It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2003, 05:08 PM   #1

Crazy_Cutie HB User
Question Adderall or Dexedrine?

Well the ritalin just is not working for me at all. The next step is either adderall or dexedrine. My doctor told me that she hasn't had any patiants who liked dexedrine well enough to keep taking it, most switched to other meds. Dexedrine is ALOT cheaper than adderall so that's the only reason why I'm considering it.

I'd like to hear about anyones experiences, good and bad, with either dexedrine or adderall.

Old 12-22-2003, 05:46 PM   #2

thenextguy HB User
Cool Re: Adderall or Dexedrine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Cutie
Well the ritalin just is not working for me at all. The next step is either adderall or dexedrine. My doctor told me that she hasn't had any patiants who liked dexedrine well enough to keep taking it, most switched to other meds. Dexedrine is ALOT cheaper than adderall so that's the only reason why I'm considering it.

I'd like to hear about anyones experiences, good and bad, with either dexedrine or adderall.
Ritalin and Adderall never worked for me while Dexedrine did. Everyone is different. It couldn't hurt to try Dexedrine and it might help quite a bit. If the side effects are unbearable, you just stop taking it. I'd actually recommend trying both Dexedrine and Adderall (separately, of course). If they both work, stick with the one you liked the best. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2003, 10:27 AM   #3
Inactive

rubydog HB User
Re: Adderall or Dexedrine?

A couple of thoughts for you, Crazycutie:

Although I'm one of the more vocal defenders of stimulant medication on this board, Dexedrine concerns me a tad more than the others. The reason for this is that I believe (others can correct me if I'm wrong), Dexedrine is a purer amphetamine than the others. Adderall also contains a small amount of dextroamphetamine. I'm not saying that you or anyone else shouldn't take it, I would just want you to be aware that there may be a higher abuse potential involved. Promise yourself that you will never, ever, under any circumstances, take more than the recommended amount.

I went back and reread your earlier post "help..add" and I had another thought to throw out. The symptoms you describe really do sound like ADD and I know you said serotonin is not a problem for you. I can't help but wonder, though, if some of your lack of motivation with the bills, housework, etc isn't maybe also a low-grade depression. Perhaps, in addition to the difficulty with concentration, you're battling some apathy that could be mild depression. I don't know you and so can't say if this is true for you, but it's a thought that you might want to "try on" and see if it fits.

If you do have a bit of depression, it would explain why you're not getting better results with the ADD meds. IF you decide this is a possibility, the wellbutrin your doctor suggested earlier might really help you. In addition to helping with the concentration, wellbutrin tends to be activating and might give you more energy to tackle those tasks that we all find to be so odious!

My last thought for now is that you ain't crazy, honey. I hate to see you call yourself that!!

Old 12-23-2003, 11:21 AM   #4

ireneb96 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubydog

Although I'm one of the more vocal defenders of stimulant medication on this board, Dexedrine concerns me a tad more than the others. The reason for this is that I believe (others can correct me if I'm wrong), Dexedrine is a purer amphetamine than the others. Adderall also contains a small amount of dextroamphetamine. I'm not saying that you or anyone else shouldn't take it, I would just want you to be aware that there may be a higher abuse potential involved. Promise yourself that you will never, ever, under any circumstances, take more than the recommended amount.

I went back and reread your earlier post "help..add" and I had another thought to throw out. The symptoms you describe really do sound like ADD and I know you said serotonin is not a problem for you. I can't help but wonder, though, if some of your lack of motivation with the bills, housework, etc isn't maybe also a low-grade depression. Perhaps, in addition to the difficulty with concentration, you're battling some apathy that could be mild depression. I don't know you and so can't say if this is true for you, but it's a thought that you might want to "try on" and see if it fits.

If you do have a bit of depression, it would explain why you're not getting better results with the ADD meds. IF you decide this is a possibility, the wellbutrin your doctor suggested earlier might really help you. In addition to helping with the concentration, wellbutrin tends to be activating and might give you more energy to tackle those tasks that we all find to be so odious!

My last thought for now is that you ain't crazy, honey. I hate to see you call yourself that!!
I have had the same problem with the lack of motivation all my life big time! My Dr. put me on the wellbutrin xl to help with what he called an anxiety disorder with mild depression and the very day I took it I was a new person in that area. How ever now that I am on ritilin for my ADD along with the wellbutrin xl I am fighting the low energy again. I seam to have the Innatintive type ADD. I have cut my 20mg in quarters and that works ok but not enough to not try something else.

Last edited by ireneb96; 12-23-2003 at 11:23 AM.

Old 12-23-2003, 11:53 AM   #5

Crazy_Cutie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubydog

I'm not depressed, it's not lack of motivation. I just get distracted with other things. I have TOO MUCH ENERGY. I dont want more!!!

Old 12-23-2003, 12:07 PM   #6
(male)

html HB User

Good luck finding something that works for you.

Last edited by html; 12-23-2003 at 12:09 PM.

Old 12-23-2003, 12:39 PM   #7
Inactive

rubydog HB User

Quote:
I'm not depressed, it's not lack of motivation. I just get distracted with other things. I have TOO MUCH ENERGY. I dont want more!!!
Oh, sorry. In that case, you definitely don't want something activating. Well, I hope you have success in finding what does work for you!

Old 12-23-2003, 01:57 PM   #8

ireneb96 HB User

[QUOTE=Crazy_Cutie]I'm not depressed, it's not lack of motivation. I just get distracted with other things. I have TOO MUCH ENERGY. I dont want more!!![/QUOTE

Oh, ok well did you try to cut your ritilin in half (only done if not extended release) or even quarters?

Old 12-23-2003, 04:51 PM   #9

Crazy_Cutie HB User

[QUOTE=ireneb96]
Quote:
I'm not depressed, it's not lack of motivation. I just get distracted with other things. I have TOO MUCH ENERGY. I dont want more!!![/QUOTE

Oh, ok well did you try to cut your ritilin in half (only done if not extended release) or even quarters?

I did try a lower dose but it wasn't helping as well as I and my doctor had hoped. The only meds I have tried are strattera and ritalin products so there are still many others. I'm just so spacey on the ritalin. On a lower dose I'm not so spacey but it doesn't help my over activity. Which is why my doctor raised the dose.

I'm going to try dexedrine for the next week, if that doesnt work or if there are side effects I'll be moving on to adderall.

Last edited by Crazy_Cutie; 12-24-2003 at 12:21 AM.

Old 01-05-2004, 05:34 AM   #10

Markie Mark HB User

I have been on Dexidrine for 8 years now. I have had no sideeffects that I could put my finger on. I am satisfied with the med. I like that it does not quit suddenly on me, so I don't get bad rebound when the meds wear off. I did find a couple of years ago that taking fish oil allowed me to reduce the quanity by 25%. I plan on taking Dexidrine for some time, have no plans on switching.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:58 AM   #11
(female)

stacis HB User

Crazy Cutie; I'm glad you are going forth to find something to suite your needs. I have recently been put on Concerta. I don't know much about it, but hope it works. I have never thought myself to be hyper, but anything I read about Concerta refers to it being for ADHA not specifically ADD. In any regard, your symptoms sound a lot like mine. I 'm very leary of being on this med due to my (trying to ween) 14 month old son breastfeeding in the night. He only breastfeeds off and on in the night (sleeping hours)! I just hate to have him cry it out. I was on 50mg of Zoloft and I breastfed then. Now that I am on a stimulant, I should really wean him. Does anyone know how long this takes to motabolize? I thought if I take it in the morning, by the time he nurses in the late evening and into the wee hours of the night/until the next am, the chances of much of the Concerta passing through breastmilk would be minimized. Also, what ever the mother is taking, what ever baby gets from milk will be a dirivative off of a dirivative. If any person has an opinion or suggestion to offer, it would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, Crazy Cutie, maybe you should talk to your doc about Concerta. I always read about it being perscribed for children and adole. but not adults. Thanks

Closed Thread