It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
(female)

uglies HB User
current vitamin regimen; good, bad, ugly??? so confused!

I've been takin vits on and off for half my life it seems, and I never know if they have any effect on my acne. My current supplement regimen is:

1. Nature's Aid cold pressed flaxseed oil (1000mg 3x daily with food) since 2 weeks
2. supermaket brand vitamin c (chewable, 1000mg, with food) since 3 months
3. [bsupermarket brand ]vitamin e[/b] (400 i.u, with food) since 1 month
4. supermarket brand vitamin b complex (comprised of thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, b6, folic acid, b12, panothenic acid) since 3 months, but am planning to phase it out because I think the vit b6 and b12 may be causing me to break out (not sure!)
5. Pukka aloe vera juice (25ml daily)

considering:
1. vit d3 (liquid) because I spend most of the day inside
2. zinc picolinate (25mg, I'm cautious about starting at a higher dosage than that)
3. another form of vit b's (as yet do not know which but I'm concerned about b5 as it is linked to hair loss)
4. evening primrose capsules to regulate my imbalanced hormones (I have PCOS and cannot take oral contraceptives)

So, what's your verdict?
Is my regimen ok? Should I incorporate the other supplements that I'm considering? Should I be taking anything else? What would counteract what? So many questions lol.

Acne forums are awash with info and talk about vitamins, so much so that I don't know where to begin (how do you begin at the beginning when a beginning does not exist lol? There's a philosphical ponderance for you lol.) My GP believes supplements are effectively useless so will not advise me, and the people selling the supplements in shops would likely tell me anything in order to get my money.

If you can help, thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2011, 04:08 AM   #2
(male)

ClearSkinRomy HB UserClearSkinRomy HB UserClearSkinRomy HB User
Re: current vitamin regimen; good, bad, ugly??? so confused!

Wow uglies.. that's a lot of vitamins you are taking... may I ask why did you start to take all of them in the first place?

The single one I would encourage you to carry on taking is the aloe vera juice. I am taking it myself and I know it has a great effect for my body.

But.. what I would recommend is take a blood test. This way you will know for sure if you have any vitamin or mineral deficiency, and then take only the vitamins your body is low on.

I would not recommend just starting to take a bunch of vitamins just because "you think" you need them.

Also, keep in mind one important factor: most of these synthetic vitamins (which you can buy in supermarkets) are poorly assimilated by your body, or even not assimilated at all.

if they are 100% natural , then is ok, but I doubt that. You would be better off eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables each day. at least a nice fresh salad and some seasonal fruits.

This is just a recommendation, the best advice you only can get from your doctor.

Romy

The Following User Says Thank You to ClearSkinRomy For This Useful Post:
uglies (07-28-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
(female)

uglies HB User
Re: current vitamin regimen; good, bad, ugly??? so confused!

Thanks Romy! You're right, they are a lot, and as they're synthetic they're probably pretty poor quality. I was concerned about those things in the back of my mind, but I kept telling myself (stupidly) that I'd only be on them for a few months and then gradually reduce them as I improved my diet. The problem is I don't always have time to eat healthy food. I eat virtually nothing that contains vitamin b, c, or e, hence the synthetic vitamins. Anyway very helpful response, thank you again

Closed Thread