It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
(female)

Kristin35 HB User
Can Spiro and Topamax be taken together??

Hi everyone, I've posted this question on a couple of the boards and I really hope someone can help me out. I've been on Spiro150mg for awhile now to battle acne, hair loss and excess facial hair growth. I've also been prescribed Topamax for severe migraines. Does anyone have any experience taking the two together or does anyone know if they interact with one another?

I've read on the Topamax literature that this med has some effect on bc pills and can interact with another diuretic (not spiro) so this made me a little curious. I usually take my pills at the same time to make things easier, but I don't want to risk side effects or interactions.

I asked my doc, but she wasn't very helpful -- unfortunately. Thanks everyone!

Old 01-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
(female)

maiyen HB Usermaiyen HB User
Re: Can Spiro and Topamax be taken together??

Hi Kristin35,

I have taken both for at least 2 years and I have not had any complications or problems. I also have not had any physicians or pharmacists notifying me that I should not take them together (and all of my doctors are aware of the medications that I take). I take Spiro in the morning and Topamax split up in separate doses (morning and night). I do take the pill since you have to be on some form of birth control while taking Spiro and I know that there is an interaction between the two. However, I believe that you are at higher risk if the Topamax dosage is over 200mg or 250mg per day and I take 100mg. At least that is what's stated by Topamax.

I hope this helps some (if someone hasn't answered your question elsewhere yet).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread