HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acne (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/)
-   -   acne has ruined my life (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/913197-acne-has-ruined-my-life.html)

sally23 08-07-2012 01:22 AM

acne has ruined my life

hi i am new on hear and have never wrote about my issues like this before but il try anyway! acne has ruined my life i know to some people this might seem like a huge over statement but if you have not lived with severe acne for almost half your life its hard to understand what a dramatic efffect it can have on a person. my acne started at 16 before i had acne my life was very easy i was always called pretty i had grate grades in school had grate self esteem lifes prospects and my future seemd clear and i knew who i was and what i wanted to be ! i thought i had it all so clear at a young age but then in a matter of weeks whyle i was 16 my face just began to brake out and change before my eyes big red systic spots that grew and changed everyday! i went to a dermatologist right away and soon after went on roacutane ! the side effects scared me but i felt it was worth a try . it did help calm it down for a small amount of time but i felt i was lossing alot of hair whyle on the drug so i stoped useing it. i feel after useing it that my hair never got as thick agen as it was before and it has realy taken a tole on me as my hair was my crown and glory for years before my acne and roacutane ! nobody has said my hair looks thin and if i ask people thay say its ok but i know myself that it is not as thick as it should be and it gets to me grately.. anyway my skin has continued to bleed wheep and puss for over 8 years now it has had times were it was almost clear but then erupts agen ! i fell into a deep depresion with the stress and pain from the acne and feeling like i was a monster school was hell i would be harrased called pizza face made feel like an out cast and ultimatly tryed to kill myself ! then was put on 200 mg of antidpresants for over 5 years but i resently stoped as i felt enuf was enuf ! i am now hitting 24 i have got by in life by useing makeup to hide my acne ( i know people say make upp blocks poors and makes acne worse but mine was horrible b4 i ever used make up) make up has been the only thing thats alowed me to have a social life ! i have made alot of frends over the years been told im beutifull been loved been hated been all the things a person usualy should be but the acne is always there i feel like a huge phoney becouse all my looks are just makeup and clever hair styling (side parting ) that covers half my face and looks sort of emo/gothic and over compinsating with nice cloths that show off my figure and that sort of thing! my acne is worse then ever i thought it would have stoped by now as people always say that a person grows out of it in there 20s i am always waiting and wishing and hopeing for that day to come ! and the worst thing is i feel my youthfull face is getting older looking like tired bags under my eyes and the onset of wrinkles and the worst part is i cant treat them with anti wrinkle creams becouse the oils make my acne evan worse and all my frends and evan my boyfrend have perfect skin and youthfull faces i feel my skin has been dryed out from all the years of drying acne clensers and years of antibiotic creams ! i realy feel at a loss and its getting harder and harder to go out be with frends and evan my boyfrend dosnt see me all the time cuz i hide from him when i get brakeouts that sumtimes last over 3 weeks and i dont know how im ment to move in with him get a job and start liveing when all i do is sit around eating almost nothing but salad trying for my skin to get better . ! its just so hard to have teenage acne but also have skin that is sumhow prematurely ageing the hole mix of the two is realy sending me over the edge and i realy feel like acne has won! i have let go of many frends and opportunities due to acne as it is easyer to stay inside and let go of frends becouse i was sick of letting them down on brake out days ! but anyway i just wanted to ask if anyone has had a similer acne experiance as i have? and if there is any products that are good for anti ageing and also kind to acne ? i realy need help!

Jason2290 08-07-2012 02:06 PM

Re: acne has ruined my life

I'm 22 now. I've had the problem as you for 8 years now. I've met several dermatologists and have gone through a several treatments. Every time I feel its healing, something happens and it gets worse. In school, before acne, I was funny, confident and girls used to adore me, I had my first kiss. After my breakouts, I started secluding myself, avoiding social activities, stopped going out of my room. I was bullied. My grades have fallen. I was my classes top student. I am not motivated to do anything. I can't maintain eye contact in a conversation. I tried to overdose, didn't work. Now, I'm in Uni, but my acne has left marks on my face. I still breakout. I've stopped eating literally anything that contains sugar. When I started to breakout, my girlfriend left me. It happend twice, with different girls. Since then, I've just stopped trying. I'm mentally and emotional scarred, perhaps for life. At least, you have a boyfriend, makeup and some social life. I'm a boy, well now a man, a loner, friendless. I don't know what I've done to deserve this. I would just be happy to be in your place. I know, I'm pathetic. I'm sorry if I wasn't any help. But I can understand what you are going through. No one else can understand what people like us go through, not even family. We have to battle depression and several other difficulties. It requires a ton of confidence for me to just step out of my house.

laporte 08-09-2012 01:30 AM

hello sally 23 - you need to try spironolactone - i think you are suffering from hormonal imbalance acne and this drug will block androgen (male hormone that is out of whack in side your body) Once you start this drugh you will notice a lessr oily skin, improve texture and even the decrease in pores size....especially good for cystic/nodule breakouts.....the inflame/ redness will lessen...if you take it long enough...you might be acne free. pls try it. I want you to be happy- no one deserves to live like this. I just started on spiro (5th day now) and I already see a difference in my skin...I can't wait after a month on it....I am your supporter

VeganRAw 08-09-2012 05:21 PM

That's good that you eat salads, but you should try going raw. You can eat anything that is raw, like vegetables/fruits and nuts/seeds. Also, drink lots of water. You should go plant-based. It does take a while to see improvement, but it is worth it. It makes my skin glow a bit, but I still break out >_<

XBOX4EVR 08-14-2012 02:17 PM

I'm sorry to hear this but hand in there you're still in your early 20's it's still a part of growing up. You will grow out of it.

Aspen129 08-14-2012 05:10 PM

[QUOTE=XBOX4EVR;5039730]I'm sorry to hear this but hand in there you're still in your early 20's it's still a part of growing up. You will grow out of it.[/QUOTE]

I know acne is a terrible thing. I had a problem similiar to this, went to the dr mulitple times..nothing. Let me tell you the home remedy, that with alot of experimenting, worked for me. I clean my face, nose, chin or the area thats affected with apple cider vinegar twice a day, its gonna burn, dont rinse it off, let it air dry. Then I apply, its gonna sound crazy, but it has to be this brand, VH essentials, advanced sensitive medicated cream, for yeast infections and lady things. Its in a white tube with pink and orange flowers. Within a couple weeks a looked like a new person.

crookedhearts 08-15-2012 12:04 PM

Yeah acne sucks Sally, but try to be more positive! The thing is, just let go of this idea of one day having perfect (or near perfect skin) and never having to wear makeup, and never having to worry about acne etc. It's not the end of the world, and I bet it's not nearly as bad as you think, so try to see this problem as being half in your head (years of acne have destroyed your self esteem and people simply do not see your face the way you do) and half on your face. Truth is, a lot of people have crappy skin, and most people wear makeup every day (i know I do).

suzyshop1 12-08-2012 02:09 PM

That's what i thought too,but iv'e been battling cystic acne since my teen yrs,and im now 56,sitting here with a band aid on my chin,from and underground pimple that won't come to a head.I know what you mean about ppl not being able to understand emotionally how you feel about your skin,how it takes a toll on you,that can sometimes send a person into a depression,or make them never want too come out of the house.My brother and sister have never had a problem with acne,so they have no idea,how embarassing it can be,too go outside ,with your face looking like a war zone.I keep hoping even at 56 to wake up someday to a clear skin,but by that time arrives,the wrinkles will be setting in.I truly feel for the ppl who have acne,just wish i had some words of encouragment for you.When i get a really bad zit,i just slap a small band aid on it,and go on with my life.I have out grown some of my acne,but i still get the cystic ones,at least 3 times a month,wish i had the normal kind of acne,not the painful kind.Hope you find something that works for you.

popss 12-13-2012 09:35 AM

please never say to someone with acne 'you will grow out of it'. 9 times out of 10 it is just simply not true and there is actually something going on inside the body that needs to be dealt with. everyone gets a few 'pimples' here and there but acne is different and you can not lump it in with the same 'teenage pimples' title.

popss 12-13-2012 09:38 AM

[QUOTE=XBOX4EVR;5039730]I'm sorry to hear this but hand in there you're still in your early 20's it's still a part of growing up. You will grow out of it.[/QUOTE]

please never say to someone with acne 'you will grow out of it'. 9 times out of 10 it is just simply not true and there is actually something going on inside the body that needs to be dealt with. everyone gets a few 'pimples' here and there but acne is different and you can not lump it in with the same 'teenage pimples' title.

Diggy2010 04-06-2013 12:02 PM

[QUOTE=sally23;5035439]hi i am new on hear and have never wrote about my issues like this before but il try anyway! acne has ruined my life i know to some people this might seem like a huge over statement but if you have not lived with severe acne for almost half your life its hard to understand what a dramatic efffect it can have on a person. my acne started at 16 before i had acne my life was very easy i was always called pretty i had grate grades in school had grate self esteem lifes prospects and my future seemd clear and i knew who i was and what i wanted to be ! i thought i had it all so clear at a young age but then in a matter of weeks whyle i was 16 my face just began to brake out and change before my eyes big red systic spots that grew and changed everyday! i went to a dermatologist right away and soon after went on roacutane ! the side effects scared me but i felt it was worth a try . it did help calm it down for a small amount of time but i felt i was lossing alot of hair whyle on the drug so i stoped useing it. i feel after useing it that my hair never got as thick agen as it was before and it has realy taken a tole on me as my hair was my crown and glory for years before my acne and roacutane ! nobody has said my hair looks thin and if i ask people thay say its ok but i know myself that it is not as thick as it should be and it gets to me grately.. anyway my skin has continued to bleed wheep and puss for over 8 years now it has had times were it was almost clear but then erupts agen ! i fell into a deep depresion with the stress and pain from the acne and feeling like i was a monster school was hell i would be harrased called pizza face made feel like an out cast and ultimatly tryed to kill myself ! then was put on 200 mg of antidpresants for over 5 years but i resently stoped as i felt enuf was enuf ! i am now hitting 24 i have got by in life by useing makeup to hide my acne ( i know people say make upp blocks poors and makes acne worse but mine was horrible b4 i ever used make up) make up has been the only thing thats alowed me to have a social life ! i have made alot of frends over the years been told im beutifull been loved been hated been all the things a person usualy should be but the acne is always there i feel like a huge phoney becouse all my looks are just makeup and clever hair styling (side parting ) that covers half my face and looks sort of emo/gothic and over compinsating with nice cloths that show off my figure and that sort of thing! my acne is worse then ever i thought it would have stoped by now as people always say that a person grows out of it in there 20s i am always waiting and wishing and hopeing for that day to come ! and the worst thing is i feel my youthfull face is getting older looking like tired bags under my eyes and the onset of wrinkles and the worst part is i cant treat them with anti wrinkle creams becouse the oils make my acne evan worse and all my frends and evan my boyfrend have perfect skin and youthfull faces i feel my skin has been dryed out from all the years of drying acne clensers and years of antibiotic creams ! i realy feel at a loss and its getting harder and harder to go out be with frends and evan my boyfrend dosnt see me all the time cuz i hide from him when i get brakeouts that sumtimes last over 3 weeks and i dont know how im ment to move in with him get a job and start liveing when all i do is sit around eating almost nothing but salad trying for my skin to get better . ! its just so hard to have teenage acne but also have skin that is sumhow prematurely ageing the hole mix of the two is realy sending me over the edge and i realy feel like acne has won! i have let go of many frends and opportunities due to acne as it is easyer to stay inside and let go of frends becouse i was sick of letting them down on brake out days ! but anyway i just wanted to ask if anyone has had a similer acne experiance as i have? and if there is any products that are good for anti ageing and also kind to acne ? i realy need help![/QUOTE]

Diggy2010 04-06-2013 12:16 PM

Hello, I have been reading this post, and I am feeling the same about my acne. I have been dealing with acne on and off since the age of 13. I used to have it under control until Xmas 2012. I stopped using my panoxyl aquagel 2.5 as I was running out and they have now discontinued it, I thought I would be ok without it. I still got the odd lump but the gel sorted dried it up. It did make my forehead a bit irritated though. Not sure if this has been the main cause or because i have been trying other things to treat it. Did try quinoderm and that just irritated it. Well my acne is back to haunt me yet again. I am covered in the red angry ones on my forehead and chin which take ages to go and leave horrible marks. I hate going out and I am missing days off work. I am feeling really depressed again about it. Being to the doctors and taking antibiotics and zineryt which hasn't done much. I was wondering how you are getting on with your skin?