It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2004, 12:33 PM   #1
(female)

Karon HB User
Clonodine only

Are there any ADHD children out there on Clonodine only??? We find our 7 year old grandson when on his Ritilan, though focussed becomes nervous, it's almost as if he's sad or depressed. If something funny happens he will laugh but he is sad . When we ask if he's sad he says no. Anyway the doctor is thinking of including Clonodine because he has started a small tic. I've heard some kids take only Clonodine. Would it be for school only like the Ritilan I wonder or every day??? We are worried about him falling asleep in school as I read in here somewhere. Please help. Tx Karon again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2004, 03:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Clonodine only

My son took clonidine for a while for his tics and hyperactivity. It helped a great deal with those issues, but does not help with the concentration/attention problems.

If you do go the clonidine route, I highly recommend the patch form over taking it orally. Orally is fairly short-acting and so the kids have alot more problems with sleepiness after they take it and, then, rebound hyperactivity as it wears off. The patch worked consistently well for about 4-5 days for us (as opposed to the 7 that is advertised).

Apparently, a lot of children have trouble with skin irritation from the patch form but it was never a problem for my son. The problem we did have with it was constipation. I didn't realize that it was the clonidine causing it until we stopped the clonidine.

Hope this helps....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2004, 04:26 PM   #3
Inactive

Palms1 HB User

My son's doctor explained to me, that Clonidine can be given with a stimulant in the morning. Clonidine given alone makes a child sleepy and is often prescribed for sleep problems to be taken in the evening. But in combination with a stimulant like Ritalin, the Ritalin counter-effects the sleepyness. In other words, I would not give Clonidine only, but combine it with the stimulant.

Old 01-12-2004, 07:18 PM   #4

vrie HB User

Also, clonodine needs to build up in the system, so it is an "everyday" drug. Low doses can be skipped and restarted easily, as in my daughter's case. Also, the sleepiness tends to wear off, not occurring as often after a few months.

Closed Thread