It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
(female)

DCDenise HB User
19 yr. old daughter starting Accutane

Hello All,

My daughter is starting Accutane in about 5 weeks. I am no stranger to Cystic Acne and Accutane. Her father has it as well and has since he was at least her age (He just started his 3rd treatment in about 30 years today, actually) I just wanted to know as much as I possibly can so I will be able to support her while she is going through this treatment. You would think Dad would be the logical choice, but from what she told me, it is much more involved for women then it is for men.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: 19 yr. old daughter starting Accutane

Thing about accutane in a young woman is that she absolutely must avoid pregnancy while taking it. The drug can cause severe birth defects. Just to get the drug, she will have to document her contraception plans in detail.

Once she stops taking it, it'll soon be safe for her to conceive. Accutane is a natural hormone, it doesn't linger in the body.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
DCDenise (05-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
(female)

DCDenise HB User

She just met with the doctor yesterday and they take the birth defect possibility VERY seriously (as they should). She cannot start treatment until she get a BLOOD test that comes out negative for pregnance (she did that yesterday) and then she has to go back exactly one month from yesterday and get another test. Only then can she start the treatment.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
(female)

DCDenise HB User

I am so torn on the subject. I have read lots of negative stories about Accutane. Mostly IBS, IBD and Crones. But she can't live like this. She has cyst's that will just explode with no notice what so ever. I can't imagine having to live like that. She is an extremely beautiful and vivacious young girl embarking on the beginning of her adult life. I am amazed at how well she has handled it. It’s painful, embarrassing and does not help with self-esteem. I could not have handled it nearly as well as she has. Unfortunately Accutane is somewhat of a "miracle drug" in these cases. I have seen what it has done. As I mentioned before, her father also has cystic acne and has since he was her age. He is 49 and just started his 3rd round of treatments (since he was around 18 or so). So this is something she will more than likely have for the rest of her life. She has not 100% made her decision, but whatever it is; I will support her and continue to educate myself on this condition.

Reply Reply

Tags
accutane, cystic acne