It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
(female)

linka HB User
I was sent home from ER and developed ARDS at home

How is it common for a hospital to send a patient with Pneumonia home and with high fever. They reduced my fever in ER and wrote in report "Improving". I got home my fever came back eve greater at 103.8 and then I was out of breath. My mother insisted for me to go to another hospital's ER. I went to another ER and was diagnosed upon arrival with severe H1N1 + ARDS. Spent in ICU 2 freaking months.

How could one hospital send a patient home with such severe pneumonia that was complicated by ARDS? That just puzzles me.....

The following user gives a hug of support to linka:
MountainReader (04-24-2011)
Old 05-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
(female)

AngelJoanne HB User
Re: I was sent home from ER and developed ARDS at home

I honestly don't understand hospitals sometimes. I was told their goal is to treat you and get you out. They told me they are not there to diagnose what the problem is but to rule out life threatening things. This past year I have been taken to the Er by ambulance because my oxgen levels dropped. Since it was back to 100% once I was there with oxygen and the xray did not show a blood clot I was sent back home. I kept telling them it drops as I walk and that is when I got the answer above from them.

Several years a go I went to the ER for chest pains and was sent home. Since my EKG was fine they felt I was. I got home and it got increasing worse so I went to another ER and they kept me for two days. I had a cardiac cauth done too. Its things like sending people home when they shouldn't be that scares me. I am sure you lost your trust too afte your incident.

How are you feeling now?

Joanne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User
Re: I was sent home from ER and developed ARDS at home

We tend to think of ER as where we go see a doctor who will manage our health issues. But our personal physician is in that position, not the emergency room personnel. They did their job which is to stabilize you.

The emergency room is to get us out of an emergency situation. Once we are released we are responsible to notify our own doctor so he can follow up and hopefully another trip to the ER can be prevented.

So, before you contacted your doctor your fever shot back up and you went to another ER. Had you gone back to the previous ER it is likely they would have treated you the same as the second ER.

When we discover we have a chronic problem we need to have regular interaction and testing through our private phsyician. Even then it won't always prevent a need to go to ER, where we will be treated for immediate life threatening problems and released, where we are then again responsible to report it all to our own doctor.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-01-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Closed Thread