads, pastas, and desserts even. ;-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2002, 07:08 PM   #3
Unregistered

There is a connection to allergies and acne. One of the reasons alot of people break out as a result of consuming dairy products is because they are allergic to them. The same goes for soy products.

Old 08-10-2002, 08:34 PM   #4
(female)

wendiblu HB User

i actually meant other allergies as well as food allergies. curious to see if there is a low immune system connection.

Old 08-10-2002, 09:50 PM   #5

Collie HB User

Yep, I have enviromental allergies. Never thought there could be a connection though. Hmmmmmmm, interesting.

Closed Thread