It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2004, 12:42 PM   #1

pigeonnut HB User
Does this story sound familiar???

Hello everyone
Let me introduce myself. I'm a 34 yr old married father of 2 wonderful childeren from upstate NY and have recently come to the conclusion that i should seek professional help. I guess it started w/ my parents divorce at age 6. I was an average student who excelled in art and science "took high school art in 3rd and 4th grade" but i struggeled with everything else. I stumbled along until i was able to quit school at 16 and i never really got my %*#^ together until my early 20's. Now after going thru job after job,never being fired but always coming up with some excuse to move on. I was recently hired back into a $40.000 a yr job that i had quit 4 yrs ago w/no notice. Thankfully i have an excellent reputation in my line of work that has enabled me to continue to provide a decent living for my family. Now we have some changes coming up that i know i can handle but deep down something is constantly telling me that it's time to leave. My mind is a storm of thoughts and i have to instantly write important info down or i forget. Is this stress?? I've made alot of very poor choices that have hurt us both emotionally and financially and i can't continue on this coarse. Any ideas???

Old 01-03-2004, 10:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
Re: Does this story sound familiar???

So do you have ADHD or do you just have some emotional problems? You said it all started when your parents got divorced, so that makes me think emotional issues/problems dealing with stress, but you didn't say anything about ADHD.

More info please.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2004, 06:25 AM   #3

pigeonnut HB User

Hi Freespirit
I have yet to speak to physician and i plan to do so asap. I'm not sure what i have but i am sure i need help figuring it out. I have "finally" noticed i constantly interupt people in meetings and i frequently try to finish peoples sentences for them. I don't even think about it until i'm already a few words into the interupsion. I will keep you posted.
Thanks
Sincerly
pigeonguy

Old 01-04-2004, 12:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Well, if it just started lately, or only happens during periods of stress it's not ADD. It's important that you stand up for yourself and make sure the doctor gives you a full physical and psychological examination before giving you a diagnosis. ADD has symptoms that are pretty general... and can be associated with hundreds of things besides actual ADD, but most doctors are lazy and will just diagnose you with ADD, give you some ritalin, and be done with you.

Old 01-04-2004, 01:06 PM   #5

pigeonnut HB User

This did'nt just start recently. My wife mentioned that i have exhibited that behavior for the 10yrs she has known me. I have just started to take notice of it and i need to find a way to control it.Just recently i have noticed a dramatic reduction in shortterm memory. My mood swings have been with me as long as i can remember. The never ending feeling of dread in the workplace has been with me for the long haul as well. My family has a history of mental illness on my mothers side but there was a bit of substance abuse on my fathers side.
Tom

Old 01-04-2004, 01:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Which mental illness run in your family? ADHD is not a mental illness but many mental illness have the same symptoms. It's VERY important that you rule out the mental illness that run in your family, ADHD treatments can make many mental illness worse.

Have you had the symptoms since you were a kid?

What are some of the symptoms?

What was school like for you? (Not only grade wise, but also comment wise..what comments did your teachers write on your report cards?)

Healing ADD
by Dr. Amen

&

Driven to Distraction
by John Ratey

are both good books for those beggining research in ADD. One that might be better for you is

Change Your Brain Change Your Life
by Dr Amen -
This book looks at all the different sections of the brain, what they do, and what kind of disorders are associated with problems in that part of the brain.

Old 01-04-2004, 05:10 PM   #7

pigeonnut HB User
Smile Re: Does this story sound familiar???

My Brother was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, My sister with depression, My aunt and my cousin i'm not sure of. If these things are mental illnesses or not i could'nt be sure. I have no experience in this field. I will look for some report cards. I struggled with everything but art. Outside of art class i would stare out the window or skip school altogether. I met with a psycologist at school in 5th grade but i can't remember what he told my folks. I turned into the child from hell from that period of time until i was able to quit school. Now i just need to find a doctor and address this.
Thanks

Old 01-05-2004, 01:39 AM   #8

adding-it-up HB User

hey pigeonnut,

Well, it sure sounds familiar to me, because what you've described here sure sounds like it could have been written by me...

I was just recently diagnosed with ADD, though I have been aware that I was "different" all my life. The testing was a 2 day affair that tested eveything: memory, cognition, spacial skills, you name it. It was very cool and the results were very telling. I scored in the top 99th percentile for spacial skills, but did horribly in the short term memory dept. The reason for that - too many thoughts, too often, and all of them affecting the performace of my frontal lobe region (that's as technical as I can get), but my psychologist calls it being "Quick Smart" (ain't she sweet).

Anyway, all of my life I had trouble maintaining focus, did horrid in school - mainly due to being distractred by EVERYTHING, yet I could/can hyper-focus for hours on something that was/is stimulating enough to keep my mind focused. And yes, I would/do interrupt conversations due to the impulse to get whatever gem had popped into my head out for everyone to enjoy (heh). I'm horribly forgetful (again short term only - where are my glasses? - doh! they're on my head. Anyone seen my keys? - said even before looking for them).

As for depression, anxiety... well, they do go hand in hand with ADD, I mean, it's depressing to be this way, yes? and frustrating, yes? which can cause anxiety, yes?. Yes. However, the diagnosis has helped me. I understand myself better now and am working on retraining myself ie: trying to be more organized (I said trying), less interrupting (ahem), less impulsive (oops!). I also excercise way more... it really really helps, as my mind is in constant need of stimuli, but somehow, running around the room, or block, or park wears me out enough to just chill. My g/f is also great and knows me so so well. She's been great at keeping my spirits up. Thus, I think it's important to discuss any issues you may have about ADD with your S/O.

But the bright side, and I do believe there is one - we are generally very creative people. We are different, and ADD is not a mental illness, it's just a different way of perception - that's my feelings. But diet helps, lots of good fatty acids, fish, flax, all are natural brain calmers. And coffee, well, it is a stimulant, so yeah... hmmm, what else? Oh yeah, they say Edison was ADD - so ya see what I'm getting at here?

Well, if I think of more, I'll be back, for now, I'll fix my bazillion typos and post this puppy.

Best o luck with it all!

Old 01-05-2004, 02:10 AM   #9

pigeonnut HB User

Hey Adding-it-up
I'm glad you've figured it out!! I have to take a day, Next week at the latest and talk to someone. so this week i'll try snd find a psychologist.
So long gotta run
Pigeonnut

Old 01-06-2004, 01:35 PM   #10

eclecticjenn HB User

I just thought I would mention a possibility to you...Have you had/heard of a traumatic experience that happened to you/someone you know? I ask this because what you're describing sounds somewhat like Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I would look into it. I have PTSD and was diagnosed when I was 12 (abusive family). I experience exactly what you're describing. Also, when something traumatic has happened to someone, they tend to dissociate and block things out of their memory. This can inhibit your ability to recall small things (day-to-day items, like what you did with those G*D Dam*ned Keys
!!!) Do you practice venting? I firmly believe that everyone should vent their problems. Venting may help you as well....I hope you're able to work things out!!

Old 01-06-2004, 03:49 PM   #11

pigeonnut HB User

Hey Eclecticjenn
My folks splitting up was pretty rough on me but i was having trouble in school before that. That whole thing just seem to add fuel to the fire. I would'nt say that was a traumatic time. Sad but not traumatic.
Take care

Old 01-07-2004, 09:38 AM   #12

TPnTX HB User

Gez folks I have all of this stuff. Right down to the traumatic experiences. Actually several to choose from. So who knows whats wrong with me.

I've pretty much resigned to the self diagnosed ADD. I want to go to the Dr. but I haven't.

I'm a programmer and it getting harder and harder for me. I think it's becuase I'm getting bored. I want to be a farmer or a rancher or... a fireman even. But I'm too old to start over financially.

My mind is like Cable TV that you can't find anything good on, so you just keep scanning to the next station. Oh but If I find a cartoon I'm good to go.

I just wonder what it would be like to concentrate.

I hate anything that make you like your on speed or something. I can't handle that feeling. That why I'm hesitant to try drugs.

Old 01-07-2004, 11:02 AM   #13

jupiter_nate HB User

Hey pigeonut,
My background sure sounds similar to yours, as it does to adding-it-up's. i am in my 30's and diagnosed a few months ago. The diagnosis made sense of a lot of patterns in my life that I now think are related but did not piece together before. I am pursuing treatment with docs and if I find a treatment that helps, I feel that it will open up a world of possibilities for me, both subtle and significant. It's amazing to me how many different areas of my life my ADD has probably affected, and for how long. Our stories sound similar - I would encourage you to look into whatever you feel may be bothering you.

Old 01-07-2004, 07:18 PM   #14

pigeonnut HB User

Hey Jupiter_nate
I'm gonna go for it and talk to someone. I know i can live a happier life than i'm living now.
Take care

Old 01-08-2004, 08:06 AM   #15

szarkam HB User

Considering counseling - Good Luck

Closed Thread