It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
(female)

dusky blue HB Userdusky blue HB User
Emphysema

I am watching my cousin in law dying a slow death from copd (emphysema) for the last 3 yrs. He is gone from an active,outdoor lover,river fisherman, to an old man who stays indoors with oxygen tanks, afraid to go anywhere. He is 69yrs.! He's had several bouts of pneumonia in the last 6 months. He's had a lifetime of smoking 50-60cigs a day. I know he's just biding his time, waiting to go. As much as possible has been done for him. It's very tough for his family & for him. He's off the fags this last 3 months, too late I'm afraid. He gets these panic attacks & will call us anytime in 24 hrs.. This & the worry is wearing both my husband & me down. It's a terrible thing to say but I wish God or whatever..would take him out of his msery

Old 05-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
(female)

stasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB User
Re: Emphysema

I smoke too though I'm way more moderate in my habit. But your post makes me think- even though I'm certainly aware of the dangers of smoking. Wish your family and you strength.

Last edited by stasis4; 05-23-2012 at 03:45 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to stasis4 For This Useful Post:
dusky blue (05-13-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
(female)

Thank you Stasis. He's just about ok at the present time, due to another course of prednisolone which makes him feel good for 3-4 days. I hope my husband never has to go through again what he did when his cousin got his last attack of pneumonia He's a really nice guy, but can get very cranky & demanding at times ( understandable I guess). Thank you for wishing us strength, we are sure going to need it. All the best! Margie

Old 02-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusky blue View Post
Thank you Stasis. He's just about ok at the present time, due to another course of prednisolone which makes him feel good for 3-4 days. I hope my husband never has to go through again what he did when his cousin got his last attack of pneumonia He's a really nice guy, but can get very cranky & demanding at times ( understandable I guess). Thank you for wishing us strength, we are sure going to need it. All the best! Margie

Old 05-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
(female)

Update on the cousin in law. He is living a miserable existence for the last 6 months. The steroids have made his bones so brittle, even tho he takes calcium supplements. He got into a hospice by default cos death seemed imminent at the time. That was 3 months ago. Now he's in constant pain & is dosed up on Oramorph. Pure O2 24 hrs, his nose seems to get blocked sometimes which adds to his anxiety. He has no family, just my husband & me

Reply Reply