It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User
The only thing that cleared my skin completly.

Hey all....I have not been on the acne board for a long time, since I have gotten my skin totally clear. My history with acne...started getting annoying at about age 16...then years later after getting married/kids I got the deep cyst like pimples that took forever to go away. I was miserable. So I tried all the different antibiotics, peels, washes, scrubs...blah blah blah. I finally found a medication doing research online....it's called spironolactone. I cleared within about 2 weeks. If I miss my doses a couple of days, I start to break out some....so this stuff is very effective...at least for me. This med is cheap and I have had NO side effects from it. Just thought I would give my 2 cents....Lord knows how much I stressed and obsessed about my skin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Re: The only thing that cleared my skin completly..

Ooops...by the way I am a 37 year old female!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

So bummed because my 24 y.o. has stopped taking it recently because her creatinine levels were elevated. She had taken it since 06 or so. She is a dialysis nurse and could tell her levels meant that she was in 1st stage renal failure. It was a hard decision but she quit it about 4 months ago. Yes it worked great but it's not risk free. It's very important to be monitored while taking it - she wasn't.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Thanks for replying Skimom. I am no doctor but I wonder if her creatinine levels are elevated from something else...hmmm. I am looking at my blood work report from 2 weeks ago and my creatinine level is actually a little low... .070 the normal range is .080-1.50~

Old 05-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

I can't really ask her because she'll know I'm back at it on the healthboards lol! I don't have the values in front of me but I just know they were skewed. Low would make more sense since that deals with dehydration and compromised kidney function, etc. She was ravenously thirsty on spiro but put up with it because it was a miracle pill for acne. She is following up with more blood tests I think to see if her kidney function has improved while being off the pill. I'll let you know when I know. It's possible that her kidney function will never be quite the same. She just didn't want it to get any worse. The doctor did tell her she could go down to 25 mgs. but she just wanted off.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Wink Re: The only thing that cleared my skin completly..

Yes, Skimom keep me posted on her bloodwork!

Old 06-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User

Skimom,I'm hesitant to think that Spiro caused your daughter's creatinine levels to be high.
I actually had high creatinine levels BEFORE I went on Spiro.Once on it for a few months the levels then went down!
Spiro mostly effects your potassium and sodium/electrolyte levels.As long as you watch your potassium intake,then usually you should have no problems.

Spiro is an OLD drug and very well known and tested.There have never been any cases of serious problems from most people who take it.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItRains View Post
Skimom,I'm hesitant to think that Spiro caused your daughter's creatinine levels to be high.
I actually had high creatinine levels BEFORE I went on Spiro.Once on it for a few months the levels then went down!
Spiro mostly effects your potassium and sodium/electrolyte levels.As long as you watch your potassium intake,then usually you should have no problems.

Spiro is an OLD drug and very well known and tested.There have never been any cases of serious problems from most people who take it.
She has been off of spiro for 4 months now. Then she quit the bc pill two months ago because it was messing with her moods. It's possible that spiro didn't cause the kidney problem but since she has a minor one now she feels she should be vigilant in maintaining her kidney health. Being a dialysis nurse makes her more sensitive to these issues I suppose. She has more energy and feels so much better off the pills. She had been on them since 06. I know some people take spiro/bc pills and feel great and have no problems. I still think it's a miracle drug. But I also know now that monitoring is very important. She wasn't being monitored at all till we switched insurance companies. She is trying the more natural route now and making some progress.

Last edited by skimom; 06-04-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User

I found out about my kidney problem before I went on Spiro,and my doctor told me if anything it would help.I guess she was right (in my case anyways) because my next kidney test showed a significant lowered amount of creatinine.I actually registered as a stage 3 kidney failure before (kinda scary).

Spiro did make me feel a little sluggish,have to urinate frequently,and made my breasts grow two whole sizes.(wasn't complaining about the last one though!)

It does sound like your daughter was on it for a long time...I was only on it for about 2 years.The good news is since I have been off of it,my acne has not come back!

Old 06-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItRains View Post
I found out about my kidney problem before I went on Spiro,and my doctor told me if anything it would help.I guess she was right (in my case anyways) because my next kidney test showed a significant lowered amount of creatinine.I actually registered as a stage 3 kidney failure before (kinda scary).

Spiro did make me feel a little sluggish,have to urinate frequently,and made my breasts grow two whole sizes.(wasn't complaining about the last one though!)

It does sound like your daughter was on it for a long time...I was only on it for about 2 years.The good news is since I have been off of it,my acne has not come back!
It sounds like you had the perfect experience on Spiro. That's wonderful. And the acne didn't come back when you went off? Amazing. Are your kidneys OK now? I don't know if my daughter has had any further blood work as yet. No one is really very worried about it I think - except her haha.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

I think it was my undetected thyroid problems which may have damaged my kidneys,but I'm on hormones for it now so I should be okay.They may have damage to them,but I feel fine physically.

I'm getting some new bloodwork soon so I'll let you know about my kidneys.

Does your daughter know that using your muscles can increase creatinine levels too? If she started working out it could be a cause of her levels to go up.That should be temporary though.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
(female)

ticktickatick HB User

I love spiro. It completely cleared me in 4 months after a decade of SEVERE cystic acne. I was on originally on 100mg but have gone down to a maintenance dose of 50mg. I have been on that dose for a month and it seems to be maintaining well.

Now I have scars to deal with. I'm not glad I have scars...but my acne has been so bad for the last ten years that I couldn't even see the scars I had under all the new acne coming up!

Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

My daughter is back on spiro now for about a month. She seems to be responding well. Her skin is about 80% better already. She has a tremendous amount of scarring, however. She will be a long time recovering.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #14
(male)

sam480 HB User
Re: The only thing that cleared my skin completly.

Hello,
Is this spironolactone will also do effect on male skin because i also had some pimple on my face and it ruin my life badly...

Closed Thread