It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2003, 08:26 AM   #1

Maci HB User
Accutane and Sun Exposure

Hi Everyone,

I am two and a half months into a five month course of Accutane. I am going on a cruise to the Bahamas on January 16th and am concerned about how much time I will be spending in the sun. I have spf 30 sunscreen but was also hoping to get a little color while I am there. I usually tan very easily and rarely burn. Does anyone have any experience with Accutane and being in the sun?

Maci

Old 01-14-2003, 06:38 PM   #2

Sparkle0036 HB User
Re: Accutane and Sun Exposure

i am on accutane, and one of the side effects is increased sensitivity to sunlight. I haven't had any experience with this situation on accutane, but while on doxycycline, i was very sensitive to the sun. Reapply your sunscreen often and thouroughly, and if you still notice burning after that, just cut down on the direct sun exposure. have fun!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2003, 07:58 PM   #3

Maci HB User

Hi Sparkle,

Thanks for your response. I never had sun sensitivity on Minocycline or Retin-A. I am hoping I won't have any on Accutane but don't want to take any chances. I have been using sunless tanner instead of my normal pre-vacation tanning booth sessions so that I am not completely white!! I guess I'll just stick to the sunless tanner and loads of sunscreen. I know I will be spending time in the pool and hot tub and don't want to do any extra damage since my skin is just starting to clear up. I must say though that the sunless tanner really minimizes the acne scars (purple, post inflammatory hyperpigmentation) that I've acquired while on Accutane. I'm really looking forward to the trip and was hoping a little time in the sun wouldn't do any harm. Better safe than sorry......

Old 01-14-2003, 08:23 PM   #4

gwle HB User

I remember I went to Las Vegas when I was on Accutane a while back. Las Vegas being a tourist town, I had to go walking down the strip. I went down the strip during the day and with very little sunscreen on. The result: My face looked horrible that night, all red and irritated looking. My advice is to stay out of the sun as much as you can. If you do go out, use some heavy duty sunblock and reapply often.

Old 01-14-2003, 09:32 PM   #5

Maci HB User

Thanks Gwle,

I'm fully stocked on sunscreen/sunblock. I was just hoping I could actually get somewhat of a tan. Not necessarily on my face but the rest of me. It's awfully hard to go on a cruise and not be in the sun!!! Guess I should invest in a hat or something. The sunscreen I have is waterproof and is supposed to last 8 hours. I'm going to keep that on my face at all times. I don't want to risk anything. I was just hoping to actually enjoy being in the sun. I live in Minnesota and it is terribly cold here!

Closed Thread