It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
(female)

sleeplessinky HB User
COPD shows up on Chest X-Ray

I had a chest x-ray before having a medical procedure. I was told the X-ray showed I had COPD. I have no symptoms of COPD....no cough, no shortness of breath, no wheezing. I haven't smoked in 30 years but was a heavy smoker until then. Could the x-ray results be a false positive, or what?

Thank you.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User
Re: COPD shows up on Chest X-Ray

Hi -Yes. I have also had signs of COPD show up on an x-ray and was also told my a pulmonologist that my lungs have suffered because of my past history of cigarette smoking. did you ever have a "cigarette cough", which was what I was always told a cough of a smoker was? I had a terrible cough which totally disappeared the week after I stopped smoking. However, I did not realize that damage had already been done to my bronchial tubes. I had been told by many doctors that I was "allergic" to cigarettes and should stop smoking; but I was young and didn't pay any attention to these warnings, sadly.
Just because COPD showed up on your x-ray doesn't mean that it is severe - or so I was told. But it does mean that you have to be very careful about being around polluted air, etc.; and also, it cannot be cured but won't necessarily get to the point of needing oxygen. I also have sleep apnea, and my doctor has said that I may have to wear a nasal cannula for delivering oxygen at night. If you don't have shortness of breath while walking or exercising then you probably have a very mild case of COPD. Have you talked to your doctor about your x-ray results? Mabent

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
(female)

sleeplessinky HB User

Mabent---Thanks for your reply. I have discussed the findings with my doctor and she modified the report stating that it said that I had hyperinflated lungs which was consistent with COPD.....that I don't actually have COPD.
Like in your case, she said that my past history of smoking was the cause of the lungs being hyperinflated. I haven't smoked in 30 years but the damage was already done. Luckily, it didn't materialize to COPD. At this point I don't have anything to worry about, but I too have sleep apnea. I'm terrible about using the CPAP because I can't sleep with the mask on.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User

Hi - It seems that our situations are very much alike! My chest x-ray results also said that I had "hyper-inflated lungs consistent with COPD." I just assumed that meant that I had COPD. I had to have the x-ray in preparation
for an operation to remove a large thyroid nodule (benign) removed.
While in the hospital I learned that I had sleep apnea and was seen by a pulmonologist there. As I said, like you, I had no cough and had been fine ever since quitting smoking almost 40 years ago. I am trying to get used to the CPAP mask and am also having problems with it, especially with air leaking from it! Good luck to both of us on that!!! How long have you had sleep apnea (or is that for another Board?) Well, I'm happy for you that you don't have COPD!! I'm sure that if we had continued to smoke, we would be much worse off to say the least! Mabent

Old 06-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
(female)

sleeplessinky HB User

That's really interesting about your chest x-ray. I too had the x-ray before a procedure---a bladder cystoscopy. I didn't know what all of that meant either before I saw my doctor. I thought it said that I had COPD and my main concern was what the radiologist saw that he thought was COPD. It's weird that so many years after quitting smoking that the lungs would still show adverse signs.
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 8 or 9 months ago. For me, the worst thing about it is that I also have insomnia. The CPAP aggravated the insomnia to the point that I didn't sleep at all. Needless to say I'm no using it now.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
(male)

hurricanee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplessinky View Post
That's really interesting about your chest x-ray. I too had the x-ray before a procedure---a bladder cystoscopy. I didn't know what all of that meant either before I saw my doctor. I thought it said that I had COPD and my main concern was what the radiologist saw that he thought was COPD. It's weird that so many years after quitting smoking that the lungs would still show adverse signs.
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 8 or 9 months ago. For me, the worst thing about it is that I also have insomnia. The CPAP aggravated the insomnia to the point that I didn't sleep at all. Needless to say I'm no using it now.

Once you have COPD, you have it for life regardless of weither you give up ciggs or not. Ciggarettes damage the bronchioles and this damage is irreversable.

Closed Thread