It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #1
(female)

nomnom HB User
Smile What helped my perioral dermatitis!

I've never written a post before in my life, but after suffering from POD on and off for many years, I figured I had to give back after finding out so much information from these types of helpful boards. My first outbreak of POD was a few years ago, just a small isolated area under my mouth, but it grew and ended up looking like herpes. Terrible for my self esteem, and it took more than a year of treatment with antibiotics, and topical creams from my dermatologist. It had subsided and I hadn't had a recurrence until recently. I think it was prompted by the use of an SPF.

Over the years, I've gotten more involved in natural solutions for ailments, so I decided to try a different route this time. Initially, I did go to the dermatologist, and he put me on a course of minocycline, and clindamycin (topical), as well as Protopic. The clindamycin made my skin worse, so I stopped that, but I tolerated the antibiotic and Protopic fine. I hate being on antibiotics though, so after a month and half I went off it. My symptoms seemed to come back, but I didn't want to go back on it, so I started my own routine. It's quite labor intensive, and to be honest, I'm not sure what exactly got my skin back to normal, but I think it's a combination of everything. Here is my daily regime:

Start off the day with a good probiotic as I do feel that skin problems (I have eczema as well) are a gut problem. I'm alternating b/t Dr. Ohhira's Professional Line and Jarro-Dophilus EPS, as Dr. Ohhira is quite expensive. I'll take about 3 throughout the day. I make a green smoothie every morning, filled with kale, romaine, an apple, pear, celery, and some lemon. This is just my personal opinion, but I do think that the more leafy greens you eat, the clearer your skin and whole system. Also, I've taken out dairy and eggs completely. I had eliminated meat from my diet already, but excluding dairy and eggs seemed to help clear the POD.

Try and eat as many fresh raw vegetables, and fruits as possible throughout the day. And lots of water, and green tea! I stopped drinking coffee, b/c I think that definitely messes with my skin. Also, I eat lots of fish, and twice a day, I have a tsp of Raw Manuka honey, and a tsp of organic hemp oil.

In the evening, I do the oil cleansing method with hemp oil. It's the only oil that I would use, I think all the other types clog pores and may make things worse. Then, I make a mask of Greek Yogurt and about a tsp. of turmeric (great anti-inflammatory) and put that on my face for about 30 minutes. Wash it off, and then after that I make another mask of Queen Helene's Mint Julep mask, and add some Manuka honey to that. Don't use regular honey from the little bar container, always use Raw organic, and if you can Manuka. I sit for another 30 minutes (watch tv, read, whatever), and then wash that off with a mild cleanser. Sometimes I tone my skin with Thayers Rose Water Witch Hazel. I finish with David Hosking's Hypoallergenic Face & Body Balm. I was skeptical b/c the website looks so antiquated, but this has really helped with my eczema and my face feels so soft.

I also drink half a glass of kombucha that I brew, per day, which helps as well. I realize this is a crazy list of things that I do, but it helped and I just wanted to share b/c I know POD is such a stressful, emotionally draining ailment to have. Oh, last but not least, I do still use Protopic. That is the only medication I'm using, and just a little spot treatment here and there. I know that POD is a draining thing to have, so I hope some of this information helps. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
(female)

MandiMurders1 HB User
Re: What helped my perioral dermatitis!

Yes, a natural route seems to be working for me as well. I've always been sensitive to MSG anyway, but after taking out GMO foods and dairy I've seen big improvements hopefully i'll be off meds soon.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
(female)

Diana101 HB User

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Perioral Dermatitis last year, I was put on Tetralysal for 3 months which completely cleared the rash. Then 7 months later, it reappears.

I have again been put on Lymecycline, but it did not seem to be working this time so I researched on the internet and had a go at trying a plain natural yoghurt face mask, I slather loads of this yoghurt on my face and leave it for an hour or so and wash off. I find this soothes my skin and takes away the redness of the bumps. I have also bought some Cetaphil face wash which is very gentle on my skin and does not irritate it further, and I also put on Canesten anti fungal (NOT HYDROCORTISONE) cream on the affected areas twice a day (Morning and night). I wear as little makeup as possible (only cover up on bad areas) and touch wood, my rash has almost disappeared. I have only been doing this for the last week and it has all helped tremendously. I am not sure which of the products I am using is having the most effect but I am going to carry on with all of them in the hope I will be rash free before long

Old 01-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
(female)

dermatitisgone HB User
Wink Re: What helped my perioral dermatitis!

I've never been inspired until now to actually create an account so that I could post on forums such as these, but after clearing my persistent perioral dermatitis about 95% in three days (seriously), I felt I had to say something.

I am not sure what caused my initial PD outbreak, but it happened maybe 3 years ago. Since then, it's come and gone until about 6 months ago when it just erupted around my eyes. Ack! I couldn't cover it up with makeup because it was an elevated rash, and I felt hideous and embarrassed. So, I went to the derm and she prescribed a steroid ointment. OMG. You know the rest...It worked, but if I skipped a day because the PD was gone, it came back terribly and took a week to get back under control. I'd also gone through at least 3 rounds (not consecutive) of antibiotics to no avail.

Finally, I decided that it must be due to something I was consuming or was allergic to, so I went to an alternative medicine practitioner. She helped me to discover things I'm sensitive to, but I don't believe that it necessarily did much to help the PD. After lots of forum-stalking, I opted to completely eliminate SLS, flouride, sugar, and wine. I dramatically simplified my skin care routine. I noted that after a particularly extensive hair-coloring weekend (don't ask), my PD came back with a vengence. Not as bad as the steroid rebound, but still really bad. So I trolled more forums and came across the answer to my case of PD.

I found testimony on one forum about women who had miraculous success using grapefruit seed extract (known as GSE). Some women used it topically, some took it internally. But EVERY SINGLE WOMAN on that forum praised how well it worked, to their amazement. I told myself that if it worked for me, I'd go to one of the forums I'd been to before and share my experience.

The stuff allegedly tastes like crap, but I take it in tablet form so I can't speak to that. It's a supplement that is fairly inexpensive. People tote it as being antimicrobial, antifungal, etc. This is highly contested and I don't know enough to have an opinion on the matter. I don't really care either way, though, because the stuff simply works regardless of the mechanism. Oh, and it's supposedly good for acne as well. Whatever--this thread is about PD.

I take 4 or 5 125 mg tablets a day, and I smooth on a few drops of the glycerin-based extract to my skin after washing my face. I think it's more common for women to take it in the drop/liquid form. A little bottle of the liquid lasts a long time. I bought both at the local natural foods store. Any brand will work, but if you get the liquid and apply it topically, some gals claim it stings and I would think it would be mitigated somewhat if you get one with a higher glycerin content.

Anyway, it's worth trying. I don't want to promote brands and maybe it won't work for everyone, but it worked for me. I love that I can ADD it to my current routine and it works without taking other drastic measures to control outbreaks. PD is so horrible that it's worth doing complex, irritating, expensive and restrictive things in an effort to get it to just calm down. But with GSE, I haven't had to do that and it still works. WOW.

I hope that someone else tries this and reports back something positive. It will have made the tedious forum registration process worthwhile!!!

Last edited by dermatitisgone; 01-26-2013 at 07:58 AM.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
(female)

dermatitisgone HB User

I've never been inspired until now to actually create an account so that I could post on forums such as these, but after clearing my persistent perioral dermatitis about 95% in three days (seriously), I felt I had to say something.

I am not sure what caused my initial PD outbreak, but it happened maybe 3 years ago. Since then, it's come and gone until about 6 months ago when it just erupted around my eyes. Ack! I couldn't cover it up with makeup because it was an elevated rash, and I felt hideous and embarrassed. So, I went to the derm and she prescribed a steroid ointment. OMG. You know the rest...It worked, but if I skipped a day because the PD was gone, it came back terribly and took a week to get back under control. I'd also gone through at least 3 rounds (not consecutive) of antibiotics to no avail.

Finally, I decided that it must be due to something I was consuming or was allergic to, so I went to an alternative medicine practitioner. She helped me to discover things I'm sensitive to, but I don't believe that it necessarily did much to help the PD. After lots of forum-stalking, I opted to completely eliminate SLS, flouride, sugar, and wine. I dramatically simplified my skin care routine. I noted that after a particularly extensive hair-coloring weekend (don't ask), my PD came back with a vengence. Not as bad as the steroid rebound, but still really bad. So I trolled more forums and came across the answer to my case of PD.

I found out about women who had miraculous success using grapefruit seed extract (known as GSE). Some women used it topically, some took it internally. But EVERY SINGLE WOMAN on that forum praised how well it worked, to their amazement.

The stuff allegedly tastes like crap, but I take it in tablet form so I can't speak to that. It's a supplement that is fairly inexpensive. People tote it as being antimicrobial, antifungal, etc. This is highly contested and I don't know enough to have an opinion on the matter. I don't really care either way, though, because the stuff simply works regardless of the mechanism. Oh, and it's supposedly good for acne as well. Whatever--this thread is about PD.

I take 4 or 5 125 mg tablets a day, and I smooth on a few drops of the glycerin-based extract to my skin after washing my face. I think it's more common for women to take it in the drop/liquid form. A little bottle of the liquid lasts a long time. I bought both at the local natural foods store. Any brand will work, but if you get the liquid and apply it topically, some gals claim it stings and I would think it would be mitigated somewhat if you get one with a higher glycerin content.

Anyway, it's worth trying. I don't want to promote brands and maybe it won't work for everyone, but it worked for me. I love that I can ADD it to my current routine and it works without taking other drastic measures to control outbreaks. PD is so horrible that it's worth doing complex, irritating, expensive and restrictive things in an effort to get it to just calm down. But with GSE, I haven't had to do that and it still works. WOW.

I hope that someone else tries this and reports back something positive. It will have made the tedious forum registration process worthwhile!!!

Reply Reply