It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2009, 05:29 AM   #1
(male)

Richardmcfc HB User
Will a CT Scan show Lymphoma/Anything nasty

Hi all.

About a year ago I noticed a small fixed lump in the back of my neck. Went to the GP and was told to monitor it. A couple of months later, I discovered another few lumps in my neck (these were moveable) and noticed that my lymph nodes in my groin on both sides, were enlarged. Decided to go back to a different GP and was referred. I had lots of blood tests done and a CT scan, both of which came back clear. Is there any way that I could still have anything nasty if both showed the all clear. Since I have noticed another few lumps.

Any advice would be appreciated

Rich

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Richardmcfc
etIII (06-29-2011), wilma1939 (10-07-2011)
Old 02-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
(female)

showe0005 HB User
Re: Will a CT Scan show Lymphoma/Anything nasty

My husband had Non Hogkins Lymphoma. He had CT's every 3 months to see if it was back. But when they first discovered it they did tests on the lymph nodes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
(female)

sunni2030 HB User

Hi,
I have Non Hodgkins Lympoma and I had a small lump in my face that traveled back behind my ear and than got huge. I would want any lumps checked. They thought I had something entirely different and didn't get the true results until they did some sort of deep biopsy. In surgery.
I have had chemo twice and probably would have a better outcome if I had gone earlier.
Don't wait.
Sunni
Good Luck !

The Following User Says Thank You to sunni2030 For This Useful Post:
maysee (12-10-2011)
Old 02-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
(female)

memyselfandI9 HB User

Woops, posted twice.

Last edited by memyselfandI9; 02-27-2009 at 02:44 PM.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
(female)

memyselfandI9 HB User

Hi all.

About a year ago I noticed a small fixed lump in the back of my neck. Went to the GP and was told to monitor it. A couple of months later, I discovered another few lumps in my neck (these were moveable) and noticed that my lymph nodes in my groin on both sides, were enlarged. Decided to go back to a different GP and was referred. I had lots of blood tests done and a CT scan, both of which came back clear. Is there any way that I could still have anything nasty if both showed the all clear. Since I have noticed another few lumps.

Any advice would be appreciated

Rich

Well Rich,

I would definatly keep pushing the Doctors. Now a days you have to play a very active role in your health care. Also know and trust your feelings, it saved my life. I had a gut feeling something wasn't right. I am a 2x NHL survivor, and I feel I am because I kept pushing the Doctors for answers. Not to scare you, but both times I had misdiagnosis. Things happen, people make mistakes. I would give the Doctor a call and clarify what he said, because if your lymph nodes were swollen at the time, they would definatly show up on the CT Scan. A common practice is to order the CT Scan with and without contrast, along with a PET Scan, and blood work. That is the most comprehensive way to test for Lymphoma, but more expensive test for the Doctors to do. So they usually choose the least inexpensive test/s, first. Also, Lymphomas are most responsive to treatments when they are in their active stage (growing quickly). So if it is a slow growing type of Lymphoma the Doctors will wait to treat it until it starts growing quickly. Many Cancers can be diagnosed with blood tests alone, but with Lymphoma this is not the case. The 1st time I had NH Lymphoma I had a lump on the back of my head on the R side, that would come and go for about 6 months, then in a matter of about 3 weeks, it tripled its size, and 3 additional lumps appeared on my head and neck area. And the second time I had NHL it was 5 years later in my R side groin. I had a mixed cell Lymphoma, where 50% of the matter in the cells was and indolent/slow growing and 50% was agressive/fast growing. Thus explaining the behavior of the lumps appearing. There are hundreds of lymph nodes throughout your body and if you have a serious infection you can also have swelling in many lymph nodes, not always a sign of Cancer. Hope this helps.

Last edited by memyselfandI9; 02-27-2009 at 02:45 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to memyselfandI9 For This Useful Post:
ChickenNugget (09-28-2012)
Old 02-27-2009, 03:26 AM   #6
(female)

showe0005 HB User

My husband had NHL and went through 6 rounds on CHOP chemo. Finished his last round of chemo June 2006. May 2008 we learned it was back and he would need a bone marrow transplant. He went through all the tests and was able to use his own bone marrow for the transplant. Ausust of 2008 after months of consoldation chemo he received his bone marrow transplant. Really seemed to be doing fine until around the forst of Nov. 2008 went everything went downhill. He was rushed to the ER with breathing problems. Make a long story short he had developed ARDS (which is damage to the lungs) and was put on life support. He stayed there 4 and ahalf weeks before he passed away. I don't feel we had enough information on the complications of a bone marrow transplant. I know they told us it could be danergous but I really don't think they shared all that could go wrong. My advise to anyone get all the info you can read, ask questions and fine boards like this one to find someone in your sitution to compare notes with. Good luck to any one facing any kind of cancer. I am so sick of that horrible disease. My prayer are with anyone facing cancer.

The following user gives a hug of support to showe0005:
rendea (02-07-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to showe0005 For This Useful Post:
lfoster21 (02-04-2012)
Old 02-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User

i would definately go for a second opinion. a pet scan would be the best test for you, it is accurate. insist, it's your health.

The Following User Says Thank You to fufu For This Useful Post:
ChickenNugget (09-28-2012)
Closed Thread