It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
(male)

techguy HB User
Hyperventilating with breathing rate 60/minute

Hi,

My blood pressure is normal (119/81) and heart rate is usually 65-70/minute.

I don't feel stressed but my breathing rate is about the same as my heart rate. It is like this all the time, even when I sleep. Sometimes when I wake up I notice my breathing rate seems to be twice as high at 120/minute. My chest gets overheated, needless to say, and I can't sleep without a cooling pad on it (opposite of hot water bottle).

My lung capacity was tested and it's normal. I have never smoked. Regular bloodwork tests show everything is normal.

I recently learned about the problems with blood oxygen levels and blood carbon dioxide levels.

I read that hyperventilation can cause lightheadedness or fainting, and a drop in blood pressure. But I haven't fainted and don't feel lightheaded, and like I said, my BP is normal.

My doctor is stumped.

What kind of tests could be done to explain the hyperventilation? I don't see any other health problems but what are the risks of such high chronic hyperventilation?

Old 12-25-2010, 05:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Re: Hyperventilating with breathing rate 60/minute

Your breathing rate and hyperventilation are two totally different things. I get a fast pounding pulse off and on and it never brings on hyperventilation. Hyperventilation is overbreathing, breathing faster, rapid breathing, not your pulse going faster. I think my hyperventilation attacks are part of my anxiety. Started when I was 17, used to get cussed out by my boyfriend, and I'd go into an attack of having trouble breathing, my body would get numb, muscles get stiff and fingers would crinkle up, and it was very painful. Still have the hyperventilation problems to today but not quite so bad, I only get chest tightness with it now. When I was younger, caffeine would really aggitate this issue, do you drink caffeine? That can cause the heart palpitations too. I'd get my thyroids checked and an EKG done, if that's normal, I wouldn't worry about the pulse issue, most of the time, it's nothing serious to worry about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2010, 06:03 AM   #3
(female)

DDD Sara HB UserDDD Sara HB UserDDD Sara HB User

Tech guy Sounds like you need to have a sleep study done to monitor your respirations and breathing while asleep so your Dr. should order this for you. Chronic hyperventilation can actually change your blood alkaline levels to alkalosis. Drink water and sip on it through the day and do some relaxation breathing slow and deep to help you slow your breathing down. Do you have anxiety? Your Dr could give you meds to help slow the breathing down by medications. I used to have panic attacks and hyperventilated and took serax to help calm me down. Best wishes. Sara

This is not medical advice and only your Dr. can help you.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
(female)

ladybug86 HB User

hyperventilation is not quite the same thing as breathing fast. it has to do with the oxygen demands of your body. in hyperventilation you are breathing too rapidly and losing more CO2 than your body wants hence the lightheadedness. if your breathing is that fast and you aren't getting lightheaded, it is possible your body is triggering you to breathe that fast due to an imbalance in your body. it can be low oxygen levels. it can also be a metabolic imbalance, one of the ways the human body tries to compensate for that is breathing off co2. did your doctor check ABGs? that test shows your blood ph, oxygen, carbon dioxide etc.

Closed Thread