It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
(female)

Janettec HB User
Question Stiff Joints and now Stiff feet

Hi, I suffered from end stage emphysema/COPD. Luckily, I received a double lung transplant and survived the disease. During my illness, I was on extremely high doses of prednisone at times - and was on a continuing dose for 6 years. I am now on 5 mg per day for the rest of my life. To counteract the loss of calcium and bone damage, I received zometa infusions for 2 years. I also take Tacrolimus, bactrim, magnesium tablets, vitamin d, calcium, mycophenolate(cellcept) and Azithromycin tablets. I have put on a lot of weight since my transplant 3 years ago, 45 kilos in fact - Weight gain is due to a combination of being able to eat solid food again (I was on pureed food for 2 years prior to transplant because I could not breath and eat), Prednisone, anti rejection medications, getting thrown into early menopause after transplant. Unfortunately as I gain weight, I find it more and more difficult to exercise. I find that my joints are stiff and sore and now If I sit for more than half and hour at a time, my feet seem to stiffen up, especially on top of my feet up near the ankle. When I go for walks, my feet constantly ache and I feel like instead of striding, I am wobbling from side to side as my feet do not bend properly at the ankles. This unfortunately makes my hips worse. After I exercise the pain is much worse and the stiffness is worse. I used to think this was because was overweight, I would welcome any suggestions -

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Terlin HB User
Re: Stiff Joints and now Stiff feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janettec View Post
Hi, I suffered from end stage emphysema/COPD. Luckily, I received a double lung transplant and survived the disease. During my illness, I was on extremely high doses of prednisone at times - and was on a continuing dose for 6 years. I am now on 5 mg per day for the rest of my life. To counteract the loss of calcium and bone damage, I received zometa infusions for 2 years. I also take Tacrolimus, bactrim, magnesium tablets, vitamin d, calcium, mycophenolate(cellcept) and Azithromycin tablets. I have put on a lot of weight since my transplant 3 years ago, 45 kilos in fact - Weight gain is due to a combination of being able to eat solid food again (I was on pureed food for 2 years prior to transplant because I could not breath and eat), Prednisone, anti rejection medications, getting thrown into early menopause after transplant. Unfortunately as I gain weight, I find it more and more difficult to exercise. I find that my joints are stiff and sore and now If I sit for more than half and hour at a time, my feet seem to stiffen up, especially on top of my feet up near the ankle. When I go for walks, my feet constantly ache and I feel like instead of striding, I am wobbling from side to side as my feet do not bend properly at the ankles. This unfortunately makes my hips worse. After I exercise the pain is much worse and the stiffness is worse. I used to think this was because was overweight, I would welcome any suggestions -
Maybe you can help me can't exhale smoke is that common with copd it I can't expand my gut to get a full breath

Reply Reply