It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
(female)

jrsanchez HB User
Nurse called back and I'm mad!!!

Ok so i called the dr's office and they said an on call dr would call me back...Well a nurse called and said that they got my test results and the dr signed off on them..I asked her what do you mean and she said well he said they were ok and i told her ya but i had 8 abnormal's on that lab work one being for my thyroid and she said ya but you have to understand you being pregnant can cause these to be off..Ok but why do blood work if your not going to care if it comes out abnormal...I'm confused, I just dont get it.... So she said she would talk to the dr again and would call back if he saw something wrong and wanted to see me before the two weeks but that he had just seen them and said they were all fine..Just to remind you they say my TSH is normal at 2.1 but that my Free T4 is low at 0.49..Everything i've read on the net says that someone with a low Free T4 and a TSH of over 2 could feel symptoms of hypothyroidism. So i just dont know do i listen to the Dr. and act like it's nothing or go to another dr and get a 2nd opinion??..mind you he's only my OB dr. and i can see a regular physician as well..

thanks
Jessica

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
Re: Nurse called back and I'm mad!!!

hi

you might want to get a second opinion if you're having symptoms and abnormal levels and your doc isnt doing anything about it.

i'm not pregnant so i dont know if that can affect your t levels or not.

my t levels are on the low end of 'normal' ranges, i'm still feeling poorly, and my doc isnt increasing my meds so i'm seeing yet another doc. my tsh is over 3.

good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2006, 03:08 PM   #3
(female)

robinhy HB User

2ND OPINION. Also, do some research, library or net. Very few poeple on this site (and doctors as well) have experience with hypoT + being pregnant. But you should take this seriously (as others have said).

The Following User Says Thank You to robinhy For This Useful Post:
mchavers1 (01-23-2011)
Old 01-20-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

Do you have a primary care physician? If so talk to them. However, in today litigous society especially with OB Drs. I think he would be in a postion to know about pregnancy and thyroid. It can never hurt to get a second opinion as you don't need stress now.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:34 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

Get another opinion because they are also putting your pregnancy at risk by letting you be hypo. Your baby can develop thyroid problems...........and after delivery you can hit rock bottom as many women do after the pregnancy ends.

Keep pushing you have the right to proper treatment and it is obvious that ANY health care professional that thinks a tsh of 2.1 is "normal" is not up to par.

Karen

Old 01-20-2006, 11:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

The range for TSH is .40 - 5.50 I am looking at it on the blood work report. 2.1 would then be normal. The Tfree range is 0.8 - 1.8. I don't think a ob Dr. would risk your health or the babies but there is no reason not to get a second opinion. 2.1 is normal for a TSH. Im fact it is right in the middle which is where it should be. The question is in relation to the Tfree. I am normal on the Tfree but off the charts on my last TSH so dosage has been upped.

Old 01-21-2006, 12:09 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

beabonnet HB User

Btw, how far along are you? From what I've read, up to about 26 weeks, the fetus is dependent on the mother's thyroid to some degree (totally dependent at first with lessening dependence as the fetus develops). After about 26 weeks, the fetus has it's own functioning thyroid, but based upon this article I'm attaching below, there seems to still be some thyroid hormones going from the mother to fetus after that.

You might want to take a look at this link. It's a pretty technical article and you have to skip through some sections that aren't applicable to hypothyroid. But, if you check it out all the way to the bottom, there's interesting information.

[url]http://www.endotext.org/female/female14/female14.htm[/url]

Some of your other lab numbers could well be ok because they might not take into account that you're pregnant. For instance, sodium measurements in a women's blood will decrease with pregnancy. I think that's because of an increase in blood volume. But, I don't know if the decrease takes you to the bottom of the range or if it's normal to go below range.

One thing you might also want to keep in mind is that OBs are notoriously scared of malpractice suits. All doctors are. But OBs are even more so. If you start mentioning concerns about the thyroid tests and how it might affect your child, it might encourage the OB to make a referral to an endo. You could be ok, for instance, perhaps there was a lab error. But, a second opinion by an endo could either lead to treatment or peace of mind that you're ok.

Old 01-21-2006, 03:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you have lost faith in this dr. you need to get another Dr. as you need to be completely comfortable with him during your pregnancy. Seems to me an OB Dr. runs into this enought to know if there is a problem or not. They are going to risk a lawsuit over a thyroid test.

Old 01-21-2006, 04:36 PM   #9
(female)

MCKMN HB User

I agree, get another opinion, and also call and request a copy of the labs and there results! That way YOU can see them as well. Good Luck sweetie, andI so feel your frustration with Dr's *hugs *
Missy

Old 01-21-2006, 06:09 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

2.1 is not normal for TSH
Those ranges for TSH are antiquated and wrong!
Most people feel best when their TSH is around 1.0
Non-hypothyroid people have a TSH around 1.0!

Old 01-21-2006, 11:16 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am looking at the report on the last 2 blood tests. One from the hospital and one from Quest Diagnositics. The TSH range is .40 - 5.50. Where do you get your figures? I have an endocrinologist and a pulmonologist who also specializes in thyroid disorders. They both monitor my thyroid. These are not antiquated figures. They are both within 6 months. I don't know any Dr. that would give a thyroid supplement with the figures you are talking about. Where do you get your information from? A 1.o would be on the low end and more close to hyperthyroid than hypothryroid. Give me a site to substantiate it. Quest is the largest Diagnostic company in the USA and I am sure if there was a change they would be aware of it.

Old 01-22-2006, 05:11 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

beabonnet HB User

Quest Diagnostics uses the following for T4, Free Direct for Pregnancy

1st Trimester .7 to 2.0
2nd & 3rd .5 to 1.6

Old 01-22-2006, 05:34 AM   #13
(female)

Kalli5793 HB User

My blood work is done by Quest also. And I see the same ranges that you have, Canyondweller. However, my Endo doc wants me to get the 1.0 for TSH because he knows I'll be feeling even better.

It just sounds like that might be the area most feel better, from what my doc says and from what those who are here and more knowlegable than me.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #14
(female)

jrsanchez HB User
Post Re: Nurse called back and I'm mad!!!

Thank you for all the replies..I will be 30 weeks tomorrow on monday (1-23-06).. A little background on me is that i know Dr's dont like to risk lawsuits but i have run into a few that obviously dont care sometimes, and dont listen to your concerns until it's to late...I love this OB dr he has been good to me so far but i am just concerned about these test results..When i was 20 years old (back in early 2003) i got sick one day and went to my primary dr told him i was having trouble breathing well he sent me home with cough medicine and said it was nothing well needless to say 2 days later i was in the hospital cause i could hardly breath and 2 days after that i wound up on life support...I was on life support for 2 weeks i was diagnosed with ARDS (acute respritory distress syndrome)...I almost died my parents and husband were getting ready to arrange my funeral cause the dr's said i had a 10% chance of survival. I know that doesn't seem relevent but since i was hospitalized on that i have had repeated abnormal blood work on my liver, kidneys and now my thyroid. except this was the first time my thyroid was checked and only because since i got out of the hospital almost 3 years ago i have been constantly tired, had alot of weight gain got up to 165 lbs last year at 5'3" and had NEVER been over 135 except for my pregnancy's but always lost it. I was also losing alot of hair..so this led my dr to check my thyroid levels they do come back kinda wacky but he says ok they aren't to bad and signs off on them..and they just tell me they dont know why i'm so tired.

I'm sorry this got long i just wanted to explain why i get so irratated with dr's..i see my OB dr on Feb 7 for my 32 week appt and i'm going to tell him to go in depth with me why he thinks these labs are ok and why i shouldn't worry..another thing is that he did a pulmonary function test to see how my lungs are functioning since i had the ARDS and it came back with restrictive lung disease and i was told he signed off on that too...I plan on discussing this with him at my appt..if he sees nothing wrong with any of it then i am going to see a primary dr after all he is only my OB dr.... I'm just trying to do all the research i can on the thyroid results and the restrictive lung disease so i can have questions ready when i go in....Mind you he is a good OB dr but probably just that he may not be up to par on some of these other things...I'm not saying he doesn't know what he's talking about but as others have said sometimes these dr's go by what the lab says and from what i've read the levels aren't accurate.

I have seen on here alot of posters say that most endo's like the TSH at around 1 is that just for the hypothryroid or for the hyperthyroid as well?

OH and someone asked i do have my lab results i went and got them from where my blood was drawn...as well as the copy of the pulmonary function test and i will be taking them with me even though they say he has a copy..

well thank you for listening to me babble and sorry it took so long to post back...I appreciate all the help you guys are giving me....

Jessica

Old 01-22-2006, 01:35 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

You are a lucky girl to have survived ARDS. Very lucky and I can appreciate your concern about your health particulary after that. I have been on a respirator, also, Apparantly there is a lot of talk about the TSH being at 1. If he is a good OB then he should be very knowledgable about thyroid as it can play a big factor in pregnancy. If I had to take enough thyroid meds to get to 1 I would be able to fly to the East coast without a plane. I could never handle that much. As for the restrictive lung disease, as someone with obstructive lung disease I encourage you to see a pulmonologist and check out the many lung forums on the net. There are some great ones. Not allowed to post other sites but you can google them. Good for you Dr. to give you a PFT. Get a copy of that also. Get copies of everything and put them all together to access easily. I hope you get the answers you want soon.

Closed Thread