It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
(female)

laporte HB User
When should i expect spiro to work

i am just curious.....i have been on spiro for a month now. The only positive affect so far is my skin is less oily, pores less visible.....other than that.....i broke out pretty bad on my chin (cystic type) and i have small pimple/ bumps thru out my hairline, and a few bumps along my jawline too. Am i suppose to have a big breakout in the beginning?? and than eventually my bumps and pimples will disappear later on?? How long do i have to take this drug? Any other side effects am i going to experience??? I read that fatigue and thirstiness .....i can cope with this what other ones should i expect?? My girlfriend mention my breast will grow is this true? i thought I read only men who took it will have enlarge breast Please give me advice ....I really need it

Old 09-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

crookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB User
Re: When should i expect spiro to work

Yes laporte, your boobs and hips+thighs get bigger over time on this drug. The thing you need to understand about spiro to understand the effects it can have is that it decreases your testosterone while making it easier for your body to convert estrogen (making you produce more). This is something the doctors never explain, though I'm not sure why. Testosterone is responsible for a big part of our sex drive as well as our body's ability to create (and maintain) muscle mass, so it also plays a big role in speeding our metabolism (muscle is what helps us burn calories). Estrogen on the other hand, makes us soft and prone to cellulite, so increasing it actually slows the metabolism as it makes it difficult to gain or maintain muscle etc. Spir basically makes you estrogen dominant, which makes you prone to carrying weight in your hips and thighs (think Kim Kardashian: big boobs, butt, and tiny waist--that is the shape of an estrogen dominant female).

Anyways, I'm not saying it'll make you fat or anything, but it may change your body shape and composition over time (and I stress the words "over time" as it could take a full year to see these changes gradually), and if that's the case, it wont matter what you eat or how much you exercise because like i said, the hormones can change where you carry the weight (i found that no amount of exercise seemed to make a difference).

And YES, it definitely tends to break you out intermittenly during the first 3 months, and often in places you might not be used to (so it's not like one massive break out; it could be several of them). Personally, I can't stand spiro any more; I feel like it's irreversibly changed my hormones and I can't seem to get them back to where they were. I just tried to get off it again and BAM I lost 5 lbs at first but then 2 weeks later I'm back to being bloated like a beached whale! I don't know if spiro is solely to blame for it but I gave in and took a little bit and what do you know? Now I'm breaking out again like the first time I took it! I feel your pain.

*also, yeah, it definitely seemed to worsen my cystic acne at first too, while at the same time it gave me these nasty little whiteheads around my chin and jawline--the very places it's supposed to help acne! Don't worry, I remember it all began to taper off and clear up by the end of the third month.

Last edited by crookedhearts; 09-05-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: clarification

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
(female)

laporte HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedhearts View Post
Yes laporte, your boobs and hips+thighs get bigger over time on this drug. The thing you need to understand about spiro to understand the effects it can have is that it decreases your testosterone while making it easier for your body to convert estrogen (making you produce more). This is something the doctors never explain, though I'm not sure why. Testosterone is responsible for a big part of our sex drive as well as our body's ability to create (and maintain) muscle mass, so it also plays a big role in speeding our metabolism (muscle is what helps us burn calories). Estrogen on the other hand, makes us soft and prone to cellulite, so increasing it actually slows the metabolism as it makes it difficult to gain or maintain muscle etc. Spir basically makes you estrogen dominant, which makes you prone to carrying weight in your hips and thighs (think Kim Kardashian: big boobs, butt, and tiny waist--that is the shape of an estrogen dominant female).

Anyways, I'm not saying it'll make you fat or anything, but it may change your body shape and composition over time (and I stress the words "over time" as it could take a full year to see these changes gradually), and if that's the case, it wont matter what you eat or how much you exercise because like i said, the hormones can change where you carry the weight (i found that no amount of exercise seemed to make a difference).

And YES, it definitely tends to break you out intermittenly during the first 3 months, and often in places you might not be used to (so it's not like one massive break out; it could be several of them). Personally, I can't stand spiro any more; I feel like it's irreversibly changed my hormones and I can't seem to get them back to where they were. I just tried to get off it again and BAM I lost 5 lbs at first but then 2 weeks later I'm back to being bloated like a beached whale! I don't know if spiro is solely to blame for it but I gave in and took a little bit and what do you know? Now I'm breaking out again like the first time I took it! I feel your pain.

*also, yeah, it definitely seemed to worsen my cystic acne at first too, while at the same time it gave me these nasty little whiteheads around my chin and jawline--the very places it's supposed to help acne! Don't worry, I remember it all began to taper off and clear up by the end of the third month.
I really appreciate your reply....i really don't need bigger boobs or hips...they are big enough...i think i will stop taking spiro....i think i will take the antibiotic my family doctor suggested...by taking the antibiotic....it is temporary relief.....it sounds like you are not happy with spiro either....so what other methods are you taking to control your acne breakout????...i really like to know...should i take accutane? would this help me?

Old 09-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Ugh! I've resorted (yet again) to trying to take a tiny dose of spiro because I CANT STAND how my face has become CRAZY OILY and it's totally f-ed up my hormones (whenever I go off of it I start breaking out again--and in places that I NEVER BROKE OUT BEFORE!). I swear to god this stuff affects my body like birth control--it's crazy.

Be careful about going off of it. From what I remember you were on a high dose right? Ween yourself off slowly because it makes you swell up like a beached whale and break out like crazy if you just stop it.

I use retin a gel and take the oral antibiotic Clindimyocin (eh, i've spelled it wrong but close enough). I hate antibiotics too, because you're right: they are supposed to be temporary. Luckily for me, I seem to be able to get away with taking the same antibiotic for years with it still being effective--but it's not good to be on antibiotics forever so I worry about it (still i'd rather have clear skin). I've been on different ones through the years. Be careful about taking the cycline antibiotics for extended periods--they can have GI side effects (they cause nausea and upset stomach etc) and in the end, basically make your skin more fragile and prone to sun damage.

I would definitely try accutane if you're open to it. I was only ever able to handle a low dose of the stuff b/c of the side effects--i got horrible depression and headaches from it--but the side effects are different for everyone on accutane, so try to ignore all the scary crap you hear about it. For lots of people, they say it's the only thing that ever worked. It seemed to help my acne a lot even at a low dose but then I just quit taking it and used retin a instead.

If I could take a full accutane course (at full strength) I would, just in the hopes that it could get rid of my acne forever, but I can't, so in the end I've just concluded that I just have to find the right balance of treatments to work for me. Antibiotics, a bit of spiro, and retin a seemed to work best. I think if I took up spiro again I'd be able to get rid of the antibiotic but I just can't bear to take the full dose.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
(female)

laporte HB User
Thumbs up Re: When should i expect spiro to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedhearts View Post
Ugh! I've resorted (yet again) to trying to take a tiny dose of spiro because I CANT STAND how my face has become CRAZY OILY and it's totally f-ed up my hormones (whenever I go off of it I start breaking out again--and in places that I NEVER BROKE OUT BEFORE!). I swear to god this stuff affects my body like birth control--it's crazy.

Be careful about going off of it. From what I remember you were on a high dose right? Ween yourself off slowly because it makes you swell up like a beached whale and break out like crazy if you just stop it.

I use retin a gel and take the oral antibiotic Clindimyocin (eh, i've spelled it wrong but close enough). I hate antibiotics too, because you're right: they are supposed to be temporary. Luckily for me, I seem to be able to get away with taking the same antibiotic for years with it still being effective--but it's not good to be on antibiotics forever so I worry about it (still i'd rather have clear skin). I've been on different ones through the years. Be careful about taking the cycline antibiotics for extended periods--they can have GI side effects (they cause nausea and upset stomach etc) and in the end, basically make your skin more fragile and prone to sun damage.

I would definitely try accutane if you're open to it. I was only ever able to handle a low dose of the stuff b/c of the side effects--i got horrible depression and headaches from it--but the side effects are different for everyone on accutane, so try to ignore all the scary crap you hear about it. For lots of people, they say it's the only thing that ever worked. It seemed to help my acne a lot even at a low dose but then I just quit taking it and used retin a instead.

If I could take a full accutane course (at full strength) I would, just in the hopes that it could get rid of my acne forever, but I can't, so in the end I've just concluded that I just have to find the right balance of treatments to work for me. Antibiotics, a bit of spiro, and retin a seemed to work best. I think if I took up spiro again I'd be able to get rid of the antibiotic but I just can't bear to take the full dose.

Well i took spiro for a month and 7 days....I don't think i will swell up or anything. I have to admit as i was on spiro...i went on a low potassium/ no dairy diet and i seem to eat less....I am not sure if it is the diet or the meds that is making me eat less but I think I will continue with this diet....I am going to see my doctor next monday....I am going to discuss with her the alternative treatments for my acne....i think i might have PCOS so i better have that check out and I should get my hormones check too.........I hate this perimenopause period...all these yucky stuff...i forgot to mention I suffer from IBS-C Inflammatory bowel syndrome - constipation type..... Anyways, thanks for all your valuable advice....I really appreciate it...I will update on how my visit with my doctor next week thanks crookedhearts

Old 09-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Yeah, my eating habits did not change in spiro--and not really my weight either (unless you count the bloating), it's more like it was just distributed differently (like, my *** totally got bigger and no matter how much I worked out i seemed to lose all my tonedness, which ****** me off). But maybe you should stay on it? It sounds like it might be good for you, and everybody reacts to meds differently (me, I have always been very overly sensitive to hormones).

What does a low potassium diet consist of? Is it like an anti inflammatory diet? Also, you might want to stay away from accutane and cycline antibiotics if you have IBS because from what I've read it can really aggravate it (my dr diagnosed me with IBS when I was little but I'm not sure I actually am, as it hasn't bothered me much since then).

Old 09-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
(female)

laporte HB User

Hi crookedhearts, here is a sample of a low potassium diet.....i really advise you to go on it...if u are continuing on spiro meds....

Fruits
Fruits that have the lowest levels of potassium include fresh blueberries (63 mg per 1/2 cup), sweetened applesauce (78 mg per 1/2 cup), mandarin oranges (98 mg per 1/2 cup), or grapes (93 mg per 10 small grapes). Fruits that provide between 100 and 200 mg per serving include a medium peach, a small apple or 1/2 cup apple juice, one cup of watermelon, 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, or 1/2 cup of canned pineapple or peaches. Often it is advised to drain the juice from canned fruits before eating to decrease potassium levels. Be sure to avoid fruits like papaya, prune juice, banana, cantaloupe or honeydew melon, as these are very high in potassium.

Vegetables
Just like fruits, some vegetables have lower levels of potassium than others and should be consumed wisely. The vegetables with the least amount of potassium (less than 100mg/serving) are one cup of iceberg lettuce and 1/2 cup of cucumber slices or frozen green beans. Other moderately low potassium veggies (between 100-200 mg) include fresh green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, or carrots, frozen corn, canned peas, or cooked zucchini and summer squash. Avoid baked sweet potatoes or regular potatoes, avocados, and tomatoes or tomato juice, which are over 400 mg of potassium per serving.

Other Foods
As far as protein sources go, eggs are a fantastic low-potassium source of protein, with only 55 mg per egg. If you are a dairy-lover, you may have to cut back on yogurt and milk, but a serving of American or cheddar cheese has low potassium levels (79 and 28 mg respectively) and vanilla ice cream is also a moderately low-potassium food, with 131 mg per /12 cup. Other good news, 1.5 oz. of a chocolate bar contains only 169 mg of potassium.

Thanks for the heads up on accutane...i don't think i will try it....hey I did some research on natural anti androgen treatment...they said to take vit A 10,000 IU and vit E 400 IU and Vit B6 100mg ...i just started today...in time I will let you know if works or not....again thanks for the advice

Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
(female)

Sodalishus HB User

This just confirms the horror I've been going through
I used to be 113lbs/ with a body that all my friends envied. Curves in all the right places. Ever since starting 200mg of spiro/ daily for the last 3 years I have gained 10lbs of FAT! Cellulite everywhere! I'm taking from arms to abdomen to *** to thighs to calves. :'( it's absolutely embarrassing.

I could stop talking spiro... But It's the only thing that's slowing down the rate of my female pattern hair loss.

I try working out and get so lightheaded within 5 minutes of any activity. And even when I do power through it .. I don't see any results.

I don't know what to do! It's either reduce cellulite and be balding or have tons of cellulite with slightly thicker hair.

I'm 25 this something that I should have to go though.

If anyone has any tips to keep the thickness of my hair that spiro gives me without the cellulite everywhere PLLLLEASE HELP!

Reply Reply