It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2004, 11:06 AM   #1

jsta6 HB User
Foods or diet choices that help add...

I heard oily fish? IS this true? What else?

TIA!

Old 01-08-2004, 07:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
Re: Foods or diet choices that help add...

Omega3 Fish oil can be helpful for ADD. Fish is brain food, I like taking mine in a supplement though, since it is practically impossible to eat enough fish to make a positive difference.

There are a number of things that can improve ADD symptoms. It really depends on the person. For me, I had to eliminate food dyes, red dye is the worst for me... well at least its bad for other people to be around me once Ive had it. For me foods/drinks with red dye are like drugs. I'm always hyper but it makes me way worse. It practically makes me manic.... bouncing off the walls, cant focus, dont need any sleep... CRAZY..

Eliminating dyes is helpful for many people with ADD. Some people are more sensitive to one color dye than another.

Sugars, food dyes, and processed foods are generally no good.

Hi protien low carb diets are usually helpful for ADDers.

Then there are of course a variety of nutritional supplements that can be helpful. Not sure if you are interested in those, or only in diet modifications.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2004, 10:23 AM   #3

Brian850 HB User

I would definetly reccomend Omega-3 Fatty Acids as a supplement, get something good from GNC, not one of those brandless versions online or in the supermarket. Get a version that has 3 different typer of oils in it, most good ones do. Fish is good, especially tuna, however you can not eat enough for it to benefit TOO much but it does help, however high mercury levels in fish should make you consider limiting your intake to once or twice a week at the most. I would also reccomend GNC's multivitamin which has everything you need in one 12 hour release capsule, it gives you all the high-quality vitamins your brain and body may be lacking. Like the last post said, a high protien diet is very good and ESPECIALLY EXCERSICE which releases natural calming and healing chemicalls just from the act of getting excersize, it is also a very fulfilling thing to do which can put your mind at ease. Hope this helps!

Old 01-11-2004, 12:46 PM   #4

Aurashim HB User

Yes, the red dyes make my ADHD son way more frazzled and bad tempered.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-11-2004 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the board posting guidelines. Thank you.

Old 01-26-2004, 07:21 PM   #5
(female)

KIDINSANITY HB User

From what I've heard, Carlson's Cod Liver Oil is good. I used "Coromega" for a while because it tastes like an orange creamsicle instead of fish.

Old 01-27-2004, 02:32 PM   #6

szarkam HB User

The red dyes and high sugar snacks make my daughter way too hyper, and we cut back gradually so she doesn't miss it as much as you would think.

Also found out the red dyes were big in cough medicines!

Old 02-11-2004, 12:18 PM   #7

King Conga HB User

In 1 way this thread is encouraging, in another it's the last I needed to hear. I just finished a mega bottle of Omega 3. Don't know what brand it was; will check when I get back home. How many do you take a day, or do you just take the recommended that's on the bottle? I usually just take 1 in the morning because, of course, I forget in the evening, and 2 in the morning tastes...well, like FISH! I've been doing low-carb variations for 5 yrs., and finally gave up because I couldn't keep weight off. Now, I don't know if these 2 factors were failures because I didn't have meds (Adderall) to compliment them, but I certainly haven't had that "Aha" moment where I suddenly knew how to prioritize my dozen projects I've started over the last 2 yrs. (not to mention the dozens in yrs. past).

My other serious thyroid factor that Free Spirit made me aware of is concerning me. Just as a general reference, do most Insurance plans cover that test?

Tanx Again,
King Conga

Old 02-11-2004, 04:20 PM   #8

szarkam HB User

Not sure about insurance covering the test. Call them and ask. They seem to cover less and less these days.

Old 03-03-2004, 07:53 AM   #9

jennbu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by * Free ~ Spirit *
Omega3 Fish oil can be helpful for ADD. Fish is brain food, I like taking mine in a supplement though, since it is practically impossible to eat enough fish to make a positive difference.

There are a number of things that can improve ADD symptoms. It really depends on the person. For me, I had to eliminate food dyes, red dye is the worst for me... well at least its bad for other people to be around me once Ive had it. For me foods/drinks with red dye are like drugs. I'm always hyper but it makes me way worse. It practically makes me manic.... bouncing off the walls, cant focus, dont need any sleep... CRAZY..

Eliminating dyes is helpful for many people with ADD. Some people are more sensitive to one color dye than another.

Sugars, food dyes, and processed foods are generally no good.

Hi protien low carb diets are usually helpful for ADDers.

Then there are of course a variety of nutritional supplements that can be helpful. Not sure if you are interested in those, or only in diet modifications.

I would d*****etly be interested in any of the nutritional supplements u can tell me about. I have my 6 year old on omega 3,6,9. I give it to him 2x's a day. Do u have any recomendations on how much a person should take? thanks for your info I see U all over this sight & u seem very knowlegeable. thanks jenn

Last edited by jennbu; 03-04-2004 at 04:37 AM.

Closed Thread