It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
(female)

kjblock HB User
Question Unable to get Plexion cleanser--help!

New here. I have a 14 year old daughter who started using sulfacetamide sulfur cleanser (rx written for Plexion and filled with Prascion) in April. I just went to refill the rx and can't get it. I've been told it's discontinued (not for safety reasons) and am confused--there are other brand names for it like Avar cleanser, but the pharmacist said they are all marked discontinued.

Her dermatologist on the phone said there is nothing else to prescribe and just use Neutragena Acne cleanser OTC (nothing OTC was working which is why we went to her in the 1st place!). Salycilic acid and BP don't work for her. Plexion worked well after an initial adjustment period and she is heartbroken at the thought of having to use something else that won't work. Acne is a big deal when you're this age!

Does anyone know if I can get sulfacetamide sulfur cleanser still or has it really disappeared from the market? It was discontinued in Feb but she was prescribed it in April--I really wish they had known then that it was discontinued.

And does anyone know why it has been discontinued? It seemed to work really well.

Thanks!

(P.S. I'm in upstate NY if that helps)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
(female)

ladylenna HB User
Re: Unable to get Plexion cleanser--help!

Have you made any progress? I was told a 9% and 4.5% solution may be available instead of the 10% and 5%

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
(female)

ladylenna HB User

Yes, I have had the same exact experience. I am in New York City area.
It is strange, and no reason is being given.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-09-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
(female)

dfnyc HB User

Have either of you had any luck with this? I am also in the NYC area and am having a similar issue. Had been using a wash called Clenia, but that has been discontinued. My dermatologist suggested Avar as a replacement, but now the pharmacy is telling me that they need to check with the manufacturer but that it might be discontinued as well? (In doing my own investigating, I did notice that Avar has disappeared from the Mission Pharmacal website, so it probably is gone.) Were either of you successful in finding a good substitute (or a place that has extra stock where I could still get the prescription filled??) Any input would be very much appreciated!

Old 10-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
(male)

hello234 HB User

There is an 9%-4.5% equivalent(but slightly less than the Plexion/Prascion strength), it is sold under the brand name - Garimide manufactured by Rochester Pharmaceuticals, hope this helps.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
(female)

requiemma HB User

1st post. I'm here in Memphis Tennessee. I've also been told by my pharmacists that the Prascion/Plexion cleanser I've used for years has been discontinued! Any luck with other products?

Old 04-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
(female)

Chicagolady HB User
Lightbulb Re: Unable to get Plexion cleanser--help!

Hi,

I also am a former user of Avar and Plexion and cannot get either. I live in a suburb of Chicago.

Plexion always worked great for me after 20 years of not finding anything that would work on me. I was prescribed PanOxyl which was a prescrition medication and it worked very similar to Plexion. The PanOxyl was the closest thing to Plexion that I could find and sure enough it was also discontinued through the pharmacy but I contacted the manufacturer directly and found out that it is now an over the counter medication. When I contacted them and they told me that I still could not find it on a shelf at any store. I think people were hoarding it. I went as far as looking on ebay and the were selling it for as much as $70.00 per bottle because of the high demand.

I am happy to tell you all that I recently have been able to purchase it at my local Walgreens and WalMart stores. Can't get it from either one online but it was on the shelf and for just under $10.00 per bottle.

If you can find locate a bottle near you it just might be worth the try. It has worked great for me.

Closed Thread