It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
(female)

Forbes88 HB User
Acne help please!!

Hi everyone,
I am a 31 year old who never dealt with acne issues growing up. However, in mid to late December I developed severe cystic and hormonal type acne that was incredibly painful. It was mostly located in the chin and cheek area and moreso on the right side of my face. I had always taken pretty good care of my skin and had a routine. Didn't think it was from anything new I had used but couldn't be sure. I figured it was a result of great stress after 5 months of having my younger brother in the hospital and his passing as well as starting a new teaching job. My sister is a PA and put me on an oral med and recommended I use Proactiv (I started both right away). The painful cysts and extreme redness got better but I was still breaking out. I know that both of these take time. It is now late March. I recently finished the medication and still using Proactiv. I am still experiencing some breakouts and have scaring on my right side. I always had great skin so this has been very tough for me. I think I'm going to see my dermatologist as my attempts haven't cleared it up enough for my liking. Could it be that the Proactiv just isn't working for me? Or am I starting with adult acne? I stopped extensive makeup usage and was only using Bare Minerals on my skin. I've heard this could both help and hurt acne issues. Not sure what to use or what my next steps should be to resolve this. Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

dv8er HB User
Re: Acne help please!!

hi! what was the oral med your sister had you take?

Old 03-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
(female)

Forbes88 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8er View Post
hi! what was the oral med your sister had you take?
Doxycycline

Old 03-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

dv8er HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes88 View Post
Doxycycline
hi forbes,

i'm so sorry about the passing of your brother.

were you taking any other meds during that time, such as birth control, an SSRI, benzo, aleve, anything you can think of? check out the contraindications for doxyclycline use in a web search.

this is just fyi, but if you go to a dermatologist, be weary of accutane. many dermatologists don't even prescribe anymore, as the side effects can be really bad.

it's helpful that you've ended the doxy, now you can gauge what, if any, side effects it may have had. this is just helpful advice, i do it myself - before you start taking any meds, or adding a new med to the mix (if you're taking multiple ones from dif docs), check to see if there are any interactions among them.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-24-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

HI, for what its worth, I too, suffer with cystic acne and have been under the care of a derm for the past ten years...Ive tried every single over the counter remedy, and none of them work for cystic acne.

Im on the same antibiotic, and it does help...but sometimes I still get a breakout.

I will tell you that Proactiv is THE WORST thing for cystic acne for adult skin. A. you dont want to use benzoil peroxxide on adult skin, it will cause scarring and it will not work on cystic acne. You want to stick with salycylic acid products.... as for using Bare Minerals- anything with talc in it, is likely to aggravate an already aggravated condition. Mineral makeup is fabulous, if you dont have sensitive skin and if you arent prone to cysts- HOWEVER if you have sensitive skin like I do- it will break you out for sure.

Best makeup for cystic acne? Clinique Acne solutions- it has salicylic acid in it and helps clear up and prevent new breakouts...

Best cleanser for cystic skin? In my opinion - anything you can buy thats pharmaceutical grade- my derm has her own product line and when I dont use it, i run into problems....best OTC products I can recommend are either using something incredibly gentle like Cetaphil- nothing in it to aggravate your skin- OR use something like Neutragena cleaners- all of them have 1 or 2% salycylic acid...stay away from Benzoil Peroxide!

Good luck.....and see a dermatologist. I did have laser surgery, IPL- it was expensive but for 3 years managed to stay clear..unfortunately, it doesnt last forever, however Im going to have it done again in April.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
(female)

mmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB User

Hi, glad you will be seeing a dermatologist. If he/she suggests accutane, listen! Yes it has possible severe side effects, but you would be taking it under a MD's supervision. And you don't want anymore scarring. For soap try Purpose by Johnson & Johnson. Wash gently with finger tips & use water based makeup.

Closed Thread

Tags
acne, skincare