It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2004, 07:03 AM   #1

buderfly HB User
Arrow Adderall vs Adderall XR

Hi everyone!
My doctor just recently switced me from Strattera to Adderall. With the Strattera I felt down all the time, no energy to do anything. But my question is what is the difference between Adderall and Adderall XR? I know that one is a time released and you just take once a day....but is that the only difference? Can you have different side effects from the two? Just curious because my doctor put me on the regular adderall twice a day, but if I can just take one once a day and it works the same that would be even better.

Old 01-08-2004, 01:58 PM   #2

Blaana HB User
Re: Adderall vs Adderall XR

I also wanted to take the xr but my doctor said that it was for children and was more expensive. I think that's the only difference. It was made to make it more convenient for children to take the medicine while in school.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2004, 09:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

Adderall XR is no more for children than regular adderall. You are right about the price though, it is more expensive, and there is no generic adderall xr available. But there is generic regular adderall... amphetamine salt combo, which is much cheaper.

For some people adderall xr lasts substancially longer than regular adderall. For others the difference isnt all that noticeable. Some people have more problems with mood swings on the xr. However, some people have less issues.

A person who is sensitive to meds may respond well to xr but not regular release and vice versa. Side effects may also be a bit different (someone may have more side effects with one form than the other)

Old 01-08-2004, 09:54 PM   #4

buderfly HB User

Thank you very muchfor replying.....I think you both covered it for me, I just wasnt sure, but if XR is more expensive then my butts staying on the regular hehe

Old 01-12-2004, 09:32 AM   #5

6re99 HB User

xr is also deemed less abuseable by doctors. With regular pills, you can just crush them up easly and do with what you wish, but XR are extremely hard to crush and seem tobe more of a hastle. Mopst doctors put people with drinking issues or other problems on the XR as they believe they would be less likely to abuse it..

xr has a different feeling.. more of a drawn out hell, followed by a period of sketchiness, and then horrible mood swings, anti social traits, and pure ache.. my doc put me on 10mg regular twice a day and after 3 weeks, i really didnt feel it take hold anymore. she then put me on the xr (20mg onceaday, then 30mg once a day, and then we finaly went with a 30 and a 10mg) and it worked for a while, but i can not take it more than 3 days in a row or i start to feel like total crap.. its more pleasurable to be all impulsive with my actions, than have the 8-10hr 'stoned' hell that xr provides..

Last edited by 6re99; 01-12-2004 at 09:35 AM.

Closed Thread