It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2004, 10:59 PM   #1

crazygirl HB User
Question ADD Inattentive ??

Hi, I was told by my doctor, that i might have ADD- Inattentive, she didnt really give me to much detail on it . I was just wondering, if i do have this, is there anyway i can get out of taking medication? or is meds a for sure thing?

Thanks
-Crazygirl-

Old 01-07-2004, 11:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
Re: ADD Inattentive ??

Hi,
First off if the doc didn't give you much info then you need to go and get another opinion. A good doctor will do lots of testing before saying ADD. They will also give lots of information to you. If a doc doesnt do this they most likely are not very knowledgeable about the subject. ADD is VERY OVERDIAGNOSED! You need to be very careful to get all proper testing, it should include a full physical with blood tests and urine tests. You also need a full psych evaluation to rule out other psychological issues that might be causing the symptoms. And, if you have any odd symptoms that indicate possible seizure activity you should also be evaluated by a neurologist. There are hundreds of conditions that mimic ADD... thyroid problems, depression, anxiety, asthma and many more.

ADD is something that you have your entire life. It doesnt just pop up later in life. If you do have ADD there are many treatment options other than medications. Unfortunantly the doctors will probably only tell you about the medications. But these medications are very powerful, and should really only be used when other safer treatment options have failed.

Other treatments besides meds include these and many more options:
Nutritional Interventions
Behavior Modification
Bio feedback

You can also just play your strengths, get a job that you are good at, one that is stimulating and that you enjoy. Many people with ADD can thrive in the right environment.

Why does your doctor think you might have innatentive ADD?
What are your symptoms?
When did you start having these symptoms?
What tests did your doctor do to determine that you may have ADD?

Last edited by * Free ~ Spirit *; 01-07-2004 at 11:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2004, 12:08 AM   #3

crazygirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by * Free ~ Spirit *
Hi,
First off if the doc didn't give you much info then you need to go and get another opinion. A good doctor will do lots of testing before saying ADD. They will also give lots of information to you. If a doc doesnt do this they most likely are not very knowledgeable about the subject. ADD is VERY OVERDIAGNOSED! You need to be very careful to get all proper testing, it should include a full physical with blood tests and urine tests. You also need a full psych evaluation to rule out other psychological issues that might be causing the symptoms. And, if you have any odd symptoms that indicate possible seizure activity you should also be evaluated by a neurologist. There are hundreds of conditions that mimic ADD... thyroid problems, depression, anxiety, asthma and many more.

ADD is something that you have your entire life. It doesnt just pop up later in life. If you do have ADD there are many treatment options other than medications. Unfortunantly the doctors will probably only tell you about the medications. But these medications are very powerful, and should really only be used when other safer treatment options have failed.

Other treatments besides meds include these and many more options:
Nutritional Interventions
Behavior Modification
Bio feedback

You can also just play your strengths, get a job that you are good at, one that is stimulating and that you enjoy. Many people with ADD can thrive in the right environment.

Why does your doctor think you might have innatentive ADD?
What are your symptoms?
When did you start having these symptoms?
What tests did your doctor do to determine that you may have ADD?
Hi,
1. She said it sounded like ADD Inattentive , cause of my symptoms, she wants more test...done
2. Symptoms: always feel bored, always daydreaming or "spacing out" lack of motavation,loosing interest in things fast.
........................................ ........................................ .................
Ive always been a "spacer" or daydreamer, sense i was like 5 years old. I kinda dont think i have this, but she said its a posisblity. But i dunno. I personaliy think i have seasonal depression, cause although i'm spacy all the time its worse in the fall/winter and then its usually bad daydreaming and spacing cause its usally thinking about death or something. MY doc knows all that but i guess is leaning more tords the ADD.

I'm kinda confussed with the whole thing.....

-Crazygirl-

Old 01-08-2004, 01:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

ADD is not an area where its best to listen to your doctor. As I said, ADD is way overdiagnosed. If you think you have seasonal depression and not ADD go with your instincts on this and work on treating depression. Depression causes ADD symptoms so it is definantly a real possibility that you are dealing with depression. With what you've said about the daydreaming being about death it certainly sounds like depression.

Either way there are treatments other than medications that you can and should try. Of course, if you are thinking about death there are anti depressant medications that might be helpful in stopping those thoughts.

ADD is genetic. Do either of your parents have it? You don't have to answer any of my questions of course but how old are you? Is this the first time youre seeking treatment for these symptoms?

Last edited by * Free ~ Spirit *; 01-08-2004 at 01:20 AM.

Old 01-08-2004, 12:38 PM   #5

crazygirl HB User

Quote:
ADD is not an area where its best to listen to your doctor. As I said, ADD is way overdiagnosed. If you think you have seasonal depression and not ADD go with your instincts on this and work on treating depression. Depression causes ADD symptoms so it is definantly a real possibility that you are dealing with depression. With what you've said about the daydreaming being about death it certainly sounds like depression.

Either way there are treatments other than medications that you can and should try. Of course, if you are thinking about death there are anti depressant medications that might be helpful in stopping those thoughts.

ADD is genetic. Do either of your parents have it? You don't have to answer any of my questions of course but how old are you? Is this the first time youre seeking treatment for these symptoms?
Hi
1. my dad has mild case of it and doesnt take meds. my mom doesnt have it, but has other problems
2. I'm 18
3. and yes its the first time for seeking treatment

I still dont understand if it sounds more like seasonal depression, then why is my doc. going with ADD?

Thanks

-crazygirl-

Old 01-08-2004, 02:50 PM   #6
(male)

html HB User

[QUOTE=crazygirl]
I still dont understand if it sounds more like seasonal depression, then why is my doc. going with ADD?
QUOTE]

How you present your symptoms to your doc is important. If you are primarily complaining about your inattentiveness, he is more likely to focus on that. If you talk more about your thoughts of death, he is more likely to worry about depression.

A thorough evaluation by a psychologist would be your best first step. Take his recommendations to your doctor if you're willing to try medication. If you're not wanting to take medication, talk to the psychologist about non-medical interventions.

Old 01-08-2004, 07:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

How old were you when you started having these symptoms(thoughts of death)? It doesnt sound like only seasonal depression, it sounds like depression that gets worse due to the seasons. If your doctor isn't listening to your concerns and insists that it is ADD get another opinion. Even if you do have ADD there is obviously something more going on that is making it worse, like depression for instance. It may be the depression causing all the symptoms. But right now the main focus of your treatments should be to work on getting rid of those depressed thoughts (thoughts of death)

Try some natural treatment methods while youre waiting for a competant doctor to evaluate you. Your current doctor may not truely know much about how many disorders can mimic ADD. She may not realize that depression can cause symptoms like inattentive ADD.

Get lots of exercise, eat well, try getting a massage, there is also light therapy for seasonal depression, L-Tyrosine is an amino acid you can buy about a months worth for $8 from the grocery store. It is helpful for some people with depression and or ADD. It doesn't work for everyone but there are many other options. Omega3 works great for many with ADD and also works for other illness such as depression and in some cases even bipolar.

Last edited by * Free ~ Spirit *; 01-08-2004 at 07:43 PM.

Old 01-08-2004, 09:26 PM   #8

crazygirl HB User

Quote:
How old were you when you started having these symptoms(thoughts of death)? It doesnt sound like only seasonal depression, it sounds like depression that gets worse due to the seasons. If your doctor isn't listening to your concerns and insists that it is ADD get another opinion. Even if you do have ADD there is obviously something more going on that is making it worse, like depression for instance. It may be the depression causing all the symptoms. But right now the main focus of your treatments should be to work on getting rid of those depressed thoughts (thoughts of death)

Try some natural treatment methods while youre waiting for a competant doctor to evaluate you. Your current doctor may not truely know much about how many disorders can mimic ADD. She may not realize that depression can cause symptoms like inattentive ADD.

Get lots of exercise, eat well, try getting a massage, there is also light therapy for seasonal depression, L-Tyrosine is an amino acid you can buy about a months worth for $8 from the grocery store. It is helpful for some people with depression and or ADD. It doesn't work for everyone but there are many other options. Omega3 works great for many with ADD and also works for other illness such as depression and in some cases even bipolar.
Hi, I'm 18 now ive had these "problems" sense i was probably 12-13years old, off and on... I dont think its straight up depression cause between like march-oct. i am fine..... i dont have these thoughts. I daydream and space out and when i do its good things.....but from nov-feb. i'm a total different person.
I personily think my doc. thinks i'm faking it or something......... i cant prove that ..but it sure seems that way..

-crazygirl-

Old 01-08-2004, 09:41 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

Well maybe it is seasonal depression with mild ADD?? Or maybe you are simply just a creative person, a dreamer, who has difficulties with seasonal depression?

The fact that you say you feel like your doctor thinks youre faking is alarming! From what you said earlier I already didn't like this doc much... now I surely don't like her!! Doctors are supposed to listen to you, they are supposed to take you seriously, and try to help you. It doesnt sound like your doctor is listening, or taking you seriously.

Can you get a new doctor?

Maybe if you try light therapy for seasonal depression (or another type of treatment for depression) you can manage any left over ADD symptoms with nutritional interventions or other non medical methods.

Old 01-09-2004, 12:11 AM   #10

crazygirl HB User

Quote:
Well maybe it is seasonal depression with mild ADD?? Or maybe you are simply just a creative person, a dreamer, who has difficulties with seasonal depression?

The fact that you say you feel like your doctor thinks youre faking is alarming! From what you said earlier I already didn't like this doc much... now I surely don't like her!! Doctors are supposed to listen to you, they are supposed to take you seriously, and try to help you. It doesnt sound like your doctor is listening, or taking you seriously.

Can you get a new doctor?

Maybe if you try light therapy for seasonal depression (or another type of treatment for depression) you can manage any left over ADD symptoms with nutritional interventions or other non medical methods.
hey, um yes i can get a new doc. and i am considering it... thank you for all you input it has helped.

-crazygirl-

Closed Thread