It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
(female)

ldp425 HB User
Exclamation major initial breakout!! Alesse!! should i stick it out?

So the past 5 months have been an acne-hell for me. I am studying abroad this semester in Argentina and experienced my first cyst on the plane ride over, and it has been downhill ever since.
I thought it was just a one-time thing because of stress or whatnot, and it cleared away but then a week later another cyst popped up right on my cheek. And once that one would clear away, another one would pop up and so forth. All in the same jawline/cheek area, but it was only really one at a time, and my t-zone, forehead and chin were 100% clear.
I didn't know what to do because I'd never really suffered from cystic acne before and this stuff was deep and painful. I'd usually end up draining it and letting it scab over, just pounding on the neosporin until the scab came off. (now I have been trying not to drain them unless they really need to be)
Then my mom came to visit me here and I showed her how my skin was going crazy. I thought maybe it was from smoking so I quit but that didn't seem to help. She brought me some topicals and the Bactrim DS antibiotic my derm prescribed me years ago to clear up mild acne, but it hasn't done anything for this deep painful cystic cheek acne. So we talked to my derm from the US and she recommended a birth control because it is obviously hormonal acne. The one that I ended up going on is an argentine generic of alesse. I have finished one pack and my skin has gotten twice as worse. Instead of one cyst I have 5 or 6 at a time, all on the cheeks, and I even broke out in some regular big pimples on the chin and forehead where I never had problems before. It has never been this bad. I know there is an initial breakout but I have been reading everywhere that it is androgenic and creates more acne and I don't know if I can last another month even though people also say I should stick it out to see if it clears out.
Not sure what to do. Really want to switch to Yasmin. In this country you don't need a prescription for BC you can just walk up to the pharmacy and order whatever kind you want.
I also have gotten some benzaclin gel and that seems to be helping a tiny bit.
I just want to be clear! I have one more month here and then I go home for 2 months and come back. I just started dating an Argentine too and it just sucks because I sometimes don't feel like going out to see him because the cystic breakouts are so bad. Its hard too because I'm in another country and can't see my own derm. Went to a derm here when I had just started the Alesse and all she told me was to continue with it and prescribed me benzaclin because I asked for it and this other product-Cleanance by Avene.

What should I do???!! this breakout is so bad the worst of my life. waiting for my period now on the week off the pills and I don't know if I can do another month if it is going to make it worse!! my derm from the US says the first month there is no results (but i have seen resuluts--its been worse!!) and the second month there is a little improvement, but i just want to find something that works and many people have said yasmin is a miracle!

Things I have tried since I've been here:
multivitamins
fish oil supplement 1000mg(this has been a week, not sure if it is making it worse because it is a generic brand. should i get off them?)
bactrim DS
i tried spiro but I think I started at too high of a dose and didn't give it a chance to work because I had some side effects. starting again this week at 25mg.

please help me! what have other experiences been like on alesse? has it cleared up beautifully after a horrid first month? should I just get on yasmin or will that shock my body more?

Last edited by ldp425; 11-12-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
acne