It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2002, 12:55 PM   #1

emarion HB User
hard vs soft water

I grew up with a water softener, and now that I don't have one my skin is so dry and I'm wondering if soft water can reduce breakouts too?

Old 08-29-2002, 04:47 PM   #2

Mr. Right HB User
Re: hard vs soft water

I asked this question awhile back. Didn't get any repsonses. It would stink if water was the cause of acne, but I doubt it is.

Hard and soft vary in ph balance, but I don't think the ph difference would effect our skin as it does say, tropical fish.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2002, 05:26 PM   #3

RAG HB User

Ya know, you guys might be onto something. I dunno. I just know that when we moved into this current house, which has well water, my skin got worse. I've stopped drinking our water and go with bottled instead, but I have often wondered if just washing my face with this water could be having an effect. Wonder if there are any studies out there about this stuff...

Old 08-29-2002, 06:03 PM   #4

Tari28 HB User

Hey Rag, I was just reading what you said about well water and I too have well water. Drink it (filtered) and wash my face with it as well. I was thinking about this the other day myself...wondering if that could be the cause...That would totally stink if washing my face with the well water was making me break out!!! I think I may try a little experiment and go buy a lot of bottled spring water and drink it as well as wash my face with it...do this for a week and see what happens. Sounds kinda silly i guess, but that would be so crazy if its actually the water giving me problems!!!

Old 08-30-2002, 04:02 AM   #5

MelloVball HB User

Yeah, definatly well water, I went to a summer home like thing with well water, which I had to wash in, but didn't drink, and my skin got EXTREMLY bad...almost like I was allergic to it or something...
So maybe it is causing breakouts?? Who knows, there are SO many things...it's insane to think about, lol.

Old 08-30-2002, 04:42 AM   #6

emarion HB User

i think for most of us it is definately something internal (hormones, etc) that causes acne. but outside things might aggravate it, and just last night i read in paula begoun's new beauty bible that hard water leaves deposits on your skin that can clog pores. go figure.

Old 08-30-2002, 08:55 PM   #7

Dimwheel HB User

When I lived with my parents I had soft water. Then I moved out and went to college and had hard water. I have to say that I like hard water the best because I never feel like I get clean with soft water. It always leaves a film of soap on my skin. I don't know if I break out more one way or the other but I feel more clean with hard.

Old 08-30-2002, 09:50 PM   #8

KC Lee HB User

We had hard water all my life until about a month ago when we switched to soft. I have not seen any change in my skin at all.

Old 08-30-2002, 09:57 PM   #9

SToPHaTinG HB User

Water doesn't have any effect in my book for a few reasons.
I lived in an pretty old house (100 years old) for my childhood until 15 and I developed acne when I was 15. My acne at 15 was mild.
I moved to a newly built home for 2 years it increasing got worse.
Now I live in a 50 year old house and my acne is a little bit better than before.
All these houses didnt have well water.

Old 08-31-2002, 02:11 AM   #10

depressed angel HB User

We just switched to soft water about 2 weeks ago. I've been testing it out for the past week to see if there would be any change in my skin and I have to be honest, I have seen an improvement. I've also been soking my face with it every other day for about 6 min. I'll wait and continue what I'm doing. I'll let everyone know if it works. It's great for hair!

Old 09-01-2002, 09:07 AM   #11

emarion HB User

i read that the "squeeky clean" feeling with hard water is actually mineral deposits on your skin. it's the opposite of what you think (it feels like soft water leaves a film, but it's actually the reverse.

Old 09-01-2002, 05:33 PM   #12

vitamin_man HB User

emarion is right..
I just want to say that water can cause skin problems.
I installed a filter in my shower..it filters chlorine
and my skin improved alot..and since then i have been thinking about getting a water softener.....I'm thinking that soft water would be better for skin problems of any kind.

Closed Thread