HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acute-respiratory-distress-syndrome-ards/)
-   -   nerve damage (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acute-respiratory-distress-syndrome-ards/75650-nerve-damage.html)

robram4 02-11-2002 11:47 AM

nerve damage

i have nerve damage from the results of sepsis and ards and been told by my neurologist it will take 1 inch a month to heal, which in my case about 2 to 3 years. i was wondering if their is anything out their that could speed up the recovery period. thanks for any suggestions.

tmonkey52000 02-21-2002 05:14 PM

I had severe nerve damage to my hip which the dr. told me would heal at about one centimeter a month. The only thing that helped me was a tens unit. I believe it probably saved my life as I surely would have killed myself if something wasn't done to ease the pain. Hope you are feeling better!
Timmye

robram4 02-22-2002 05:58 PM

HI TIMMYE;

Thanks for your reply, i hope all is well with you. I have nerve damage in both arms and legs and two bloods clots one in each leg, which i take coumadin for. I try to stay away from any pain medication if i can help, because of all the drugs i:m taking now. The pain i get is more of a discomfort, i have trouble sleeping some nights because of the pain in my legs. I have a aching feeling in my legs, if you touch then it is like pins and needles feeling, in my arms ach and my hands freeze up in the morning and i have work on them to open and close my hands and will also freeze up if i don;t use them in awhile during the day and really hurt doing so. I not familair with the term tens unit, maybe you could help me on that.

take care and good luck! ROB

------------------

smithm 04-16-2002 07:53 PM

Please realize that the inch per month regrowth issue isn't guaranteed. Nerves will try to regrow but they can't always. If they are successful, than the estimate you received is correct. If they can't, then little can be done. I am hoping for regrowth!

brfnewsman 05-04-2002 06:11 PM

[By any chance is your Pn a result of diabetes? I was told byseveral nurses and a Dr that Pn nerves do regenerate..but it takes a while..It is sometimes hard for me to work..and I found out from a disability attorney that PN can qualify for social security disability...it may be hard...rsvp please

robram4 05-05-2002 05:09 PM

no, i got nerve damage from all the complicationsfrom sepsis and ards of whichn im almost died, spent 3 months in the hospital and recovering at home. i got staph aureous infection from a cortizone injection for a rotator cuff injury. i presently trying to prove i got the staph aureous
from my orthro doctor, which i know i did.

------------------

nanna02 06-13-2002 05:52 AM

Hi there Robram4
I see no one has replied to your question about the TENS Unit.. It is a little machine which Physiotherapists can give you to help ease the pain.. it is held against the skin on the area which is painful and sends little "currents" deep into the pain..
I don't know exactly how it works; but I'm sure you must have received some type of relief by now, as it's been a while since you posted your message?.. Hope this might help someone anyway..
ask Dr about a TENS machine .. or physio.. Good luck.. belle :)

------------------
A Friend!

robram4 07-24-2002 06:33 PM

i am taking evavel 10mgs at night to help me sleep when the pain is the strongest. the doctor said there is no cure, just time will heal as much as possible. thanks for your suggestions. rob

------------------