It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2004, 09:20 PM   #1

com1 HB User
Question Help for teenager with ADD

We have a 15 year old son in the 9th grade that was diagnosed several years ago with ADD and was tested again last year with the same diagnosis. Over the years we have tried various medecines. Over the summer and into the first few weeks of school we tried 60mg of Strattera which helpd him sleep but didn't really seem to improve his behavior in school. We switched back to Concerta and currently he is taking 2 x 36mg tablets each morning.

He constantly struggles in school. He can do the work and knows the material when we study but does horrible on test. He has a problem focusing in school, writting down his assignments and talkiing in class. We are working with the school system on a 504 designation and developing a structure that can help him.

The problem we have it he doesn't realize what he is doing sometimes. He says he is behaving in class and doing his work but the teachers say something different.

The other evening while we were out he ordered a pizza We found the box the next morning and asked him about it he denied it. We showed him the box with the delivery slip on it. He got real upset and started crying about it. We have had similiar situations where we know he has done something but he denies it. Seems like he blocks it out of his mind and can't remember what he does at times.

My wife and I struggle with this and how to help him.

Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2004, 09:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
Re: Help for teenager with ADD

Maybe he has something more serious than ADD. I know you say he had this diagnosis confirmed twice but there are many disorders that look just like ADD so it would be very easy to think that the correct diagnosis is ADD when it in fact is not.

Are you sure that he's not just lying to you trying not to get in trouble?

Does he truely block out or forget things he's done?

Old 01-11-2004, 04:23 PM   #3

thebee HB User
Re: Help for teenager with ADD

Sounds a lot like my 15 year old, he has been in so much trouble and they are really stupid things, but the law is the law,, he made death threats to someone on the internet, it was another kid he was fighting with. He didn't mean it, but it was taken very seriously and I understand that, but it has been rough, He has tried the strattera and it just dosen't seem to work, he can't take the ritilin any more, he is suppose to get help from the school but he dosen't seem to take anything seriously so they don't either, its a mess, I wish you luck and if by chance you do find something to help let us know!!

Closed Thread