It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
(female)

emp116 HB User
My Acne

Acne first became a problem for me at the age of 10 - and now, seven years later still affects me greatly, perhaps now more than ever. I can't really remember a time when my skin wasn't causing me problems, whether it was eczema, sunburn or extreme sensitivity; it never let me be! When the blemishes first began appearing on my face, I naively bought bottle after bottle of cleansers, toners and exfoliators in the hope of seeing dramatic results. Needless to say this plan never worked like I'd hoped - albeit to be fair, I was like most, expecting some sort of miracle cure that would rid me of my acne overnight. After about 3/4 years of throwing away money at over the counter face washes, I decided to visit the doctor, who prescribed me an oral medication called By-Mycin and a topical treatment called Duac. I took these tablets for 6 months with no side-effects, yet sadly no real improvement either. The Duac cream was quite harsh on my skin, bearable but did dry it out to the point of constant shredding. So off I went to the GP again, and this time I was prescribed medication called Minocin and a topical treatment called Differin. 6 Months later - still no improvement. This time however, I had quite a bad reaction to the Differin gel, it felt as if I'd poured acid over my face! Resulting in intense burning for a few weeks after stopping application and a nasty rash. As a last resort, last year I went on the contraceptive pill Dianette and was more or less guaranteed a dramatic result. After about 6 months I began to see a little improvement and it continued to clear up, however never fully. I was prepared to stick it out until I was happy with the results, however after a year of being on the pill, I began to get a lot of migraines and nosebleeds - back to the doctor again, to find that the pill had raised my blood pressure greatly. I had always had quite low bp, but had now gone up to about 175/100 on average - causing the headaches and nosebleeds and did some damage to my kidneys as well. I've been off Dianette now for a few months and my skin is worse than ever, my forehead is just a mountain range of cysts. It seems silly to risk your health over vanity but it really does affect your self esteem greatly and impacts so much on your everyday life - people who've had one spot in their entire life wouldn't understand. I suppose it's not really the condition that bothers me most, it's people's ignorance towards it - those who say being hygienic and sticking to a healthy diet is the determining factor and the answer to all skin problems...a problem these people have obviously never had!

Last edited by emp116; 11-11-2011 at 12:58 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to emp116 For This Useful Post:
MG098 (11-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
(male)

MG098 HB UserMG098 HB User
re: My Acne

Thanks for sharing your story. It could be painful at times.

So you are completely done with acne medications now? This is a very brave thing to do.

I had a friend who was on and off all types of prescription medications because he could not get his acne under control (skin was too too oily). He then started using Cetaphil and an followed it up with an acne product.

Maybe just use a facial cleanser for now?

-M

Old 11-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
(female)

emp116 HB User

Thanks for your reply
Yes I am off all acne medication...not allowed take any more for the moment! Skin is getting progressively worse but I'll persevere, what else can you do.
As you said, sticking to mild cleansers for now, hopefully it'll sort itself out, but somehow I doubt it

Old 11-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
(male)

I say never give up and I mean it!

If you ever decide to try another product let me know, I follow my cleanser up with a product that I have pretty good clearing from (its not perfect, but it helps)

Talk soon.

-M

The Following User Says Thank You to MG098 For This Useful Post:
emp116 (11-16-2011)
Old 11-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
(female)

emp116 HB User

I've decided to try taking fish liver oil capsules..go for the natural approach for once!
I'll let you know if it makes any impact

Old 11-19-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
(male)

Sounds good keep me posted. Fish oil can never hurt.

-M

Old 11-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
(female)

emp116 HB User

went back to the doctor today out of desperation, it was getting unsightly :/ and she prescribed me tetracycline this time but is really pushing accutane...she doesn't think anything else has a chance of working. Have you any experience with this? I'm dubious...I've heard a lot of mixed reviews

Old 11-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emp116 View Post
went back to the doctor today out of desperation, it was getting unsightly :/ and she prescribed me tetracycline this time but is really pushing accutane...she doesn't think anything else has a chance of working. Have you any experience with this? I'm dubious...I've heard a lot of mixed reviews
Hey I could have sworn I responded to this yesterday, but looks like it didn't work.

I've heard it working for people and not working for others.

Maybe give it a try for a couple weeks and see if it helps??

-M

Closed Thread