It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
(female)

texastoast HB User
severe acne, cushings syndrome

I'm hoping someone can relate to this. My 24 year old daughter got very bad cystic acne last year. A dermatologist prescribed long term prednisone at 60 mgs. a day. Not only did her acne not get better, but it got much worse. Then, the same derm. tried to treat her with antibiotics with the prednisone, no improvement. This all caused her to gain 40 lbs, develop the "moon face" of Cushings syndrome, have a hump on the back of her neck, and finally an endocrinologist said " you have classic Cushings syndrome *caused* by taking prednisone for too long." We were shocked. So all this was caused by the long term prednisone!

So, the endo. weaned her off the prednisone, but this was just recently and nothing has changed. She sees a NEW dermatologist in one month to hopefully try to treat the acne properly. Basically, my daughter was made very obese, and her acne much worse, along with cushings syndrome, caused by the inept dermatologist. Has anyone heard of this happening to anyone else? We're desperate and are afraid she will never look normal again. I also posted this on the endocrine board.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
(male)

johnsmith9875 HB User
Re: severe acne, cushings syndrome

Has she had an MRI/CT to look at her pituitary gland? A pituitary tumor can cause Cushing's, and its quite treatable if that is the case.
She may have had acne rosacea, which can look like regular acne but the treatments for it are the complete opposite. Steroids make it much worse, even topical steroids.
You have to determine the trigger food(s) that cause the acne, and you can curb breakouts by short courses of common low cost antibiotics.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2012, 06:16 AM   #3
(male)

pizza-face HB User
Re: severe acne, cushings syndrome

far far better and safer to try natural remedies......

for cystic acne, can try drinking few spoonfuls of organic hemp seed oil (Manitoba Harvest brand) daily...........it helped my cystic acne a lot.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-03-2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Closed Thread