It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2004, 06:29 PM   #1
Inactive

dorkette HB User
Medication while pregnant??

I was only diagnosed with ADHD about nine months ago (I'm 25). I had previously been diagnosed as bipolar type II and then my new doctor, was like no, you have ADHD with depression. I was understandably skeptical, but thought I would try the medication she prescribed. I took Strattera and responded really well. I didn't realize how well until I went off of it to try to get pregnant. Well now I'm pregnant, but so scatter brained I can barely drive.
Any ladies out there who have gone through pregnancy w/ADHD? (or ADD, I don't really get the difference) Can Strattera be taken after the first trimester?
Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-05-2004, 06:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
Re: Medication while pregnant??

You need to go off your meds in order to have a safe pregnancy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2004, 10:01 PM   #3

rainonwindow HB User

I would not think this forum is a good place to be getting medical advice when you are pregnant. Please discuss the safety vrs risk of this medication with your doctor.

If you looking for personal opinions - I wouldn't take the medication if I were pregnant. I have ADHD and went through two pregnancies.

If you are in your first trimester, your body is going through a huge hormonal adjustment. It can throw anybody off.

Old 01-06-2004, 05:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

According to the PDR, there have been no studies on the safety of straterra in humans during pregnancy. So, I sure wouldn't take it. From personal experience, the "fogginess" of pregnancy didn't last much beyond the first trimester.

Try writing yourself lots of notes to help your memory. Brisk walking (or whatever exercise your OB has approved) may help a little, too.

Good luck with that pregnancy and baby!!!

Old 01-06-2004, 10:42 PM   #5

Jodie HB User

I am a nurse so I can only advise you...stop the meds! If you are lucky, you will have a slight 'remission' of symptoms during pregnancy. I am highly hyperactive and pregnancy even slowed me down--and I found that even though my mind was still racing it didn't cause me any anxiety. I wish you the best--the time passes so quickly. I gave birth to beautiful twin boys almost a year ago (1/13/03) and what I failed to tell you is...... It comes back about 10-fold after delivery! Have your meds ready then.

Old 01-07-2004, 11:24 AM   #6
Inactive

dorkette HB User

Thanks for your replies...I wouldn't think that anyone came here for medical advice. I have talked to my doctor but I thought I would make a post here to gain from the experiences and opinions of others with similar conditions. I thought that was what this board was for.

Old 01-07-2004, 01:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

That is what this board is for.

I think rain was just reminding you that we arent doctors here. (some people who come to the boards come here wanting to speak to doctors)

Closed Thread