It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2003, 03:03 PM   #1

SBContreras HB User
Question Writing a "504" letter

Hi. I am new to this board. My 13-year old son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was in the 2nd grade. He is on meds and we work with him alot at home, He has always had various difficulties in school, but nothing too severe. This year though (8th grade), he is REALLY having a hard time. He is failing three classes - social studies, language arts (a.k.a. "English"), and science - mainly due to incomplete and missing assignments. Writing more than a paragraph (as in putting thoughts together in a coherent manner on paper - not the physical aspect) has always been difficult for him, but this year there is so much more of it required that that is where he is really struggling. We see his pediatrician about every 3 - 4 months to follow-up on his meds. His teachers, for the most part, are very supportive, but they can only be supportive and accommodating to a certain point, without a binding "contract" to require more accommodations. It has been suggested to me by a licensed psychologist that I get my son on a "504" plan with the school (we do not think he has any learning disabilities, but we are looking into this further).

Have any of you written a letter to your child's school requesting a 504 evaluation ? If you have them available electronically, would you mind sharing them with me so I can get an idea of what to ask for ? Any suggestions you have for me would also be appreciated. You can PM me at [removed].

Thanks.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-05-2003 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Do not post contact information. Please carefully read and follow the board posting guidelines.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2003, 04:18 PM   #2

justgettingby HB User
Re: Writing a "504" letter

All I did was write a informal letter to the principal requesting the child study team to evaluate my child for the 504 plan. You can also submit with your letter a request from your child's docotor but it is not necessary. They have to honor your request to evaluate. On the next page there is a thread from someone asking what to ask for when your 504 is granted. I wrote allot of the accomadations I asked for... Check it out...

Oh yeah, make sure you keep a copy of all your correspondence with the school. emails, letters and a telephone log.... Good luck..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBContreras
Hi. I am new to this board. My 13-year old son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was in the 2nd grade. He is on meds and we work with him alot at home, He has always had various difficulties in school, but nothing too severe. This year though (8th grade), he is REALLY having a hard time. He is failing three classes - social studies, language arts

(a.k.a. "English"), and science - mainly due to incomplete and missing assignments. Writing more than a paragraph (as in putting thoughts together in a coherent manner on paper - not the physical aspect) has always been difficult for him, but this year there is so much more of it required that that is where he is really struggling. We see his pediatrician about every 3 - 4 months to follow-up on his meds. His teachers, for the most part, are very supportive, but they can only be supportive and accommodating to a certain point, without a binding "contract" to require more accommodations. It has been suggested to me by a licensed psychologist that I get my son on a "504" plan with the school (we do not think he has any learning disabilities, but we are looking into this further).

Have any of you written a letter to your child's school requesting a 504 evaluation ? If you have them available electronically, would you mind sharing them with me so I can get an idea of what to ask for ? Any suggestions you have for me would also be appreciated. You can PM me at [removed].

Thanks.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-05-2003 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Do not quote posts that violate the posting rules.

Old 12-05-2003, 06:23 PM   #3
Inactive

rubydog HB User

Just in case you didn't know: Section 504 is the federal legislation that says children with disabilities must be provided a free appropriate public education. While schools like to imply that your child only qualifies if he is "learning disabled" in reading or math, an ADD child qualifies if he is experiencing difficulties in the classroom because he is "Other Health Impaired" (OHI, for short) regardless of how he performs on aptitude testing.

With my son's school, I didn't write a formal letter. I just took the results of his testing to the counselor, told her that I wanted to "504 him" and she set up the official meeting for us. Of course, if you expect resistance, it's always best to have it in writing.

Good Luck!

Old 12-09-2003, 11:37 AM   #4
(female)

RhondaV123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubydog
Just in case you didn't know: Section 504 is the federal legislation that says children with disabilities must be provided a free appropriate public education. While schools like to imply that your child only qualifies if he is "learning disabled" in reading or math, an ADD child qualifies if he is experiencing difficulties in the classroom because he is "Other Health Impaired" (OHI, for short) regardless of how he performs on aptitude testing.

With my son's school, I didn't write a formal letter. I just took the results of his testing to the counselor, told her that I wanted to "504 him" and she set up the official meeting for us. Of course, if you expect resistance, it's always best to have it in writing.

Good Luck!

My daughter has a 504 but that is because of her seizures. It really helps with the homework plus she has teachers who have really worked with her and helped her out. She did have ADD when she was a little girl but stopped taking Ritalin after the 5th grade. In the 6th grade she started having seizures. I've often wondered if the two are releated somehow. Guess I'll never know, because there is no apparent reason for her seizures. Like someone above said, keep track of anything like emails , letters, and telephone calls conserning the 504. Good luck.

RHonda

Closed Thread