It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2003, 05:39 PM   #1
Inactive

Palms1 HB User
L-Theanine - useful for ADHD and Anxiety?

I have read about a very interesting approach that seems to be helpful with ADHD/Anxiety symptoms. It's called L-Theanine. It is a unique amino acid found almost exclusively in the tea plant (Camellia sinensis) and is the primary ingredient contributing to the unusual taste of green tea.

Animal studies have shown that L-theanine crosses the blood brain barrier, increases dopamine and GABA levels in the brain, and inhibits the stimulatory properties of caffeine. Human studies have shown that taking L-theanine results in the emission of brain waves associated with a state of relaxation. In Japan, L-Theanine is added to soft drinks and chewing gums. It is recommended for use in adults and children over age 8. It is said to have a calming effect without drowsiness and I've read that people were able to get off their anti-depressants due to the positive effects of L-Theanine.

Old 11-18-2003, 09:26 PM   #2
Inactive

Palms1 HB User
This following question was in reference to another person's post. That post has been deleted by someone. The person stated she tried L-Theanine, but it made her drowsy.

Have you taken the 100 mg or 200 mg capsules? I've been reading they even come in 50 mg. Maybe your dose was too high (and maybe that's what caused the drowsiness?)

Last edited by Palms1; 12-16-2003 at 09:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2003, 11:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User
Re: L-Theanine - useful for ADHD and Anxiety?

I am so glad I found this post! Ithink my 17 year old daughter has ADD (please read my previous post PLEASE HELP MY DAUGHTER) I prefer natural medications if at all possible. My local health food store recommended L-Theanine, but she said to take it with the following supplements:
Phosphatidylserine
DMAE
Taurine
N-acetylcysteine
She said the L-Theanine alone will cause drowsiness and the combined supplements above are all in one formula, but I don't recall the name of it. A lot of people use it instead of ritalin. I think we may try it. She also said fish oils were great.

Old 11-20-2003, 03:44 PM   #4

szarkam HB User

Thanks for the info, I thought the L-Theanine sounded a bit harsh alone, but my concern is that mny daughter is only 6.5 - do you think it is safe for her?

Old 11-20-2003, 06:04 PM   #5
Inactive

Palms1 HB User

I have gathered a bit more info on L-theanine and would like to share it with those interested in this approach. L-theanine has just recently been introduced to the U.S. market. Japan is credited with most of the clinical studies and information we possess thus far on L-theanine but research is ongoing. In a study done in 1999 at the University of Shizuoka in Japan, several unique properties of L-theanine were found. The research demonstrated that in addition to facilitating relaxation, L-theanine may benefit learning performance, mental clarity, concentration, and immunity. And, unlike tranquilizing drugs, it doesn’t interfere with the ability to think. Studies on rodents show just the opposite: theanine enhances the ability to learn and remember. By shutting down the “worry” mode, theanine increases concentration and focuses thought. It has also been used with great effectiveness to relief premenstrual syndrome. Effects should be noticable 40 minutes after taking the capsule. It can be taken on a full or empty stomach; capsule can also be opened and poured into a drink. L-theanine is extremely safe. There are no dietary limits on L-theanine intake by the Japan Food Additive Association. In 1964, the Japanese Ministry of Health and Welfare approved L-theanine for unlimited use in all foods, with the exception of infant foods.

People under stress can mitigate many of the harmful effects of stress with L-theanine without becoming sedated in the process.

L-theanine doesn't make one drowsy, nor does it promote sleep because this amino acid does not produce theta waves in the brain.

It should be noted that if an individual were already relaxed, taking L-theanine would not produce further relaxation.

Last edited by Palms1; 11-20-2003 at 08:45 PM.

Old 11-21-2003, 04:59 AM   #6

szarkam HB User

I have a parent / teacher conf. today. We are going for another set of bloodwork next week.

We are still doing the becalm'd at this point, I am going to wait till the bloodwork comes back. I know she is anemic so I want to see what we are going to do about that before I add any other supplements at this point.

Old 11-23-2003, 03:07 PM   #7
Inactive

Palms1 HB User

Sea Buddies Concentrate

Old 11-23-2003, 03:12 PM   #8

szarkam HB User

Good News at the conf. The teachre said she sees a slight improvement in some of the behavior - I was SO happy - that is after about 2 weeks on the becalm'd - it made my weekend. :-)

Old 11-27-2003, 08:26 AM   #9

szarkam HB User

Thanks, I really appreciate everyones support

Old 12-11-2003, 12:39 PM   #10

rphulsey HB User

I am new to this site and glad that I found it. There are a lot of interesting readings here. I know that I do not want to put my 8yr. old son on medication so I am too trying the supplement approach. I have read about both the L-Theanine and the L-Tyrosine. I have decide to try the L-Theanine. Is there any one out there that is using L-Theanine? I went to the health store and bought the 100mg tablet. We are starting out with just one tablet a day and we are working with his teachers so we can monitor the effects. If there is any one that can give me any help for information I would appreciate it. Also I will keep people who want to know how our progression post also.

Old 12-11-2003, 01:09 PM   #11

szarkam HB User

Please let me know how you make out, since I am looking for a cheaper alternative to Becalm'd

Old 12-11-2003, 07:11 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

The new company I buy from has DL-Phenylalanine, L-Glutamine, and 5-HTP

You can get a bottle of all 3 for about $40 and it's enough to last at least 3months but probably 4.
(The only ingrediants you'd be missing are ingrediants that are found in regular multivitamins)

You may also want a b-complex, which you can get from the grocery store for about $5.

They also sell L-Theanine

Old 12-12-2003, 06:51 AM   #13

soconfused HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by * Free ~ Spirit *
The new company I buy from has DL-Phenylalanine, L-Glutamine, and 5-HTP

You can get a bottle of all 3 for about $40 and it's enough to last at least 3months but probably 4.
(The only ingrediants you'd be missing are ingrediants that are found in regular multivitamins)

You may also want a b-complex, which you can get from the grocery store for about $5.

They also sell L-Theanine

what is 5htp? maybe i need that. gosh, phenylalnine? i thought that was in nutra sweet.

Old 12-12-2003, 01:02 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soconfused
what is 5htp? maybe i need that. gosh, phenylalnine? i thought that was in nutra sweet.
5-HTP increases serotonin. It's like an anti depressant. To get the right nutritional supplements you need to first know what symptoms you want to decrease. Even after you know that its still hard to find the right combo. I posted to you in "adhd and mild bipolar" regaurding borderline.

Old 12-16-2003, 09:05 AM   #15

rphulsey HB User

Well for those of you who are interested, is has almost been a week with the use of L-Theanine. There are some positive signs, but there is still a long ways to go. We are currenting giving my 8 yr. old son one 100mg eat morning after breakfast. We also give him the Coromega. With the 100mg it seems that it is wearing off in the afternoon. We will give it another week and see if there are any more change before me modify the number of times we give it to him. We are thinking of giving him another one in the evenings.

Closed Thread