It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2002, 07:57 AM   #1

chrono HB User
list the Mucous foods here!

I need the list of Mucous foods so i can keep away from them!

Old 09-10-2002, 08:37 PM   #2
Inactive

plymouth HB User
Re: list the Mucous foods here!

er.....ummmmmmm......

...do you know about search engines?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2002, 11:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

I posted this under another mucous topic. Feel free to luv me or hate me for it ;-)

I've been trying to figure out how to answer this post, but it's a bit hard since there's some misconceptions about this. Now we all NEED a certain amount of mucous in our system to protect us from bacterial infections and to form the mucousal lining in our digestive system. Taking Probiotics helps with this.

While Systemic Yeast can cause acne, as far as I know, Mucous doesn't. Where did this theory come from? I can't find anything on the internet about this and I tried various searches. Although, I do agree that if we have too much, it's rather annoying and definately dairy is a contributor. However I don't always get mucous in my throat so there must be a certain type or amount of dairy, etc that does it for me.

While there may indeed be foods that form mucous, Starchy foods (sugar) aren't one of them (grains, legumes, peas, lentils, corn, potato, sweet potato, yam, plantain, & squash). Starch/Sugar and Refined Salt actually cut down your amount of mucous and could eventually weaken your immune system. Also, some of these starches cause intolerances so you might be better off avoiding them anyway.

Then again, like I stated above there seems to be some misconceptions, and with that, here's a list of mucous forming foods (composed from 4 diff. sites):

dairy foods
soy foods
chocolates
nuts
shellfish
white sugar
refined carbs (white flour bread, white rice, cakes etc)
fried foods
honey, maple syrup-in moderation
whole grains--in moderation
polyunsaturated oils (omega 3s etc)--in moderation

LOL and to contradict the above list, here's "Non-Mucous Forming" Foods:
Cultured foods (yogurt, kefir, etc...probiotics)
Fruits (citrus, berries, etc)
Vegetables (cabbage, onions, garlic, spinich, etc)
Whole grains
Seafoods
Legumes/Pulses
Nuts
Herbal teas

See the problem? It seems like a lot of heresay or maybe all foods cause mucous. Some of these foods are starches so perhaps certain ones do form mucous. In that case I would not only cut out dairy (that would include bread, pudding, chocolate, etc) but also refined flours and sugar.

Frankly none of those lists make much sense to me, unless they are refering to foods that people are allergic to. Remember that you would have to be ALLERGIC to these in order for it to cause problems, such as having Hay Fever, Asthma, etc. In that case you would have to avoid 1 or more of the following:

Soy
Dairy
Fish
Shellfish
Peanuts
Nuts
Eggs
Wheat

See, Mucous is like your body's defense mechanism and if you have too much, it definately means that you have some sort of problem. So if you eat foods that you are Allergic or Intolerant to, your defenses will overreact and can cause a build up of mucous and if it's too much it can clog your lymphatic system. So if your lymph system can't drain, your body will build up on toxins. That's the only possible way I can think of mucous contributing to acne, but it's not the cause. The allergy is.

Old 09-11-2002, 09:15 AM   #4

poshgyrl HB User

sweetjade..u sound very knowledged in these stuffs..i like to read your posts as they are very informative..ok well u said that u couldn't find any mucous forming theories for acne..well i juz ordered a book from the internet ..well its a "special dieting"program to cut down the mucous in your body if i am not mistaken..i can't speculate on the details as i have not received the book yet...well the i guess if u look up to the post "acne gone in three days"..u will know..well i have ordered the book from the same author

Old 09-11-2002, 10:04 AM   #5

*Angela* HB User

Then what about lemon juice? How does it fit into this? Does it help fight acne by aiding digestion, detoxing, providing Vitamin C, or doing all of these?

Old 09-11-2002, 11:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Anything that's acidic (lemon juice, limes, other fruits) will cut grease, oil, and thickish sticky stuff (like mucous), hence why they say to follow the lemon juice diet (detox). It may also help kill some additional bacteria because of the acid, but remember too much acid in your system can also cause problems.

Old 09-11-2002, 01:00 PM   #7

avgjoe HB User

what will too much acid in the system do?

Old 09-11-2002, 01:09 PM   #8
(male)

Sebum HB User

Acid eats away, so you can get sore throats, tears in the esophagus, heartburn, etc...

Old 09-11-2002, 07:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Yup and a good example of that is when we eat Pineapples. How many of you get a scratchy or wierd feeling tongue after soo many? I do.

Another example is Probiotics. They help create Lactic Acid in your system, but if you drink the Liquid form or chew the Chewables, you'll also notice that same feeling above as with the pineapples and possibly also a semi-sore throat type of feeling. That's what they do to me, so I take the Capsule form.

Since the Lemon Diet is supposed to be temporary, I wouldn't worry about it, but realize that when you are eating fruits only with this, you are upping you acid level. However I heard that taking vitamins & minerals brings it down to a more balanced level. Hence the creation of the Acid-Alkaline Diet (don't know too much about it but there are sites with the listing of which foods are acidic or alkaline).<p>[This message has been edited by SweetJade1 (edited 09-11-2002).]

Closed Thread