It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2003, 10:21 AM   #1

6re99 HB User
scholarships for ADD ??

I have heard about people getting 'free rides' thru college b/c of ADD. I tested in the highest 97 percentile when my doctor tested me, and I believe I should have some recorse for the 2 semesters of school i took and dropped out of. (first semester in fall 99 dropped out b/c i just couldnt take the load) and second semeseter spring 2002 failed Western Civ [couldnt read 30+ pages in a big book a week] and dropped my english class with 1.5 months left b/c i coudnt sit down and write a full paper would always wait untill the last day and cram a paper down (( doctor called this hyper focus ))] I feel that I should be able to get some kind of refund for those classes .. I DID get a B+ in my Alg. class, for some reason I have ALWAYS been great in math.. i just took to it easier than anything else.. I assumed it was b/c the way you do math, you're always doing something different, you're always 'moving place to place' in your mind so to speak... I never could STUDY for a math test, but i just always took to it REAL easy in lecture class and could remember what we did for the test. HW has always been like a punishment to me.. I would actualy break out in a sweat or get hot and red if i had to sit down for longer than 5-10mins and do something that was 'boring' like read or do repetative actions..

so basicaly my ?> is do any of you know of where i could sign up for scholarships or financial aid based on my ADD..

and while i have you in here, what about getting marks taken off your Credit report? When i moved out with my then fiancee, i ENVER could keep up and pay for my finances. she just always said i was lazy, but after testing high for ADD i realized it was b/c of the ADD that i couldnt keep up with bills and pay them on time.. would i have to get a doctors scripting that I have it to the extent i do and that it is why my finances were so fowled up back then??

thanks and take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2003, 11:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
You cant use ADD as an excuse, and honestly it sounds like you are trying to. If you really are ADD and now you know, all you can do is try to understand yourself better and do things in ways that can help you be more successful in the future. You cant get things taken off of credit reports or be re-embursed for dropping out of school!!! Nobody forced you to drop out, you did that on your own and cannot blame ADD for that. Even if you think ADD factored into it in the end YOU MADE THE CHOICE!

As far as financial aid, just go to the financial aid office at your school and apply for regular financial aid. Search the net to find scholarships for ADDers.

Good Luck

Old 11-18-2003, 01:30 PM   #3

6re99 HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by * Free ~ Spirit *
You cant use ADD as an excuse, and honestly it sounds like you are trying to.
Good Luck

i appologize you took it as such.. but it's not an excuse.. more of a REASON for the troubles i have faced throughout this life. BUt oh what a wonderful world it would be if we could go back to when i was young and then had treatment. but we cant.. so i live with what i have now , and treat it and do what i can WHEN i can.. this DISEASE is hell to be honest.. and people who do not have it, have NO CLUE what it is like to figgit for no reason, to loose keys at the drop of a hat, to misplace money b/c the phone rang and you just threw it down where you were.. Yes, i am guilty of tyring to get the MOST out of this disease.. it has put me in a place I shouldnt be.. back at home and starting college @ age 23.. and yes ADD did this to me.. when you live 22 yrs aflicted with someone as powerful as ADD and you dont know it, it can cause you MUCH PAIN..
take care..

Old 11-18-2003, 07:24 PM   #4

rainonwindow HB User
ADD can have a severe impact on a person's life. I think that often people with milder forms of it cannot comprehend the limitations and difficulties this disorder can cause. There are times it is not only the reason but also the excuse. Do the best you can to put the past in order and to make your future goals more attainable. I wish you the best.

Old 11-18-2003, 07:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

I have VERY SEVERE ADHD actually rain! ADHD is not an excuse to drop out of school!!! I mean don't get me wrong, people do it all the time, BUT if something was that wrong then the person should have saught help earlier. You cannot drop out of classes then ask to be re-embursed simply because you have ADHD, that is ridiculous!!!

Old 11-19-2003, 06:28 PM   #6

rainonwindow HB User
It is quite obvious that for some people ADD wouldn't be an excuse for dropping out of school. However it is a mistake to believe that a such a reality is impossible for someone else. It is important to realize that people vary tremendously in their range and severity of symptoms and that to judge another persons limitations and actions based solely on ones own personal understanding is a mistake.

Last edited by rainonwindow; 11-19-2003 at 06:29 PM.

Old 11-20-2003, 12:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Re: scholarships for ADD ??

Rain........ this conversation is ridiculous. The question was not did ADD contribute to dropping out of school. This person wants to be re-embursed for all the classes that they skipped and ended up dropping out of!!!! There is a BIG difference in asking for support from a mistake than demanding that you think you should get a refund for classes that you quit attending!!!!

Old 11-20-2003, 08:24 AM   #8

Blaana HB User

Concerta is offering scholarships to ADHD kids and I'm sure there are more out there. You can check with the financial aid department of the school you wish to attend. Also, some states have a vocational rehab department that offers aid to people with disabilities, you could check there. They will also help you find a job sometimes.
If you like math, like I do, you might also like computer programming, like I do too. It is like doing math to me and I love working complicated math problems, it seems to help get my thoughts in order. It would also help to ask around about the instructors and try to pick one that will fit your needs. I find that a teacher who is organized in their approach to teaching and also enjoys the subject themselves is best for me. I had a history teacher who gave the most interesting lectures and I could tell that he really enjoyed teaching and loved history, so he made it more interesting. I didn't have to read much at all to pass his tests because I could remember his lectures. And I had an english teacher who allowed us to go to the computer lab to type our in-class essays because she knew that some people just weren't naturally good at spelling, so we could use the spell checker. If you ask around I'm sure that you can find the right classes for you.
As far as the bills go, I have the same problem. I have on-line banking now which really helps. Also, I have a portable file cabinet with labeled folders in it for the mail. When I go through the mail I put them in their specific folder, most of it goes in the trash though. Then I leave the bills out so I'll remember to pay them. After I pay them on-line, I place them in the paid bills folder.
Blaana

Old 11-20-2003, 08:32 AM   #9

6re99 HB User

Free... you totaly misunderstood me.. My mother knows someone who got a full free ride thru college b/c she has ADD.. I didnt 'skip' out on my English class, or skip out on Western Civ. I just COULD NOT muster the strength to sit down for more than 5-10mins and read borring material from a history book. Also, I could not take the allotted 1-2 weeks to complete a paper for English Comp.. I worked best, and only, when the material HAD to be done. I would sit down, the day the assignment was due, take 45-60mins and write my paper, granted it was a C paper, but i missed one assignment b/c it was a take home assignment over nite, and i had forgotten to do it. The teacher told us that if we had missed even one assignment, it maybe a good idea to drop the class.. So i did. .. I made a B+ in my Alg class, yet never did a lick of homeowrk...

My history class i just couldnt take in the reading assignments.. i would start to sweat and get all hot if i had to sit down for more that 5mins and read something.. Im not an idiot .. i just couldnt do that kinda work at the time.. now im medicated, and its like im a whole new person

//blaana..

I went to school before for Computer NEtworking.. but htat field is so full now.. Im going into Comp Sci actually tha;nks for the reply.. and i just want you guys to know im not tring to get by on nothing.. i just feel as if i need to examine ALL possible resources i can..

Last edited by 6re99; 11-20-2003 at 08:38 AM.

Old 11-20-2003, 06:19 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

Well Im happy that you are able to function better now but you still cant go asking to be re-embursed for past mistakes. A free ride because of ADD huh. well when you find out how let me know too. I am in college and I know many other people who are and who are ADD and they sure don't get a free ride. Did she have other learning disabilities possibly? You really shouldnt look for a free ride even if you can get one. It's just not right, you are obviously intelligent and capable. You need to work hard just like everyone else does. You yourself said that with your medication you are able to function... so do it.

P.S.
Have you filled out the FAFSA?

Old 11-21-2003, 02:45 PM   #11

6re99 HB User

being able to 'function' is such a broad word.. yes, wheni take my amphets i can focus more on one subject and the 'ever changing stations in my head' seem to cease, but I cant go on taking speed my whole life.. I appreciate your responces and they have been filed..

and yes i filed that that other week..
and my theory with the re-imbursement.. if I find that I am going to get scholarships, I believe it would only be fair since I wasn't diagnosed correctly by a professional at age 8,that I should have some kind of credit applied for that situation.. same concept behind if you go and have your applc fixed adn your wife bought a srvc contract on the appl and you didnt know, went and paid for srvc and then noticed the contract, usualy the company will issue a Good Will to you and reimburse you for your $$ you are out.. same concept here..

i just think funny i guess..

Closed Thread