It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
(female)

Melinda111 HB User
HUGE acne cyst on forehead and face swelling! please help

I have gotten cystic acne off and on since my teens, and I am now 30. Usually I only have one cyst at a time, or none, depending on the time of month, stress, etc. I recently saw a cyst coming on on the left side of my forehead, right next to my hairline. I thought it would be the usual annoying pimple, but this has turned into much more. The entire left side of my face is now swelled up, the left side of my jaw even hurts a bit. This cyst throbs in pain that is only dulled by taking aleve and tylenol. It is the most painful cyst I have ever had, and the swelling is really scary. Someone please tell me they have had a similar experience that ended okay, because I am really getting scared. Thank you so much for listening and offering any advice!

Old 05-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
(female)

Jacy56 HB UserJacy56 HB User
Re: HUGE acne cyst on forehead and face swelling! please help

It could be infected. Have you tried a warm compress? Before accutane came out, the dermatologist would inject cortisone into the cyst. Painful but I just wanted the cyst to disappear. Maybe you should go to the doctor. I sympathize with you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jacy56 For This Useful Post:
Melinda111 (05-09-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
(female)

Melinda111 HB User

Thank you so much for replying. I actually used a warm compress last night to help and hoped it would make it better today, but it feels worse today. Any slight pressure on it, even from a light compress, just hurts like heck, too.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
(female)

Has the swelling on your face gone down?

Old 05-10-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
(female)

Melinda111 HB User

No. Despite using warm compresses and ice off and on, the swelling is still just as bad, if not worse. My eye is about half swollen shut, and I am developing an intense, whole head ache. I have had people tell me that this being located on my forehead, any infection could spread to my brain or eye, so I am getting scared and might go to er today.

Last edited by Melinda111; 05-10-2012 at 04:03 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Melinda111 For This Useful Post:
Yarasz (05-11-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
(female)

Hope you are doing better soon. Keep us posted.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:23 AM   #7
(female)

Yarasz HB User

Hi you poor thing. My partner (43yrs old) suffers badly from acne and sebaceous cysts. He gets some that start as blind pimples or cysts that then swell to egg sized lum

Old 05-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #8
(female)

Yarasz HB User
Smile Re: HUGE acne cyst on forehead and face swelling! please help

Hi you poor thing. My partner (43yrs old) suffers badly from acne and sebaceous cysts. He gets some that start as blind pimples or cysts that then swell to egg sized lumps, most usually on his forehead or near the outer eyebrow region.

These swellings are very painful, when they get to this point they usually require a course of antibiotics to clear it up. He is on a course of cephalexin (500mg) at the moment.

Sadly whilst the antibiotic clears up the worst of the outbreak and swellings (he often has two at once) they haven't as yet cured the acne totally (by this I mean it usually reoccurs in a month or so) and so we battle on. The good news is despite some fairly awful episodes the antibiotic works well in the short term. Also nothing really nasty (infection wise) has ever resulted from the acne or cysts.

All in all I'd strongly suggest doc appointment, antibiotics & above all don't panic. Hope some of this helps. I feel for you and hope your poor face settles down and your acne behaves itself and gives you a break for a while.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #9
(female)

shawna9495 HB User

I have the same thing going on. It's been 3-4th day and its swollen.so bad my eyes are almost swollen.shut. what did they do?
I'm going to the ER later. I've never had anything like this before. I never had rlly bad achne. My fince thinks it's an allergic reactions to a new foundation. But I had what j thought wad a zit n ever since then.it got worse. Like u my.head is killing me plus I have sinuses going kn. I have 2 interviews today n I'm.so embarrassed I have o reschedule. This is horrible. If u could give me some afvic would b great. I used a cold compress before I wen to bed n woke up like this. SO Mich worse .

Old 03-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I woke up this morning with the same thing...at 7:30 this morning , called my dermatologist who said to come right over. I ran over at lunch time.....she injected it- and guess what? 4 hours later, its almost completely gone....by tomorrow It will be!

I have suffered with cystic acne for years...its horrible and you have my sympathy too...however, there is only one way to deal with it- have a dermatologist, do NOT use anything with benzoil peroxide which will aggravate it and make it worse- and have them injected before they become infected...because once they do, the pores next to it will also get infected and when one clears up the next one will erupt. You cant mess with cysts-- they continue and never stop until you inject them with medication. Only a derm can do so...

Find one fast! youll be suprised how quickly they can make them go away!

Old 02-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #11
(female)

okarianna HB User

I know I'm late replying to this post, but just wanted to share my experience with this same issue. I had a small bump on my forehead, which was small and very hard. It wasn't painful and unnoticeable not unless I showed it to you. One day, I squeezed it (big MISTAKE!!!!) and it got infected some terrible. I tried treating it with peroxide, but this made things worse. A couple of days later I felt dizzy, fatigued, and felt lots of pressure on my forehead. I got nervous and immediately went to the ER and was given 2 antibiotics-cephalexin 1,000mg per day and sulfameth/trimethoprim 800/160 twice per day. Three days later, I still was not feeling well so I made and appointment to see the dermatologist. He told me to use warm compresses
4 times a day and injected 7cc of steroid medication right into the cyst....OUCH!! He also said that I may have to have the cyst removed, but will probably have scarring. I looked at some other health boards and some people use castor oil packs which is suppose to help drain the pus from the cyst and help with scarring. I haven't tried this method only because I need to consult with my dermatologist first, but a lot of people says it works tremendously.

Last edited by okarianna; 02-13-2014 at 08:22 PM.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

I'm also late on this reply but maybe this will help someone else going through this.

In February 2004 I had a cyst pop up on my right cheek. Had it injected numerous times from until August 2006 when it finally drained (stupid me poked and prodded, don't do it!!!). Laid dormant until January 2013 when it blew up again. The pain and pressure built up and gave me major headaches. Got it injected monthly until a few weeks ago when my dermatologist suggested getting it removed by a plastic surgeon. My derm said he was able to do this for me but because it's located smack dab in the middle of my face, a plastic surgeon has a more specialized way of minimizing scarring. I should note that my derm had mentioned this back in 2004/2005 and I was adamant I didn't want to get cut up and deal with a scar.

If I had known then what I know now, I would've had this done years ago. Getting anesthesia injected was the most painful part. Having 10 stitches holding my cheek together for 8 days was embarrassing (luckily I took time off from work and only ended up going back to work for 2 days). But looking in the mirror and seeing no lump and a minimal scar easily covered by makeup is worth it. Knowing that everything has been removed so this can't give me any problems makes me want to cry because I'm so happy. Chances of reoccurence is much higher if the entire sac isn't carefully removed but my PS got it all and saved my sanity.

Reply Reply