It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
(male)

cup of tea HB User
Large, painful red bumps on skin

Hi. Over the last year or so I've had one or more large red bumps come up on my face, usually around my nose but I think they've appeared on my forehead too. They don't come to a head and last at least a week. I treat them with sudocrem and sometimes apply a cold cloth to them although I'm not sure if this helps.

I get them aprox. every 4-6 weeks and they are itchy and also painful to the touch.

I also get moderate acne so they are probably connected but they're very different to normal spots.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Old 06-04-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User
Re: Large, painful red bumps on skin

They could be cysts and you are just lucky that they go away instead of coming to a head.I had those for years,but I used to pick at them and make them worse.
You may also want to look into Rosaca.I say this because you said they are mostly around your nose.Does redness accompany them?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
(male)

cup of tea HB User

Yeah the bumps are really red. I had some rosacea cream but it didn't help. Why would I be getting cysts? Any ideas?
I'm a 24 year old male, my diet is good although I do over-indulge on the booze once or twice a fortnight. I get high anxiety (hence the drinking) so I often get very stressed and I have frequent bouts of very bad insomnia.
Just trying to think of things that could be significant.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User

Stress can DEFINITELY make things worse! It seems like whenever my face was the worst was when I was really stressed...so maybe try to work on your stress load.

Insomnia can make them worse too.If you are drinking,you may want to steer clear of beer.The yeast tends to encourage acne.

Don't beat yourself up though,I doubt a little booze or bad food now and then would make a huge difference.Some of us are just more prone no matter what we do.

Do you mind me asking what you are currently using on your face?

Last edited by WhenItRains; 06-04-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
(male)

cup of tea HB User

Cleansing lotion and SPF15 day cream. I was cleansing twice a day but I've just started doing it once a day now in case that was making it worse.
I tend to go for gentle cleansers if I can find them.
Hmmm, yeast can encourage acne? So would bread be as bad as beer and similar drinks for that?

Old 06-09-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Washing twice a day is not too much if your skin is oily...If your skin is dry,then once a day is probably enough.

Some sunscreen can make break outs worse,so be careful with that.
It's kinda a double edge sword because you don't want to get wrinkles or sun damage,but SPF can cause pimples.Make sure your lotion is not greasy too.

You may want to consider using a cleanser formulated to fight acne,or some other type of acne fighting product.Some lotions have salicylic acid in them which is good because that exfoliates your face and helps keep pores unclogged.

The Following User Says Thank You to WhenItRains For This Useful Post:
cup of tea (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
(male)

cup of tea HB User

I've tried

Last edited by cup of tea; 06-11-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
(male)

cup of tea HB User

Oops...can't edit the above post...lets try again.

I've tried acne fighting products many times but they either do nothing (which is most commonly the case) or seem to make it worse! Exfoliating cleansers seem to make it worse, foaming cleansers totally dry my skin out and the problem I have with these specially formulated products is that they are expensive to someone on a low budget (like moi) and because they never work I always end up wasting money. Searching online it seems that many acne sufferers are unsatisfied with these products anyway.

I don't really use sunscreen more than about 3 times a year because I live in England and those of us who don't go abroad are better off investing in an umbrella instead of sunscreen

Last edited by cup of tea; 06-11-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

A lot of people don't give their acne products time to work though...It can take up to 3 weeks before results can be seen because the product has to bring up all the acne that is beneath the skin first.This is called the "initial breakout". Some people don't want to deal with that though,which is understandable.But if you stick with it,it should eventually do some good.

Often times a dermatologist will prescribe a short supply of antibiotics to help with this period so the "initial breakout" is not so bad.

Have you tried any natural products? People swear by tea tree oil.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #10
(male)

cup of tea HB User

I try things for about a month usually. I haven't tried tea tree oil no but I'll look our for it, though I have tried products containing tea tree.

I'm using something I've used in the past that i remember worked briefly, I can't remember if I was applying twice a day though when I was using it last time which you are supposed to do so I'm giving it another try.
Its called zineryt and its a lotion I have to have on prescription. I've been using it a few days now and it already seems to be helping! I'll see how long it lasts

Last edited by cup of tea; 06-20-2012 at 07:16 AM.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Milly50 HB UserMilly50 HB User

Get your diet as unprocessed and natural as possible. Try gently steaming your face after cleansing and then moisturise with a thin layer of unperfumed gently cream. Drink lots of water. The skin is the body's largest organ and toxins are released through it. Don't eat too much, don't eat for 4 hours before you go to bed. An empty stomach means the body can detoxify at night. It takes weeks and months to purify your skin so expect to take time.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:27 AM   #12
(male)

cup of tea HB User

Okay thanks for the advice Milly50 that's good to know

The following user gives a hug of support to cup of tea:
Milly50 (07-01-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 01:26 AM   #13
(female)

Jenniferr HB User

sounds like cystic acne to me. it's mostly hormonal I think. Right now, I have 3 large super painful cysts on my chin, surrounding an even more painful monster cyst that is really red and awful looking. I'm holding an icepack on my face at 3am because it hurts so bad I can't even sleep. I've gotten pretty desperate as to how to fix this problem without spending $300 dollars on Accutane or $100 dollars on a cortisone shot. can anyone please help, I'm at a complete desperate loss

Old 07-01-2012, 05:06 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Milly50 HB UserMilly50 HB User

Hi Jenniferr,

how dreadful for you. See my posting above about natural healing which to my mind is always best. However, you are in a terrible situation and really should see a dermatologist as soon as possible. Do overhaul your diet though, I believe defective diet is at the root of almost every illness. I do hope you find a solution soon, it must be a nightmare for you.

Are these spots full of pus? If so, it makes more sense to gently steam your face and draw out the poison. Alternatively, soak a flannel in very hot water and hold it over them to heat them up gently many times a day. Can they be squeezed like spots? It must be toxins trying to leave the body through your skin. What do you eat and drink - I would see if you are eating overprocessed food with lots of chemicals and preservatives?

One point always to remember: the body will always try to heal, all you need to do is find the right ways to support the healing. Would you be prepared to try a period of fasting? A day or two without any food, just pure water, gives the whole body a chance to 'spring-clean' itself. Your body has all the tools it needs to self-cleanse and self-heal but it must have the right support to do it.

Emotionally, are you under great stress and worry? If so, find ways to deeply relax, a good way is learning to meditate. Are you getting enough fresh air, try a brisk walk daily. Do you get enough sleep? Get 7 to 8 hours. Don't apply anything perfumed to your skin, try the simplest unperfumed creams and only apply a little. Cleanliness is vital for skin to avoid infection while it heals.

Let me know how you get on.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #15
(male)

cup of tea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniferr View Post
sounds like cystic acne to me. it's mostly hormonal I think. Right now, I have 3 large super painful cysts on my chin, surrounding an even more painful monster cyst that is really red and awful looking. I'm holding an icepack on my face at 3am because it hurts so bad I can't even sleep. I've gotten pretty desperate as to how to fix this problem without spending $300 dollars on Accutane or $100 dollars on a cortisone shot. can anyone please help, I'm at a complete desperate loss
Sorry to hear that love. It sounds really bad I hope you get it sorted.

Reply Reply