It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2002, 12:55 PM   #1

ashland HB User
why does salicylic acid cause breakout?

You know... I've tried everything on the plannet for my skin.... but I keep running back to drug store products (because can 100 companies really be wrong??) Anyhow... I just bought a Neutrogene Deep CLean with Salicylic Acid.... and other sal. acid stuff and they make be break out like no tomorrow!!!! Why is that? I thought its supposed to clean up bazcteria in your pores! Or is it like Renin-A... do you have to use those products for weeks and let everything come to the top?

Old 04-13-2002, 02:31 PM   #2

GummiGurl HB User
Re: why does salicylic acid cause breakout?

I have the same problem and for me the reason I brake out from those products is because they over dry and irritate my skin. That might be your problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2002, 02:35 PM   #3

Eclear HB User

I have the exact same problem, I brake out all the time from salicylic acid for some reason, so I try to avoid buying products with that ingredient in it. Benzoil proxide works some, but later it causes more for me...

Old 04-13-2002, 02:59 PM   #4
Veteran

xKaShyLahx HB User

i once used a lotion containing that same acid & it irritated my skin & made me break out its a good thing i only used it on one area of my face coz god knows what would of happened, the best thing to do is stay away from that stuff especially if you got sensitive skin like me!

Old 04-13-2002, 03:17 PM   #5

DOGPOUND2K HB User

sal acid breaks u out cause thats what it suppose to do at first its cleaning out the pores so u break out first before u get clear thats how it works † thats how murad products is that contain sal acid

Old 04-13-2002, 03:39 PM   #6
Veteran

xKaShyLahx HB User

well it left me broken out 4 over a month thats not right, some how i dont think so rememba what might work 4 you may not work 4 others

Old 04-13-2002, 04:04 PM   #7

Nessa HB User

Yep, like most people have said, your better of staying away from that stuff.
Ive used those Neutrogena products (including the skin clearing foundation) and they made my skin, especially my chin, flare up like there was no tomorrow.
Someone else mentioned Benzoyl peroxide. I was given that after I came off of Accutane to help with the odd breakout.All it did was make my skin turn so red that it was nearly purple, and when that cleared I had a mad breakout that took weeks to get under control.
I suppose if you have sensitive skin, no matter how much you want the spots to go away, you should stick to gentle stuff.

Old 04-13-2002, 09:05 PM   #8

jad211 HB User

It is not unusual for BHA (salycic acid) to cause breakouts when you first start using them. But if your breakouts do not go away after a month or two, it's probably got something in it that's irritating your skin and you will never clear up if you keep using it. Unless you are allergic to salycic acid or have extremely sensitive skin, it's usually just a matter of finding the right BHA for your skin. I love using BHA, but it took me alot of trial and error to get it right =)

Old 04-13-2002, 09:09 PM   #9

DOGPOUND2K HB User

exactly jad thats what i'm talking about... i know SaL acid worked for my razor bumps that i had

Old 04-14-2002, 08:22 PM   #10
Unregistered

It seemed to make my face feel dry for like ten minutes. Then it would feel soo oily. Benzo always worked btter for me.

Closed Thread