It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2002, 07:05 PM   #1

DottieDanger HB User
Ativan vs. Xanax....anyone??

Could anyone who has used both shed some light on which is perferable for them to treat GAD and panic. I have used Xanax in the past, but the Doc is suggesting Ativan now. Thanks for feedback.

Old 01-20-2002, 04:06 AM   #2

TheePlumber HB User
Re: Ativan vs. Xanax....anyone??

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DottieDanger:
<B>Could anyone who has used both shed some light on which is perferable for them to treat GAD and panic. I have used Xanax in the past, but the Doc is suggesting Ativan now. Thanks for feedback. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dottie, In the beginning of 2001 I had open heart surgery. I was so depressed, and also took panic attacks. Well the doctor gave me Ativan, and it seems to be working well for me. I only take it as needed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2002, 07:19 AM   #3
Unregistered

The really isn't much difference. The sleepy feeling you get from these drugs may be a bit less with Ativan.

Old 01-21-2002, 07:52 PM   #4

starr HB User

I take 4 1.0 ativan a day, sometimes less, sometimes more. It has worked well for me. I still have just as much motivation as I ever had, I can go to the gym work out for an hour and a half, do my housework, take care of children, and also study college courses, and pass them. I came off antidepressants a year ago, and have stuck with ativan ever since. I know there will be a time when I will wean off them, done it with paxil, (not so easy), but right now, mostly caused from external events, I am sometimes, not living my life, because I am worrying about the past and worrying about the future. I am going to get psycotherapy, hypnotherapy for anxiety, soon, the power of suggestion in your subconcious. Worked for me to stop smoking, and it can work for GAD, hypochondria and panic too!!(I have all 3) I finally feel the light at the end of the tunnel! So, for all of you that believe benzos are soo dangerous, try taking other meds that haven't been around that long, that affect the chemicals in your brain, and that may also affect organs in your body, then tell me all the huff about benzos. They've been used for yrs, they are safe, and no more addicting than effexor, paxil etc, just a bit different in their withdrawal symptoms. See, there are some positives!!! Just gotta have an open mind and see what works for you. Good luck to all Wendy

Old 02-10-2002, 12:05 PM   #5

MagicDragon1975 HB User

I have taken Ativan, and it worked good for me. I was sleepy for about a week, and after that it wore off. My sister is on Xanax, and was put on Ativan because her Dr. said it was the Xanax is too hard to get off of versus Ativan.

Old 02-10-2002, 02:59 PM   #6

Mr.Walking Panic Attack HB User

Xanax is bad news the more you use the more it takes to keep the attacks at bay. I use Zoloft and found it works great look into it.

Old 02-10-2002, 05:40 PM   #7

DottieDanger HB User

Thank you everyone. The Dr. and I decided to stick with the xanax afterall.

I have tried all forms of antidepressants, and they don't work for me....I've had severe reactions to them. I know the dangers of addiction to xanax, but it's worth it to me to be able to live (rather than be cooped up in a darkened room, feeling like I'm going to die every day of my life).

Old 02-11-2002, 01:52 PM   #8

robram4 HB User

i take xanax for my anxiety attacks and works great for me. i spent 3 months in the hospital with ards and sepsis and went through some bad times and help greatly in and home from the hospital. signed; rob

Old 02-12-2002, 06:08 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

bride527 HB User

I take .25mg of XANAX when I absolutely have to. Never a problem.It works fast and I don't get sleepy. It just takes that "edge" off. The best part about it is that you can take it only when you need it..Works for me..I don't worry about addiction, I don't take it that often...,bride527

Closed Thread