It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2003, 12:01 PM   #1

kishah HB User
Post ARDS & Pregnancy

I was diagnosed with ARDS a few days after giving birth via c-section. My family was also told that I had a Staph infection. I was in the hospital for 4 weeks. 2 1/2 weeks in a drug induced coma. I had a trach because one of the medications that I received caused an allergic reaction and swelled my tongue and blocked my airway. I wanted to hear from anyone with information on ARDS

Old 03-16-2005, 05:17 PM   #2
(female)

juju17 HB User
Re: ARDS & Pregnancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishah
I was diagnosed with ARDS a few days after giving birth via c-section. My family was also told that I had a Staph infection. I was in the hospital for 4 weeks. 2 1/2 weeks in a drug induced coma. I had a trach because one of the medications that I received caused an allergic reaction and swelled my tongue and blocked my airway. I wanted to hear from anyone with information on ARDS
I TOTALLY WENT THROUGH THE SAME THING I HAD MY DAUGHTER AND WHEN THEY TRIED TO WAKE ME UP THE DOCTOR PUNCTURED MY LUNG CAUSING ME TO HAVE ARDS AND A BLOOD INFECTION AND A TYPE OF PHEMONIA I HAD A TRACH AND WAS HEAVILY SADATED ALSO TO KEEP ME CALM AND FROM WRIPPING THE TUBES OUT. I WAS IN THIS STATE FOR OVER 6 WEEKS I LOST MY LIFE FOR SO LONG AND MY OTHER DAUGHTER COULDNT SEE ME OR VISIT ME IN THE HOSPITAL THE FAMILY SAID IT WOULD BE TO MUCH FOR HER TO SEE ME THAT WAY. I CANT QUOTE ON ANY LITERATURE OF ARDS BUT I HAD MY FAMILY DO SOME RESEARCH AND THEY PRINTED SOME STUFF FROM A SITE I CAN GET THE LINK FOR U AND U CAN READ UP ON IT . I DO KNOW THAT U NEVER FULLY RECOVER FROM IT AND I DO KNOW YOUR NEVER FEELING 100% ITS A REALLY BAD THIGN TO GO THROUGH . I SUFFER EVERYDAY WITH MENTAL TRAMA FROM BEING IN THE HOSPITAL WHEN I FINALLY WOKE UP IT WAS NOT EASY TO SEE MYSELF LIKE THAT. WHILE I SLEPT I WENT THROUGH SOME MAJOR NIGHTMARES AND THEY STILL HAUNT ME TILL THIS DAY ITS ONLY BEEN A LIL OVER A YEAR AND I STILL CRY AT THE THOUGHT . I WILL LEND ANY SUPPORT THAT I CAN AND VISEVERSA.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2005, 04:16 PM   #3
(male)

larob HB User

i survived ards and it will be 4 years in may for myself. i got a staph infection from a cortisone injection that lead to septic shock and a 3 month stay at the hospital. i had all it all two collaspe lungs with hole in one , trach, coma, life support and dialaysis etc. i have come a long way but never like i was before, lung congestion and fatigue problems and blood clots still in legs and some emotional problems and i just deal with it the best i can. everyone is different and recovery isn"t the same for everyone, so the best to you rob

Old 03-22-2005, 03:35 AM   #4
(female)

juju17 HB User

id like to know since its been 4 years for u now since getting ards i had or have it to i got it in 2003 and i to get fatigue, have emotional probs and such but i do have a question. did u suffer rib pain because i had my right lung punctured and just now i am recently getting some discomfort (pain) i mean its tolerable but very uncomfortable. will i ever get over this or will i always experience some sort of pain now and then. this is all new for me ans daily i worry what will happ to me next. my mom wanted em to talk to a shrink for emotional support but i dont think i need it thats why im on here to talk with people who have the same thing as i do. anything u can tell me will be a big help. thanks

Old 03-22-2005, 08:47 AM   #5
(male)

larob HB User
Smile Re: ARDS & Pregnancy

yes i still get pain in my rib cage area, my neuro doc says it the nerve damage i suffered and my pulimonary doc said because i had two hole put through my rib cage and the scar tissue still in my lungs and i had a hole in one lung so the scar tissue is greater in that one. i sometimes have difficulty sleeping on one side where i put pressure on my rib cage and lungs and discomfort and i continue to move around in bed to get the right mix. the fatigue comes from the lung compacity being decrease in my case around 65 to 70% and the exchange of blood and oxygen not being where it should. i walk allot with my dog if weather is good or the thread mill if not. i do get lazy sometimes and have to push myself. i do get imotional and depress sometimes but try to work my way out with good thoughts and how much better it is to be alive. i never went the phyco way but nothing against those who do, i take zoloft 100mg a day rx by my primary doc. i did go through a 8 week evualation from physiologist at the recomendation from my family earily on to see what emotional problems i had from all of this and any brain damage accessment. i hope this helps some and ask me anything, i felt i have see it all and what life will be in the future, stay positive and listen to others take care rob

Closed Thread