It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
(male)

marcind4 HB User
Went to Dr. Cant Breathe!

Hi thank you for listening. I am a 30 year old male in fairly good shape. A few days ago I started getting a bad cold... sniffles lots of sneezing some coughing, throat was very itchy eyes itchy, lungs burned when I coughed. I hate going to doctors so I put it off. I finally had enough yesterday and went to the Doc after I developed very loud wheezing. He listened to my chest, asked all questions, I told him I had a tiny streak of blood in the phlegm I coughed up several times. He said I had the beginning stages of bronchitis and that I was wheezing pretty bad. When I was in his office I was still somewhat ok I left his office and went to the hospital to get a chest x-ray per his instructions and right after the x-ray everything went bad. I barely walked to my car. I could barely walk 10 feet without getting winded and can't breathe. He prescribed me with Augmentin, Cheratussin (ceodeine and guaffesin), Advair and Albuterol. I was afraid to go to sleep last night that I would suffocate and not wake up. I was wheezing very bad and it took lots of effort just to breathe in and out. The anxiety from that tensed my muscles even further and it was a very scary feeling. Somehow I slept through the night, this morning I am just slightly better, and am not gasping for air as much when I'm sitting down. My question is should I continue taking the medication he prescribed and wait, or could this be more serious and should I go to the emergency room?

Thanks,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Went to Dr. Cant Breathe!

Absolutely continue with the medications. Sounds like they are already working. Depending on how bad a case of bronchitis you have, it could take a month or more to clear up. And all those meds are exactly what they should be giving you.

Last edited by Titchou; 11-09-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
(male)

marcind4 HB User
Re: Went to Dr. Cant Breathe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Absolutely continue with the medications. Sounds like they are already working. Depending on how bad a case of bronchitis you have, it could take a month or more to clear up. And all those meds are exactly what they should be giving you.
Thanks. The xrays came back clear. I don't understand how Its so difficult to breathe. My blood oxygen n level is low too dips down to 93% but stays average 95 to 96%. I have to work by monday, i just cannot take any more days off. But I cannot even walk up stairs at home without feeling like im suffocating. Is there anything else i could do? Thanks.

Reply Reply