It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
(female)

shannongmac HB User
Unhappy Horrible Hormonal Acne

Hi, I'm a 33 yr old female and starting around December 2011, I started having horrendous acne. It started with breaking out along my chin and jaw line and was so bad with cysts and red welts. It will stay this way until my period is done and then just when it starts to subside a bit, I get my period again and it comes right back worse than ever. This has now being going on for 5 months and I am at my whits end!
Some history:
Birth Control: I was on BC since I was 18, took myself off in 2010, because of weight gains, low sex drive, basically I just never felt right on it. I took the depo shot for years, then the patch, then pills, then low-dose pills, then the nuvaring, I think I've been on it all.
Diet: I became vegetarian in the summer of 2010 and completely vegan in January of this year. (Tried to take anything out of my diet that might be making me break out!)
I eat a whole foods diet, no processed foods, almost no oil when I cook. Started juicing 2 weeks ago, before that would make kale green smoothies 2-3 times a week for the past 2 months. So I don't think my diet has anything to do with it.
Vitamins: I take a multi-vitamin, flax oil (before going vegan was taking fish oil), Don Quai (for last month), Vitex (last month)
Was taking for last 3 months (but recently stopped to see what does/doesn't work): Zinc (started breaking out on my forehead, cut out zinc), Vitamin C, Evening Primrose, Whole Foods Hair Skin & Nails Vitamin, B Complex, Turmeric (went through a whole bottle, no effect), and I know I'm missing something else...
Regiment: I was breaking out far before December, and I was on Obagi, which is really expensive, and I was noticing my skin always felt tight and dry on it after my period and would break out during my period. I washed with the Obagi once a day and Cetaphil the other times. So because I was spending so much money to break out, I stopped using it. Went to a natural holistic cleansing method.
Have Tried: raw honey with baking soda, raw honey without baking soda, just water, tea tree oil, witch hazel, oil cleanse method, if it can be googled to try in the area of all-natural, I think I've done it.
Right Now: I'm back to just Cetaphil, Aveeno moisturizer (which I never had a problem with in my younger days!) and I bought 2 days ago Neutrogena Rapid Clear 2-in-1 Fight & Fade Gel b/c I'm so worried about scaring at this point!
Makeup: Most days I won't wear makeup and if I HAVE to, I wear a light mineral foundation and nothing else. Everyone keeps asking me what is wrong with my face, which is obviously even worse...

As of this moment, I am on my period and 2 days before it started, so started the horrible acne, some will come to a head, I was getting cysts a few months ago, luckily not this month, but at the same time my whole face gets smaller under the skin red bumps almost like a rash... It is literally like I'm allergic to having my period!
I have never in my life had acne before, this is literally ruining my life, I don't even want to leave the house!
Help!

Last edited by shannongmac; 04-16-2012 at 06:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
(female)

jguff79 HB User
Re: Horrible Hormonal Acne

I am so sorry you are going through this. I have been dealing with the very same problem. I am also 33. I get terrible acne the week before my period. Although, I am having a nasty breakout and I am only half way through my cycle. It's very strange. I was feeling very out of sorts this past weekend. I almost felt pre-menstrual (cravings, moodiness) and then I breakout the next day, which leads me to believe that my hormones are wonky. I get huge cystic acne on my neck, along my jaw line and hair line. They are painful and red. I was supposed to have a meeting with the dermatologist today but had to cancel because I forgot my husband had a dentist appointment around the same time and someone has to watch our 18 mo old son. It's worth mentioning that I didn't have this acne problem until after he was born. Anywhoo, I have heard that Spirolactone (sp) is very effective at treating hormonal acne, so I'm hoping my derm suggests that. I guess we'll see. Like you, I've tried everything down to homemade concoctions recommended by friends.

I guess I don't have any suggestions other than to see a Dermatologist and ask about the Spiro. More than anything I just wanted to relate my story.
I am so terribly frustrated by this. I'll have a good week, then BAM. It's awful.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
(female)

ticktickatick HB User
Re: Horrible Hormonal Acne

Spiro was my miracle cure. 4 months on 100mg cleared my cystic acne completely.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
(female)

laporte HB User
Question Re: Horrible Hormonal Acne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticktickatick View Post
Spiro was my miracle cure. 4 months on 100mg cleared my cystic acne completely.
Hi ticktickatick, i am laporte, new to this message board, I am 47years old and I just started the spiro drug...I am on my third day now....You mentioned that you took it for 4 months at 100 mg and no more cystic acne....does this mean you don't need to take spiro anymore?? If you have stop, you skin is clear now....if not, do you only take it when it is close to your period?? pls give me you insight

Closed Thread