It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
(female)

sonal2012 HB User
Has acne affected your career?

So I came to know that one of my friends has landed a $80.000/yr job just 1 month after graduating. And here I am, with more education, but scared to go even on interviews because of acne. I don't know what to do, but I am feeling insanely jealous. I am also currently pregnant with my 1st child, so can't take accutane until after weaning. I know accutane is my last hope because I have tried all the other topicals/antibiotics etc. I am 32, but have no confidence and people in their 20's are more well established in their careers than me. I know if I didn't have acne, my life would be very different....

The following user gives a hug of support to sonal2012:
DucStar (08-28-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

crookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB User
Re: Has acne affected your career?

Hooooyeah. I used to feel like acne kept me from living my life but then even when I had clear skin, I'd start obsessing about the scars...and you know the thing about scars? No matter how little you'll ALWAYS see them. So just like acne, I started to let them keep me from living like a "normal" person. But then I saw a different therapist and I started realizing that it's not the acne or the scars, it's the ANXIETY, so I now see them as 2 separate things. Acne or the resultant scars are only 1/2 the problem here and the rest is in our heads---

The Following User Says Thank You to crookedhearts For This Useful Post:
ignoreen (11-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
(male)

DucStar HB User

I'm 32 and have awful scarring and have ongoing acne, although its generally controlled ok with clyndamyacin foam. I'm a 2nd level manager at one of the biggest most demanding companies in the world. I don't believe that acne has held me back at all. There are days that I wake up with painful acne, or just feel super self conscious and don't want to get out of bed, but that's all in my head most of the time other people don't care at all.

Good luck finding a way to let go of the paranoia, it's hard to do, and no matter how well you get over it you may still have bad days. It's important to know that it's ok to have bad days, but don't give up power to acne, you hold the cards and power, not it.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
(female)

ignoreen HB User

Makeup can help until you can use the accutane. My sister recommended MAC makeup to me and its easy to apply - works wonder esp. when you get your photo taken - you cant see any of the scars or acne in the photo when wearing it. Its expensive but it lasts. Go to a store and have the beautician find the right color. Just buy a little of the concealor in the pot and a brush to apply. You need to wash the brush with a gentle glycerin based soap or hand soap under warm water to clean it, say once a week. Good luck

Old 11-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
(female)

ignoreen HB User
Wink Re: Has acne affected your career?

Oh one more thing:

remember that hot water is harsh on pores.
Try using medium - warm water to steam open the pores, then use a gentle face soap, then use cool water to close the pores and apply makeup or moisturizer afterward. Also a gentle face massage stimulates the blood and nerves and gets the circulation going. When using face soap, really try to rub in gentle cirles for a full 30 seconds in each part of the face so you can really get the circulation going and the soap has time to work. (like in those listerine commercials where people encourage you to swish for 60 seconds).

*hugs*

Closed Thread