It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2003, 02:29 PM   #1
Inactive

Merrida HB User
Scarring around the mouth area

Short of something like laser resurfacing, needling, or microdermabrasion -- is there anything that can be done to effect a change on scarring around the mouth area?

I've got "cobblestone chin" (I think that's what it's called) -- but even aside from that, I'm talking directly around my mouth, including the corners of my mouth (where that whole thing about hair folicles, foliculitis, and my previous posts about correlations with acne, cold sores, and the risk of impetigo which, from what I understand, can be quite common after dermal resurfacing of any sort around the mouth area of people so-inclined or who have a previous history, compromised immune systems, or do not always heal well).

Some of the scarring is not acne related, but it has created deep linear grooves which mark a downward slope from the corner of each mouth down towards my chin (which makes me look just like a wooden puppet looks, with the lines as if to separate the mouth from the face) - and besides really aging my face, and besides making me look like I am perpetually frowning a VERY deep and severe frown, and besides making me look perpetually angry,... these grooves also fold which can perpetuate acne breakouts even worse-so! So I'd like to heal them, along with the other scars around my mouth.

I have deeper ice-pick type scars on my cheeks, and some shallower scars all over (ones that look like dents, - sort of like I pressed a small pebble into my face for a few minutes and pulled it away, so it leaves just this imprint,...except they're permanent, but that's what they look like) ... but the ones around my mouth are horrid. I can tell when people see me that they look there and their eyes cannot help but be drawn there.

Sometimes makeup helps, but many times, all that makeup does is cause a type of reflection that can actually magnify the scars. If they were just red marks, some heavier-pigmented makeups would cover them, but when it comes to actual indents, especially around the mouth where the skin keeps moving and where the eye is drawn to watch when you speak,... it seems like there's no way to either repair it, fix it, cover it, or camoflage it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2003, 02:43 PM   #2
(male)

redwing HB User
Re: Scarring around the mouth area

Could be a vitamin B2 deficiency (do a search on "B2" or "riboflavin" and "deficiency"), since one of the signs is sores at the corners of the mouth. Are you mega-dosing on C or on any one or only a few of the B vitamins? See my post under "B5 side effects (alcohol, etc.)"

Old 01-15-2003, 12:05 AM   #3
Veteran

EMMANUEL HB User
Re: Scarring around the mouth area

Merrida,
Your scars sound just like mine. I really detest them, so I completely feel your pain.

What is cobblestone chin? I never heard of that before.

Also, you could have warts or perioral dermatitis. It may not be acne.

It sucks, but basically, I think the scars are here to stay. I'm going to try to make them look better, but unless a miracle occurs, I am stuck with them.

I am waiting to clear my chin for good,and in the meantime I am researching the best way to minimize them.

If I find anyhing decisive, I will let you know since it seems like we have the same kinds of scars.

Best wishes~*
Emma

Closed Thread