It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2004, 04:30 AM   #1
(female)

dquist091391 HB User
Question anyone use strattera over 3months?

Has anyone switched from conserta cr over to strattera and gave it longer than 2 months of use
My son has been on concerta cr 54mg. have been given strattera to try at my request.Ive heard It takes at least 3+ months before any possitive results are seen
also very worried about the sudden change of meds cause he also takes paxil cr 12.5. my son is 12 years old .any feed back is helpful .I.m scared to change
he gets very difficult to handle if he reaches 12 noon without his meds.

Old 01-11-2004, 08:03 AM   #2
Inactive

Palms1 HB User
Re: anyone use strattera over 3months?

Strattera does not take AT LEAST three months, but can take UP to three months to build up in the body. Strattera has to build up in the system, while stimulants like Ritalin, Concerta etc. work immediately. Some people notice improvement on Strattera within the first week, some after two months. If you have not seen any improvement after three months on Strattera, then it doesn't work for your son.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2004, 05:20 AM   #3

suzy_Q HB User

My 8 year old son has been on Strattera since April. I did notice a difference in the first week or two along with side effects; extreme tiredness and nauseousness. I think it did take the full 2-3 months to get the entire effect. It's been great for us! The side effects did subside.

Old 01-12-2004, 05:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

We also noticed a *slight* improvement on straterra after a couple of weeks. It was after several months, just when we were about to give up on it, that we started noticing a really significant improvement.

I believe, dquist, that low dose stimulants can be given along with the straterra as you are "ramping up" the dose. It's worth talking to your doctor about.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:42 AM   #5
Inactive

hope_for_the_best HB User

My son was on it for a little over a month. The tiredness and stomach problems were problems but most importantly -- it didn't work for him.

He is now using a small dose of Ritalin LA and that seems to be helping him significantly.

Jerie

Old 01-22-2004, 09:24 AM   #6

hyperev HB User

I would consider his age and the effect this medication might have on puberty, namely the development of his sexual organs. Read some of the other posts by adult males, and the effect this medication had on them. Face it, Eli Lilly doesn't know what the effect of this medication will have on developing males over time, because they couldn't possibly have time to do the research. Some of the other medications out there have been around a long time, and the long term side effects are well documented.

Old 01-22-2004, 03:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperev
I would consider his age and the effect this medication might have on puberty, namely the development of his sexual organs. Read some of the other posts by adult males, and the effect this medication had on them.
Hmmm...

This is thought-provoking. I am reading ALOT about sexual difficulties in adult males on Straterra. I haven't read anything that led me to infer from these problems that the development of male sexual organs might be affected at puberty.

Can you point me to any information that led you to this concern? Or, is it the lack of information that worries you most?

Thanks.

Old 01-22-2004, 04:08 PM   #8

hyperev HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by index.html
Hmmm...

This is thought-provoking. I am reading ALOT about sexual difficulties in adult males on Straterra. I haven't read anything that led me to infer from these problems that the development of male sexual organs might be affected at puberty.

Can you point me to any information that led you to this concern? Or, is it the lack of information that worries you most?

Thanks.
The lack of information worries me most. Remember, this med hasn't been around that long, and there's no way Eli Lilly could research longterm effects with the rush to production of this medication. I can tell you that something is definitely going on down there. There is a very uncomfortable feeling in the prostate. Who knows what this could lead to, for both adult males and developing males. We know prostate cancer is one of the leading cancers in older males. Now, I'm not saying this can lead to cancer, but why mess with something we don't know about. I can tell you, I will never go on this stuff again based on my personal experience with it. I can also tell you I would never let a child of mine go on it either. Just my two-cents.

Old 01-22-2004, 07:26 PM   #9
(female)

jboon HB User

My son is 11 1/2 and has been on Strattera since March. He ALSO takes 36mg of Concerta with it. The combination of the two medications works very well for him. The Strattera reduces his general activity level and controls his anxiety, and it prevents the let down when the Concerta wears off. Additionally, the Strattera seems to inhibit many of the side effects he had while taking Concerta alone--namely, lack of appetite and severe insomnia. He now has NO trouble falling asleep at night and eats much better than he did while only on Concerta. The Concerta works for his focusing/attention and impulsivity. I was VERY concerned about the possibility of Strattera affecting his development during puberty (which he has not yet entered) after reading about the male side effects; however, my son has not been bothered by side effects from the Strattera.

Old 01-23-2004, 05:15 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboon
Additionally, the Strattera seems to inhibit many of the side effects he had while taking Concerta alone--namely, lack of appetite and severe insomnia. He now has NO trouble falling asleep at night and eats much better than he did while only on Concerta.

I was fascinated to read this, jboon, because we're seeing the same results with the combination although we've done the combination in reverse.

My son has been on straterra for several months. We have recently begun very slowly and very cautiously adding Metadate (same drug as Concerta, just a different delivery system). I was really worried about adding the stimulant to the straterra because he already had major issues with appetite suppression and occasional problems with sleep. On the combination, he is eating MUCH better and also sleeping better. Go figure.

I was glad to read that I wasn't the only one who had observed these effects from the combination!

Old 01-23-2004, 01:33 PM   #11
(female)

dquist091391 HB User

I appriciate all the feed back good or bad.Its weird cause I dropped the concerta to 36mg instead of 54mg and we started the strattera also.but my son has also been on paxil cr for a year now. plus they gave him a nose inhailer for before bed time cause he still wets every night and he's 12 years old! and yes we tried EVERYTHING else to treat this.anyway
the strattera is supposed to build up over time and the side effects are supposed to minimize along the way.my reason to try it is to get him off the stimulants all together.
his pychologist (she does all the med changes)said that some of the core ingridients in straterra should eventually help with the anxiety and the bed wetting problems so then we can taper off everything but the strattera.
straterra aids and effects the nerotransmitters in the brain not a narcotic that gives a drug induced releif of the symptoms.
what amounts are you guys giving of each or what were you on before when you were taking the strattera?

Old 01-23-2004, 02:05 PM   #12

suzy_Q HB User

Just fyi my son wet the bed til he was 6, even then he had to get up and pee a couple of times a night. During the day he peed alot. Since he's been on Strattera there are nights when he doesn't get up at all and he goes less frequently during the day also. Someone explained to me why it happens (how the drug affects this part of their body) but I don't recall. Good luck I know it's a drag...he's gotta feel pretty bad about it too.

Old 01-23-2004, 04:29 PM   #13
(female)

jboon HB User

Index and dquist,

My son took 54mg of Concerta for about a year and a half and it worked great for all of his ADHD symptoms. But, he was highly anxious, had NO appetite until around 9:00pm when the medicine wore off, and rarely was able to fall asleep before midnight. He did not gain any weight the last eight months he was on the Concerta. In March, we switched him to Strattera only (40mg). He gained 5 pounds the first two weeks he was on the Strattera and started going to sleep nightly between 9-10pm. Unfortunately, the Strattera did nothing to help his focusing/attention, and only minimally improved his impulsivity. BUT, his anxiety (night fears and panic attacks after medical procedures) while on Strattera virtually disappeared, his general activity level greatly decreased, and he could eat and sleep normally. So, the doctor added 36mg of Concerta to be taken WITH the Strattera. The combination seems to work very well for him--the ADHD is controlled, as is his anxiety, and he can eat and sleep. The additional benefit is that the Strattera seems to counteract the stimulant letdown. We'll probably continue the combination until it doesn't work or unless he develops problems from it.

Old 01-24-2004, 01:20 AM   #14

Dani11024 HB User

I'm in college & I took strattera for a while. It does help you calm down & helps w/concentration a lot. However, without the proper motivation & mental acceptance it won't do a lot of good.. except it might knock you out. I had to stop taking it b/c it was turning me into a hypersomniac.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #15
(female)

P & L HB User
Lightbulb Re: anyone use strattera over 3months?

I am a fifty year old female and have tried strattera recently. I became even more depressed then usual and did not function well. After that experience I read that people with type O blood should not take antidepressants with MAO inhibitors. Maybe that had something to do with the way I reacted to Strattera. I wanted to pass that on. Maybe I could save someone from that experience.

Last edited by P & L; 02-11-2006 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Closed Thread