It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2003, 04:53 PM   #1
(male)

vasdef HB User
Provigil and Adult A.D.D.

Just recently I've been diagnosed with Narcolepsy. My doc has prescribed Provigil to keep me awake during the day. I suspect that I might have a.d.d. and have heard that Provigil has been used for people with a.d.d. Does anyone here take Provigil for a.d.d. and if so, I would like to hear about it. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2003, 06:11 PM   #2

saxgirl HB User
Re: Provigil and Adult A.D.D.

Excellent question...I've wondered the same thing. My shrink gives me concerta for ADHD, and my neuro gives me provigil for sleepiness from sleep apnea...he insists it does nothing for ADHD, but I think it does. I stopped taking concerta cuz it actually makes me sleepy, but the provigil helps me stay awake. Just my $.02. Anyone else have any input?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2003, 06:10 PM   #3

free~spirit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxgirl
Excellent question...I've wondered the same thing. My shrink gives me concerta for ADHD, and my neuro gives me provigil for sleepiness from sleep apnea...he insists it does nothing for ADHD, but I think it does. I stopped taking concerta cuz it actually makes me sleepy, but the provigil helps me stay awake. Just my $.02. Anyone else have any input?
Sleep apnea causes ADHD symptoms, so maybe you just have sleep apnea and not true ADHD. Would explain why your sleep apnea meds are so helpful for your ADHD symptoms.

Old 11-27-2003, 07:56 PM   #4

saxgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by free~spirit
Sleep apnea causes ADHD symptoms, so maybe you just have sleep apnea and not true ADHD. Would explain why your sleep apnea meds are so helpful for your ADHD symptoms.
True, but the apnea is treated & I still have ADHD.

Old 11-27-2003, 08:13 PM   #5

free~spirit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxgirl
True, but the apnea is treated & I still have ADHD.
Well you did say that your sleep apnea treatment helps your ADD, was just a thought ya know.

Old 11-28-2003, 12:50 AM   #6

saxgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by free~spirit
Well you did say that your sleep apnea treatment helps your ADD, was just a thought ya know.
Sorry, I meant I use a bipap machine to treat the sleep apnea. Even after the apneas were gone, I was still too sleepy, so I got provigil. You're right though, it's hard to tell if the improvement's from being awake or from the provigil.

Old 11-28-2003, 05:56 PM   #7

szarkam HB User

If the sleep apnea meds help with the adhd - sounds like you are ahead of the game.

Old 12-24-2003, 12:49 PM   #8
Inactive

sflaboy25 HB User

i am sleepy all day and usually take long naps in the afternoon despite getting rest at night. does provigil work good for you to help keep you awake? seems like all i wanna do is sleep!!

Old 12-25-2003, 04:16 AM   #9

brainf0g HB User

Yeah Provigil is starting to be used more in people with AD/HD. It seems to work with about the same success rate as say Wellbutrin, some say it works while others claim it does nothing. It's usually/almost always used in adults, and usually inattentive AD/HD, much moreso than the other AD/HD subtypes.

Old 12-25-2003, 10:44 AM   #10
Inactive

sflaboy25 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainf0g
Yeah Provigil is starting to be used more in people with AD/HD. It seems to work with about the same success rate as say Wellbutrin, some say it works while others claim it does nothing. It's usually/almost always used in adults, and usually inattentive AD/HD, much moreso than the other AD/HD subtypes.
i am currently taking 450mgs. wellbutrin and have never experienced any stimulation what-so-ever from it....my body has a very high tolerance for drugs. i am going to see a new doctor next month and he wants to put me on dexedrine so i am excited about that. my current doc. keeps on giving me antidepressants and none of them worked but he just doesn't get it LOL

Old 12-26-2003, 03:28 AM   #11

brainf0g HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflaboy25
i am currently taking 450mgs. wellbutrin and have never experienced any stimulation what-so-ever from it....my body has a very high tolerance for drugs. i am going to see a new doctor next month and he wants to put me on dexedrine so i am excited about that. my current doc. keeps on giving me antidepressants and none of them worked but he just doesn't get it LOL

Interesting cause my main med is Wellbutrin SR @ 400mg and it takes the 'foggyness' away well for me. Foggyness is my main AD/HD symptom, if I didn't have brainfog then I could easily use the old psych theory of "intellect over emotion" for every other symptom.

What type of AD/HD do you have? The reason Wellbutrin probably works for me is because I have inattentive/Limbic ADD.

Have you tried Ritalin or Concerta? One thing I have noticed is people who Wellbutrin doesn't work for usually have success with the methylphenidate stimulants.

Old 12-26-2003, 08:35 PM   #12
Inactive

sflaboy25 HB User

Quote:
Interesting cause my main med is Wellbutrin SR @ 400mg and it takes the 'foggyness' away well for me. Foggyness is my main AD/HD symptom, if I didn't have brainfog then I could easily use the old psych theory of "intellect over emotion" for every other symptom.

What type of AD/HD do you have? The reason Wellbutrin probably works for me is because I have inattentive/Limbic ADD.

Have you tried Ritalin or Concerta? One thing I have noticed is people who Wellbutrin doesn't work for usually have success with the methylphenidate stimulants.
actually wellbutrin by itself doesn't do a thing for me..but i am combining it with 300mg effexor xr and 200 zoloft daily....still am very depressed and no help with add...i am finally going to see a pschyatrist next month, because i could not afford one before, and he and i decided that dexedrine would be a good med to start...not sure what kind of add i have. i forget everything, can't finish anything i start, am tired all the time, and many other things that would take an hour to write down LOL

Old 01-01-2004, 04:11 PM   #13

jupiter_nate HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasdef
Just recently I've been diagnosed with Narcolepsy. My doc has prescribed Provigil to keep me awake during the day. I suspect that I might have a.d.d. and have heard that Provigil has been used for people with a.d.d. Does anyone here take Provigil for a.d.d. and if so, I would like to hear about it. Thanks
I am in my 30's, male, 190 lbs, with ADD inattentive type, recently diagnosed. I began self-medicating with provigil before I knew I had ADD; this is what led to my diagnosis. I took 50 mg. 2-3 times/day and it was highly effective at helping me concentrate at work and initiate and complete tasks. Provigil also made me a little more desirous of interpersonal interaction: I found conversations more interesting. I'm not sure if this was because I was paying attention to them more of for some other reason, but I felt slightly more outgoing while on provigil. The effectiveness in terms of task initiation and completion seemed to wear off, however, after three to four months. I increased my dosage to 100 mg. 2 times a day but had trouble with my short-term memory and felt a little spacey so I returned to 50 mg. It was highly effective at keeping me alert, and enabled me to work into the night with no loss of mental acuity, without interfering with my ability to fall asleep when that is what I wanted. Prescribed doses for sleep disorders are often 400 mg. or more per day, so my side effects at 200 mg. might have diminished if I had maintained that dosage for more than a few days. I noticed provigil's benefits the first day I took it. I am now trying other medications to find the best one for me, but may try going back to provigil for a few months if none of the others work for me; I am finishing up my first trial of another medication but will be trying something else shortly. I believe that provigil is currently in either phase-II or phase-III testing to obtain an indication for ADD. I noticed no adverse side effects other than what I've described above, but it is known to diminish the effectiveness of oral contraceptives in women.

Old 01-01-2004, 04:17 PM   #14

szarkam HB User

I have been blocked out of the boards can someone help!!!

Old 01-04-2004, 01:00 PM   #15
Inactive

sflaboy25 HB User

Quote:

my regular pdoc will not prescribe me stimulants but i have an appt. with a pschyatrist later this week and he wants to start me on dexedrine so i am really excited....for as long as i can remember (i am 26) i have been suffering from add/depression and have not found any antidepressants to be effective.
i pondered about trying strattera but due to the high amount of men reporting sexual side effects, i refuse to go on that...talk about making me more depressed!!! no sex drive and impotence at 26 is not fun.
my appt. is on thursday so can't wait!

Closed Thread